Running Shoes
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Shoes

Running Shoes

I am finally parting ways with my running shoes from the Corps and am in need of an upgrade. Who has got some suggestions for a top notch pair of running shoes that they are currently happy with?

I have a pair of New Balance 473's and I like them pretty good. I originally had a pair of Nike's when I first started getting back in shape for the Guard and I was getting some real bad shin splints. Went to a good sports equipment store and had them look at my feet, and they'll recommend a shoe for you.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    New Balance is recommended by the American Podiactric Society. Did I spell that right???

Thank you Gentlemen.

I would say Asics, or New Balance. Asics are great - I have them now.

New Balance is also top-notch. When it comes to running sneakers, I go for the brands that only make sneakers.

I've blown out more Nike's, Adidas, and Reebok's then I care to remember.

Good running sneakers are worth their weight in gold.

My advise is to ignore the brand, color and cost... Go to the store try on every pair of running shoes from every brand. Try them on, then go for a run around the store with each pair on your feet. You'll be amazed at what pair you walk out of there with. It's not about what works for others, it's what works for you. best of luck

Keep in mind that depending on the mileage you're putting in, running shoes should be replaced pretty frequently. It makes a huge difference. Just my two cents.

Agreed... running shoes need to be replaced every 500 miles.

Even if they still "look" good, they won't be providing the cushion your joints and bones need.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarter73 View Post
    My advise is to ignore the brand, color and cost... Go to the store try on every pair of running shoes from every brand. Try them on, then go for a run around the store with each pair on your feet. You'll be amazed at what pair you walk out of there with. It's not about what works for others, it's what works for you. best of luck
    I disagree, I understand your point, but I disagree with it.

Just because they feel good in the store has no bearing on how they'll feel after a few miles. You cannot judge a sneaker, or how it will protect your foot by trotting in a store.

Prancing around the store isn't the same as running on the pavement, sand, dirt or mud.

One of the main reasons why people have foot problems related to running is primarily due to poor sneaker choice. And they do just what you said - if it feels good in the store it must be a winner, wrong. Sketcher's or Van's might feel great in the store, and they work great skateboarding, but they won't stand a chance over long distances travelling on harsh surfaces.

I've got miles, upon miles, of run time logged: prior to being in the Corps; while I was in; and now that I am out; and I have never had a problem with a good pair running sneakers made by a good running sneaker company.

Go with a known brand that specializes in running sneakers.

Yes I agree... I wasn't saying pick a no-name brand... and I never prance

That made me laugh ... the Bruins game last night made me cry

I went to specialty running shoe store, the clerk had me run outside for him, then came back with a few choices... after running outside in each pair we landed on Saucony... I would have never picked them off the shelf, but they are the best for me.

I run 50 miles a week, and the right shoe makes all the difference.

I prefer Saucony as I can select my arch height and my pronation.

I currently have a pair of Saucony Grid Sinister, mid arch, natural pronation.

Saucony Shoe Advisor link:
    http://www.saucony.com/ShoeAdvisor.aspx?gen=m

I'm not discussing the bruins today..... :)

Quote Originally Posted by jcarter73 View Post
    Yes I agree... I wasn't saying pick a no-name brand... and I never prance

That made me laugh ... the Bruins game last night made me cry

I went to specialty running shoe store, the clerk had me run outside for him, then came back with a few choices... after running outside in each pair we landed on Saucony... I would have never picked them off the shelf, but they are the best for me.

I run 50 miles a week, and the right shoe makes all the difference.

I agree, Saucony is another good running sneaker manufacturer. Like New Balance - that is all they do. Specialization is good when you are talking about protecting your dogs.

Any good sport/sneaker store worth anything will let you run outside with them, some stores will even let you take them home for the night if you buy there regularly. Here where I am, they have a Decathlon sports that will let you take them home for the night for a run - that is great.

Never tried them yet but from what I understand you can get some good deals through Runners World and they have a very liberal return policy.

If you can find a 'dedicated' running store, spend the extra time and effort to make the trip. Not only can they size you appropriately but most have some type of camera/treadmill setup to analyze your gait as you run. Getting the right size and type of shoe is imperitive, especially when running a lot. I wound up in a size 13E New Balance 859 (previous shoe was an Aisics Kayano size 11 sized and recommend by a generic sporting goods store) after visiting Boulder Running Company.

Anyone have any info on these? Any idea if the Marine Corps has "banned" these shoes as some governing bodies have for international competition?

http://www.firststreetonline.com/Hea...es.axd?cid=406

Thread Information