Onslow County Vietnam Veterans First-phase Dedication Ceremony
Create Post

Exclamation Onslow County Vietnam Veterans First-phase Dedication Ceremony

ONSLOW COUNTY VIETNAM VETERANS FIRST-PHASE DEDICATION CEREMONY

WHEN: SATURDAY, JUNE 13TH AT 11 A.M.

WHY: JOIN US TO CELEBRATE THE COMPLETION OF THE FIRST PHASE OF THE MEMORIAL AS WE RECOGNIZE AND REMEMBER THE 58,229 MEN AND WOMEN WHO LOST THEIR LIVES DEFENDING OUR COUNTRY

WHERE: LEJEUNE MEMORIAL GARDENS AT THE INTERSECTION OF LEJEUNE BLVD. AND MONTFORD POINT ROAD.

Ellie

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    All of the Marines, and Corpsmen, who were KIA, or died as a result of their wounds, in Navy hospitals, DESERVE our respect, and should be remembered for the life they have missed, BUT....I would gladly, and happily, trade my 41 years of life with anyone of those fine MEN! Those of us who have survived, more than 40 years, suffer terrible guilt....for living. My heart, and prayers go out to the families, and friends of those men........SEMPER FIDELIS......Doc Greek

Vietnam memorial nearing completion
    Comments 6 | Recommend 1
    May 12, 2009 - 2:45 PM
    AMANDA HICKEY

It took nearly 10 years and almost $2 million dollars, but phase one of the Onslow Vietnam Veterans Memorial is nearly complete, organization officials say.

"Right now, it doesn't look like anything but the way this is set up, it's all going to come together in about a 10-day time period. You're going to go out there one day and see dirt and truck tracks and metal frame. ... Two weeks later, you're going to go out there and there it is," said Pat Walker, secretary of the Onslow Vietnam Veterans Memorial Foundation.

At the June 13 dedication ceremony, the wall will include the more than 58,000 service members who died in Vietnam. The names will be etched into the glass wall, and the walkway and basic portion of the fountain will be present, said President Kenji Horn.

"The wall will be up and that's the important part. We wanted to have the wall up for people to see, for veterans to see," he said.

Among the veterans Horn wants to see on the wall is his father retired Gunnery Sgt. Theldon Horn, a Purple Heart veteran who was wounded in Vietnam when his helicopter was shot down.

"We want as many vets to see this while they still can. This is all for the Vietnam vets and we just want them to see it and know that, while it's long overdue, they are appreciated," he said.

The foundation is also selling more than 100 5' x 7' black granite plaques that will be installed beneath the glass panels, Walker said.

"When they're gone, that's it. There are no more, never will be any more," she said.

Each plaque costs $500 and can hold up to four lines of script, which Walker said is perfect for dedicating the plaques to a veteran or long-time service member.

All money from plaque sales will go to the memorial.

"Every penny goes to the memorial, every dime. We have never, over the 10-year period, had any paid employees. Everybody has done this on a volunteer basis. Every dime we have ever raised has gone right back into this memorial," Walker said.

Visit www.onslowvietnammemorial.org, for more information about the memorial or plaques,

Contact military reporter Amanda Hickey at 910-219-8461 or ahickey@freedomenc.com.

Ellie

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kjjo3h-webvietmemorialworkcmyk.jpg‎
Views:	172
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	7435  

Memorial helps heal old wounds
    Comments 2 | Recommend 1
    June 13, 2009 - 5:40 PM
    AMANDA HICKEY

It took a lot for Ronald Hunter to drive from Hubert to downtown Jacksonville and see the dedication of the Onslow Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Hunter served three and a half tours in Vietnam while in the Navy. He knew "a few" of the more than 58,000 names listed alphabetically and etched in the memorial's glass walls.

He tried several years ago to make the trip to Washington to see the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall, but the moment was overwhelming.

"I couldn't drive to Washington ... I'm glad they have a memorial here I can come to," Hunter said. "It's beautiful."

More than 300 people gathered at the memorial Saturday for the dedication of the first phase, which took nearly a decade and $2 million to complete.

"It's something my heart has needed for a long time," Hunter said as tears rolled down his cheek.

Ray Pavik drove three hours from Chatham County to see the memorial. During his three tours in Vietnam, Pavik lost a few friends but they weren't the only ones.

"I think I lost more when I came back than seeing them die over there. Too many brothers came back and killed themselves," he said.

The memorial was "a long time coming," Pavik said.

"It feels good," Pavik said. "I'm glad they put this thing together."

Peggy Eckenrode, of Jacksonville, has two children serving in the military but it was a friend from high school's name she recognized on the wall.

John Roach, who was in the Army, graduated from high school with Eckenrode in 1965 in Newton Falls, Ohio.

"It's great wherever they get recognized," she said.

The memorial still has phases two and three to complete, which will include walkways, a covered area and a welcome center.

Contact Amanda Hickey at 910-219-8461 or ahickey@freedomenc.com. Read the Lejeune Deployed blog at http://lejeunedeployed.freedomblogging.com.

Ellie

Sure wish I had known about the ceremony. I was working the "Wall That Heals" in Wilmington but sure would have gone there for the ceremony.
    Will be there this week to see what is going on though. Several high school buddies and four Brothers who were KIA the day I was wounded are listed.
    Semper Fi

I'll make it up there to see it,and when I do I'll stop in to see ya Ellie....

Let me know and I will go with you to see it. I am right on the way!

Stopped by the Memorial yesterday while in Jacksonville. It is not yet completed, but it is beautiful. I'd say it is about 75% finished. All the etched glass panels are up but they are still working on the center. Great job!

When it is completed...I will let You know...

Ellie

Thanks Ellie.

Credits
    Savings

Someday this will be one of the best Memorial site outside D.C.

As Major Gen. Smith said at the dedication, that this 26 acre site should
    have Memorials for Korea, Gulf War, and the wars in Iraq & Afganistan.
    We now have three Memorials on this site, Beirut Memorial, A steel beam
    from 911, Vietnam Memorial.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00019.jpg‎
Views:	130
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	7626   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00006.jpg‎
Views:	139
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	7627   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00012.jpg‎
Views:	137
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	7628  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00014.jpg‎
Views:	129
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	7629  

Proud to be a Vetran and part of this Memorial

My husband participated in the the glass sandblasting of the 58,229 names and worked 6 weeks straight without a day off. I am very proud of his involvement in this memorial. He is a veteran himself and this memorial is a salute to honor all who gave their lives. My husband now runs ArtMushroom - a stained glass company based in North Carolina (www.ArtMushroom.com).

Danah

Thread Information