USMCRDPI Wildlife
Create Post

USMCRDPI Wildlife

I know I have more important things to worry about but for those of you who went to Parris Island I had a few questions.

The first question is about fire ants. Now I'm not deathly allergic to them as in if I get bit by one or two I get a big welt but no ill side effects but the most I have ever been bitten by was 13. That time I got welts all over my body, my face swelled a little and I was uncontrollaby itching. But I had no trouble breathing. I was wondering how bad the fire ants are on Parris Island?

The second question was about snakes. How many of you saw snakes on the Island and what kind were they?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter01 View Post
    I know I have more important things to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by hunter01 View Post
    I know I have more important things to worry about but for those of you who went to Parris Island I had a few questions.

The first question is about fire ants. Now I'm not deathly allergic to them as in if I get bit by one or two I get a big welt but no ill side effects but the most I have ever been bitten by was 13. That time I got welts all over my body, my face swelled a little and I was uncontrollaby itching. But I had no trouble breathing. I was wondering how bad the fire ants are on Parris Island?

The second question was about snakes. How many of you saw snakes on the Island and what kind were they?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Seriously? You're asking this out of all the things you could ask? There will be a corpsman around if you need him. If you get bit, oh well. Suck it the fvck up. If it becomes an issue like you're deathly ill, then speak up. I think a lot of you poolee's under estimate just how little sympathy you're going to receive from your new Mom's and Dad's once you step on those footprints. If you think a couple of fire ants or sand fleas is a concern, then you have got one heck of a surprise waiting on you and that surprise wears a Smokey Bear!

As for snakes, forget about them. I'm sure they're around but if you don't mess with them, they'll leave you alone. Just because you have an M-16 doesn't mean you go poking at one if you come across it.

Thank you Corporal. I'm not looking for sympathy or anything like that I was just curious. My wife actually thinks I'll die before I ask for help, lol. And I asked about the snakes just so I could be on the lookout if their was a whole bunch or something. It would suck to get bitten and then have to be recycled because of a stupid rattlesnake.

Seems like most Marines in their tour of duy at one time or another get to be stationed at Camp Pendleton. Wait until you get there and you can play with all the snakes you want to play with.

PI was my first experience with fire ants... lots and lots of fire ants. Just double check what your stepping/sitting on outside, especially when it's still dark out.

Don't be a snake charmer, as was stated. We had some genius do that at SOI, grabbed the thing by the tail... well needless to say he was all jacked up.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Seems like most Marines in their tour of duy at one time or another get to be stationed at Camp Pendleton. Wait until you get there and you can play with all the snakes you want to play with.
    When we were at Camp Pendleton for the infantry training part of boot, one of our JDIs wanted us to catch the biggest tarantula we could find for him. The winner was just a bit shy of palm-sized!

Credits
    Savings
    You need to get your head out of your ass. The least of your worries are the bugs and snakes. They got to eat too. If you get affected by them...the DI's will get you fixed up. You need to lock it up and worry more about your drill instructers thrashing you on the quarterdeck for having your head up your ass,

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    The only snake and wildlife you need to worry about is....when you leave the island and go home on leave!

You will get bit by plenty of bugs/insects while on the Island, suck it up. The bites are all part of the training experience, they teach discipline. When you get on the Island, the bugs will be the least of your problems.

Why does it seem like so many poolees are wussies these days? Just makes more work for the Drill Instructors. Grow some balls! I can lend you a pair of mine 'til you get your sh!t together.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GravityRain View Post
    You need to get your head out of your ass. The least of your worries are the bugs and snakes. They got to eat too. If you get affected by them...the DI's will get you fixed up. You need to lock it up and worry more about your drill instructers thrashing you on the quarterdeck for having your head up your ass,

HAHAHAHA!!!
    Good Answer Gunny

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Yes, and it's funny that most Marines, that are bitten, are either bitten on the face or hands/fore arms.

Snakes are no problem that an e-tool can't solve.

Unless they're on a mutha fvckin plane!

I know a kid who got dropped from his platoon during the crucible because he was allergic to fire ants and never told anyone.

Thanks for the responses. I'm not really worried like I said before just curious. I'm not worried about most bugs I just have a slight allergy to fire ants but I know this so I know to watch out for them. Also I definitely don't plan on playing with snakes so from what ya'll have said I don't have a very high chance of running into one and getting recycled because I get bit. I am an avid hunter/fisher and I used to work on a dairy farm so I am more than used to the outdoors and the things that come with that. I just asked the question because I was curious and pretty much every other question has been asked and so I wasn't going to repeat a question.

Thread Information