Adressing a Drill Instructor
Create Post

Adressing a Drill Instructor

I made sure I searched this so I wouldn't look like an idiot, and I couldn't find the answer to my question.

Do Drill Instructors get upset if you don't speak fast? My recruiter told me that when you ask permission to speak you have to say "Sir, this recruit requests to speak to Drill Instructor (their rank and name) Sir!"

That doesn't really roll of my tongue so should I practice yelling it or will I be ok?

Yea you better say it extremely fast or they are going to tell you to shut the f*** up. Also if you speak slow and come of as an idiot you will never get much to say. We had one guy who took almost a minute to get out like 10 words. Needless to say no one ever listened to him.

Also its "Good morning (proper greeting) sir, Recruit (enter your dumbass name here) requests permission to speak to (rank and name) sir"

Don't sandwich your "sir's."

And yes, say it fast or they won't be very fast in responding. They may just take a little pause and stare at you, then tell you to either fvck off, or just say no even if it's not a yes or no question.

Ok. I don't stutter but it isn't easy to say for me so I'll practice. Thank you for the responses.

Loud too. I mean on top of your lungs screaming.

And always at the position of attention.

It's not easy to say it when you're under stress or you have to remember the firewatch ditty, the count on deck; and it's 0130 and the OOD is in your face waiting for your report.

You're gonna practice it at Boot, you're gonna get it wrong, and you're gonna pay for it. Study knowledge and PT. You should learn the greeting of the day anyway; it's proper manners. You'll learn the rest at Boot and in your head when things come together and you drop the "I" and join the "we".

Quote Originally Posted by alauver View Post
    Yea you better say it extremely fast or they are going to tell you to shut the f*** up. Also if you speak slow and come of as an idiot you will never get much to say. We had one guy who took almost a minute to get out like 10 words. Needless to say no one ever listened to him.

Also its "Good morning (proper greeting) sir, Recruit (enter your dumbass name here) requests permission to speak to (rank and name) sir"
    And the Drill Instructor's reply is "Whats good about it", then you visit the pit.

Try pulling the first fire watch after being picked up. That was a lot of fun. Standing front post on the quarterdeck with our kill hat running around shaking recruits racks and screaming while everyone is trying to sleep. To top it off, it was the night before Halloween and the DI comes up behind me so I snap to attention and he grabs my shoulder and proceeds to whisper in my ear, "I fvcking hate everyone one of you. I am Wican and this is my holiday to praise my demon spirit. I should be out with my family at the slaughter but instead, I'm here and I'm going to make your life a living hell."

I have never been so scared in my life! This is the same DI who I saw later in bootcamp threaten to kill a recruit with his NCO sword because he moved during initial drill.

He turned out to be my favorite drill instructor and I actually ran into him in the fleet. Turned out he was just feeding us B.S. about his religious preferences but we had a good laugh about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    And the Drill Instructor's reply is "Whats good about it", then you visit the pit.
    Reminds me of Sam Elliot in We Were Soldiers.

"Good Morning Sgt Major!

"How do you know what kind of God Damn morning it is?"

Later in the movie...

"It's a beautiful day Sgt Major!"

"What are you, a fvcking weather man?"

Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    Try pulling the first fire watch after being picked up. That was a lot of fun. Standing front post on the quarterdeck with our kill hat running around shaking recruits racks and screaming while everyone is trying to sleep. To top it off, it was the night before Halloween and the DI comes up behind me so I snap to attention and he grabs my shoulder and proceeds to whisper in my ear, "I fvcking hate everyone one of you. I am Wican and this is my holiday to praise my demon spirit. I should be out with my family at the slaughter but instead, I'm here and I'm going to make your life a living hell."

I have never been so scared in my life! This is the same DI who I saw later in bootcamp threaten to kill a recruit with his NCO sword because he moved during initial drill.

He turned out to be my favorite drill instructor and I actually ran into him in the fleet. Turned out he was just feeding us B.S. about his religious preferences but we had a good laugh about it.

I know how you feel. My last name starts with an A so I was the first for everything. First to fall in line, first for firewatch, etc. It always sucked not knowing what you had to do or what you had to say.

I remember getting my haircut. I wear portholes and I was the first one up with port holes. I did not take my portholes off so the guy ended up giving me a mohawk and leaving hair around my ears. Yea, that didnt fly to well with the Drill Instructors.

If you're voice isn't hoarse by the end of the week or so, you're wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    Try pulling the first fire watch after being picked up. .
    AHHHH.....You were that guy huh????

I remember it going like this.......

Recruit: "Sir, Recruit Spe"
    DI: "WHAT"
    they never let you get it all out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UsmcMotorT View Post
    I know how you feel. My last name starts with an A so I was the first for everything. First to fall in line, first for firewatch, etc. It always sucked not knowing what you had to do or what you had to say.

I remember getting my haircut. I wear portholes and I was the first one up with port holes. I did not take my portholes off so the guy ended up giving me a mohawk and leaving hair around my ears. Yea, that didnt fly to well with the Drill Instructors.

If you're voice isn't hoarse by the end of the week or so, you're wrong!
    Hell, it should be hoarse by the end of Black Friday. If it's not, you're ****ing over everyone else. Don't think that since everyone else is sounding off, you can just mouth it and get away with it, because you're just being a buddy ****er.

And remember, don't be the one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hologram View Post
    And remember, don't be the one.
    Because there's always one. There's always one.

Thread Information