How does vehicle registration for active duty work?
Create Post

How does vehicle registration for active duty work?

When I hit the fleet do I have to have my vehicle registered wherever I am stationed at? For example: I live in IL now, lets say I get stationed at Camp Pendleton. Do I have to register the car in CA since I'm stationed there but am still technically an IL resident with a valid IL license? How exactly does that work? I realize the car has to be registered somewhere, but does it have to be the state that you're stationed in?

you can keep it registered in Il same with your DL

Thank you for the response Sergeant. So if I read that right I wouldn't have to worry about any state inspections for wherever I'm stationed, just the IL state rules?

Quote Originally Posted by wolf0259 View Post
    Thank you for the response Sergeant. So if I read that right I wouldn't have to worry about any state inspections for wherever I'm stationed, just the IL state rules?
    If you go to California (or states with similar emissions laws) you have to be able to pass state emissions laws.

When you get stationed where the Marine Corps decides to send you, then use the search engine on your PC and look up DMV for that particular state. Engage mind before opening mouth.

and check with the laws for Il inregards to Cars and DL's and Do Not reg the car In CA they have a law that it cost more to reg a out of state car then a car you got there I have seen cars from Hi and Alaska here in Ky and from every where else too

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sell it or keep it at home. There will be plenty of Marines that have vehicles that you can hitch a ride with. The last thing you want is having a vehicle somewhere when you get deployed.
    Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    When you get stationed where the Marine Corps decides to send you, then use the search engine on your PC and look up DMV for that particular state. Engage mind before opening mouth.
    With all due respect Gunny I did read the rules of the DMV for California and found they were confusing and did not answer my question specifically hence why I asked. Granted I do not know where I will be stationed, that is the state I am concerned about.

Look, when you get stationed somewhere you don't have to change your vehicle's registration or your DL at all.

But, if you want to register your vehicle on base you will have to comply with emissions laws and show proof of insurance. I've had two cars registered on two bases and never had to register in the state I was in; never wanted to.

You need to keep your tags and stuff up to date though, especially if you're driving home on leave.

So stay with your home state, keep your crap up to date and you will be fine. If you have a newer car then you shouldn't have to worry about emissions either.

I can't imagine it's really changed that much since 2003.

also

Also keep in mind, that not only will your car have to be in good shape. But there is this thing, or at least when I was in. That was called base vehichle inspection, plus there are times when your Battalion, Airwing will do a vehicle safety inspection. If you fail that your command will tell you can't drive the car until said infractions are fixed. So if you have a peice of shi$ car, that will probably not pass that inspection don't waste your time bringing it with you. Also when you get stationed at your Perm Duty Station for the love of god, don't go out, and buy a car from some shister dealership that is going to charge you instrest that is ungodly high. I have seen so many Marines get screwed by bying a car there first weeked at there Perm Duty Station.

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking I probably will just sell my car after boot as its "lightly" modified and would not pass a California inspection as a result. That is my primary reason for asking. Not to mention even under best case scenario the car will be at least 6 mo older by the time I can use it again for more than the short term.

Depending on how long I'll be at my Perm Duty Station will determine if I get a replacement vehicle or not. No sense buying a car if I can around fine without it or if my unit deploys in a few months. I know what you mean about interest rates though as my current vehicle had a higher interest rate than I would have preferred given my credit. The next loan will not be anywhere near that and any car place that tries otherwise will not get my business.

Thread Information