Diploma or GED?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diploma or GED?

Diploma or GED?

Hey guys, I'm a junior in High school, about to finish of the year. I only have a few more pounds to lose to make DEP weight, and I have a couple seconds to knock off to make the run time, so I was wondering, should I go ahead and take the GED test? I'm not sure if I should go to high school next year or not. What do you all think? Diploma or GED?

If you get a GED it will be real hard for you to join without also getting 15 college credits.

You're not sure you should finish high school? Why not?

There are a lot of drop-outs, quitters, and losers out there today who want to take the easy way out.

Marines have honor, pride, and integrity and get the job done no matter how difficult, tiring, or distasteful it is.

I would not only encourage you to finish high school, but to set your sights high and work your butt off to finish with all A's. Then join the Corps knowing you have that pride, integrity, and honor, and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm going through the DEP paper work right now, I droped out of high a few years ago and I am now in college doing my 15 credits.. I don't know if they even recruit you if you ONLY have a GED, My recruiters turned some one down just yesterday because he only had a GED.

From my personal experiance, I would just finish High School.

GED waivers are rare; even when recruiters aren't making mission. They've only got x number of waivers for each region for each quarter (or year, my scoop is old).

Get your 15 or go back to high school. For the OP, it's a no-brainer. Graduate now, the Marine Corps will always be here.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post

There are a lot of drop-outs, quitters, and losers out there today who want to take the easy way out.

Marines have honor, pride, and integrity and get the job done no matter how difficult, tiring, or distasteful it is.

I would not only encourage you to finish high school, but to set your sights high and work your butt off to finish with all A's. Then join the Corps knowing you have that pride, integrity, and honor, and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
    Great Answer!!!
    I wish every Poolee would read this.
    Growing up for me was, School, Sports, Eagle Scout, Girls, Graduating High School with Honors and 4 days later Marine Corps Boot Camp at Parris Island.
    And that was in the 1970's.
    I know things have changed along the years but as my Marine Brother said, "set your sights high".
    Semper Fi American!!!
    Rocky

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I left High School after my Sophomore year after my mother suffered a severe illness and the responsibility fell unto me to take care of her during the daytime. I did go on to college and am presently a Sophomore at Missouri State, but if you're only one year away from earning your High School diploma, continue with it. By all means, my friend, continue. It's a difficult road to walk without a High School diploma, and like others above have said, you will have a very slim chance of entering the United States Marine Corps without college credits alongside your GED.

Stick it out, I can't guarantee it, but I feel strongly that you'll be much more proud of yourself having earned that High School diploma.

Finish high school, get your diploma, then ship off to boot.

Real Marines never settle for less when they have the opportunity to excel. If you don't get your diploma now, you will regret it later- I guarantee you that.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by HarrisSprt View Post
    Hey guys, I'm a junior in High school, about to finish of the year. I only have a few more pounds to lose to make DEP weight, and I have a couple seconds to knock off to make the run time, so I was wondering, should I go ahead and take the GED test? I'm not sure if I should go to high school next year or not. What do you all think? Diploma or GED?
    You want fries with that burger??

Seriously dude there is no doubt that you should go for your diploma. It looks better and a GED might not get you into the Marines. You'll probably regret later getting that GED instead of your diploma. Plus senior year in high school is a fun year, as long as you keep up your studies. Go for the diploma!

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post

Thats what I was thinking, thank you all for your help. I just had a guy mention the option to me and I wanted to get some more experienced opinions.

I have a question on private schools?
    My best friends sister is wanting to join the Marines. She is worried tho because she didn't finish high schoo, but she did go to a homeschool and got her diploma from there. The thing she is worried about is will the Marine Corps honor the school? She went to Continental Academy in Fl, I think. Thank you for any help.
    P.S. when I asked my recruiter he told me no cause it is like a GED. but i think he thought it was me a diploma from there.

Finish High School by all means. I quit school my senior year due to me not caring about whether I graduated or not and at that time you could get in with out a high school diploma. I took the GED later on and passed it but still wasn't happy so I went to High School in Okinawa while I was in and got my diploma.I never regretted it more that I didn't apply myself and go on to college.As it has been said to you get your diploma,the Marines will wait.

Honestly, listen to these Marines. I got my GED and it's more work than if I would have just finished High school. You'll need 15 college credits, basically a semester if your a full time student.

Problem doesn't lie within getting your GED that's the easy part, hard part is actually getting those 15 credits. And I don't know you personally but do you have a couple grand laying around for a semester?
    I know for me it wasn't hard giving up some money to enlist but you may feel different.

Stick high school out, you'll miss it soon enough.

i got my GED then went to college to get my 15 credits.the Marine Corps only take about 5% of GED graduates,the 15 college credits is to prove your not a dumbazz or a quitter.I know the stigma that comes with GED's sucks but in some situations (like mine) it was the only viable option at the time.if you have the option,I would just finish high school.you only got senior year left anyway.

Thread Information