"Pinning"
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Pinning"

"Pinning"

Does anybody know where the 'tradition' of pinning came from when a marine gets promoted? We're having a promotion ceremony this afternoon, and I was thinking about it, wondering what the story was on it.

Credits
    Savings
    Do they still pin your chevrons on directly to your chest? I would have thought that was hazing.

No, they only pin through the collar of the blouse, like normal. But I'm talking about 'pinning' - after the ceremony when some other marines by whatever means they can come up with, force the chevrons into your chest. Yeah, it is hazing, but still happens.

Credits
    Savings
    When I got promoted to Corporal my Squadron CO pinned my chevrons directly into my chest then the First Sgt. and then my OIC. Once that was done at formation that evening everyone that was my rank or above was encouraged to stay so that they each could punch you once in each arm and knee you once in each leg. That must have been why they promoted me on a Friday. That wasn't called hazing it was called getting your bloodstripes and you were expected to buy everyone beer that night with your extra pay. Ahhhhh the good ol' days.

Quote Originally Posted by TJR1070 View Post
    When I got promoted to Corporal my Squadron CO pinned my chevrons directly into my chest then the First Sgt. and then my OIC. Once that was done at formation that evening everyone that was my rank or above was encouraged to stay so that they each could punch you once in each arm and knee you once in each leg. That must have been why they promoted me on a Friday. That wasn't called hazing it was called getting your bloodstripes and you were expected to buy everyone beer that night with your extra pay. Ahhhhh the good ol' days.
    Yep, same thing for me too.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Had a rough time getting my arms above head after picking up Sgt

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Same thing here with the added "requirement" when I was promoted to sergeant...that evening, my promotion warrant was posted behind the bar and I had to "wet it down" by buying a full round of drinks for the house. I still have my tab ticket...it cost me $47.

Quote Originally Posted by bhaderkhan View Post
    No, they only pin through the collar of the blouse, like normal. But I'm talking about 'pinning' - after the ceremony when some other marines by whatever means they can come up with, force the chevrons into your chest. Yeah, it is hazing, but still happens.
    Never forget them painful days, Btw capitalize Marines.

This is about the most stupid and wrong "tradition" we have as Marine's...

Marine's don't hurt Marine's....what is so difficult to understand.....

A guy I knew at Cherry Point got "pinned" one day by a GySgt who kneed him in the leg to "pin" his blood stripe on. Unfortunately, he hit the poor kid in the knee and broke it, ruining him forever.

Yeah, that's really great leadership there.

When is it going to stop??

What happened to a handshake and something like "hey, congrats Marine"..

It's stupid, it's technically assault, and should NOT be condoned in any form....why would we hurt that which we cherish??

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    SSgt Ramsey sometimes old tradition are hard to break,earned those stripes,got them pinned and got the hand shake also,It,s been a Marine thing and most likely will still be around after we are long gone to our next tour of duty.Semper FI Brother

Completely understand, but that doesn't make it right....

I got "pinned" as a Cpl, and I beat the holy hell out of my Platoon Sgt also requiring him to have stitches and a broken nose when Mr Knee met Mr Face when he dropped....then he charged me with assault and the Bn Commander laughed at him in his face.

I never allowed it if I could when I was a Cpl and Sgt to the Marine's being promoted. It's a stupid and barbaric act and should not be condoned.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Ramsey View Post
    A guy I knew at Cherry Point got "pinned" one day by a GySgt who kneed him in the leg to "pin" his blood stripe on. Unfortunately, he hit the poor kid in the knee and broke it, ruining him forever.
    SSgt Ramsey, I know exactly what you mean. When I picked up Corporal, one of my Sergeants was on leave. When he got back and noticed that he'd missed my promotion, he pulled me aside so he could have his turn pinning me. When I was younger I broke my collar bone (twice) and it is somewhat deformed (no physical hinderance though) where it is a little lower than the other one. When he pinned my collar, he did it so hard that the chevron stuck into the bone; that hurt like hell! Even worse, when he got me for the blood stripe he slipped a little just like the guy you knew, hit me in the knee. I dunno if it would have been better for him to hit my thigh full force or that he hit my knee with less because of the slip because my knee didn't have any permanent damage; couldn't walk for a couple of days but other than that I was fine. As far as the whole "tradition" of it goes, though, it is now definitely considered hazing. In my A school, anyone who would "pin" another Marine for promotion would get NJP'd; add insult to injury, the Marine who received the "pin" would also be NJP'd for allowing the hazing. That's stupid, I know; sometimes Marines were held down so they couldn't get away (they wouldn't have tried to run except that they didn't want to get in trouble), yet if the senior Marines found out about it, the new promotee still got NJP'd. I saw a couple of Marines pick up rank one day only to be put on restriction with extra duties the next.

Unfortunately,some people take things to extremes. When I got pinned, it was just enough to break the skin - some slaps on the collar. I have, however, seen some guys wind up and punch as hard as they can, and once, like Cpl Hawk, I saw a kid get pinned so hard that the pin stuck in the bone. That's just plain stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by gc5953 View Post
    Unfortunately,some people take things to extremes. When I got pinned, it was just enough to break the skin - some slaps on the collar. I have, however, seen some guys wind up and punch as hard as they can, and once, like Cpl Hawk, I saw a kid get pinned so hard that the pin stuck in the bone. That's just plain stupid.
    hurts like hell gettin it out, too!

Today's problem with pinning or hazing is that Marines take it too far.

I got my leg "dead checked" once and I couldn't walk for three days. Leg swelled up and had to take meds for it.

If an act done to a Marine doesnt't make him faster, stronger, or smarter than why do it to him? This "Macho" attitude is going to bite someone one day. I hate being called a ***** just because I rather not get my arms punched until they turn black.

Thread Information