Corpsman celebrates birthday by giving gift of life to Filipina toddler
Create Post

Exclamation Corpsman celebrates birthday by giving gift of life to Filipina toddler

Corpsman celebrates birthday by giving gift of life to Filipina toddler

5/8/2009 By Lance Cpl. Antwain J. Graham , Marine Corps Bases Japan

MASBATE PROVINCE, Philippines — What started as a normal birthday turned into a life-changing experience for a U.S. Navy Seabee, leaving him marked for life as a hero.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Christopher Thomas, a hospital corpsman with Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 40 participating in Balikatan 2009, saved the life of 19-month-old Maria Fe Issabelle Fernandez, a Masbate Province toddler, who nearly drowned after falling into a pool at the Bituon Beach Resort in Masbate, Philippines, April 6.

"I had never saved a life before, and the moment felt surreal," said Thomas, a native of The Woodlands, Texas. "I can honestly say this is the best birthday gift I've ever gotten."

Thomas was returning to the resort from a day working with members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines and fellow Seabees when U.S. Navy Seaman William Hardwick, an equipment operator constructionman, raced over and grabbed him.

"I didn't know exactly what to do, but I saw the doc (corpsman) and immediately ran to get his help," Hardwick recounted.

Once Hardwick led Thomas to the child, who was unconscious, the corpsman took charge of the situation, and his medical training kicked in.

"I held her in my arms and gave her back thrusts to force the water out of her," said Thomas, who explained the child wasn't breathing due to water in the lungs. "After about seven attempts to get her to breathe, she started coughing and then crying...then I knew she was OK."

Thomas instructed her family to rush her to the hospital for further treatment.

Maria's grandfather, Manuel Inventor, explained she wandered away from their nearby home and over to the pool by herself. Inventor found the girl floating face-down in the water, and called for help. Hardwick, who happened to be nearby, came running and recognized he needed the help of a trained professional.

After the child was released from the hospital and returned to her family, they contacted the Seabee unit to thank Thomas and let him know Maria was doing well.

"We are so thankful to him for what he did," Inventor said. "I realized soon after, had it not been for the U.S. forces being here in the first place, my granddaughter would not still be here."

Though the life-saving procedure took about eight minutes, Thomas said for him, the time felt like only a few seconds.

"The whole thing was a blur, but I didn't hesitate when I heard what happened," Thomas said. "I just got my head in the zone and did what I had to do."

Thomas said he doesn't feel like a hero because he was simply doing his job.

Balikatan 2009, which officially ended April 30, was a bilateral humanitarian assistance and training activity that promoted unity and readiness between the Philippines and the United States.

Balikatan is a Tagalog word that means "shoulder-to-shoulder" and characterizes the philosophy and intent behind the mission.

Ellie

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    YES!...YES!...good training, and some experience, get's the job done RIGHT! One "Attaboy!" to Hm3 Thomas!!.....DOC

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Job Well Done!!!
    It's so nice to read positive news about our Nations Military.

Thread Information