Signing to DEP.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signing to DEP.

Signing to DEP.

I have a quick question about signing into the DEP. I have gone to MEPS and passed my physical but wasnt able to sign that day because i have to take some more paper work up to them to clear me. I heard that to sign into the DEP you have to be able to do 2 pull ups and 44 sit ups in 2 minutes. I am only able to do 1 pull up and about 30 sit ups will i still be able to sign the contract if i cant meet those standards at this time?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    No More cupcakes and ho-hos for you. I believe you can sign into the DEP, but you don't want to go to bootcamp until you can pass that IST. Or at least that is what I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistolwhip8809 View Post
    I have a quick question about signing into the DEP. I have gone to MEPS and passed my physical but wasnt able to sign that day because i have to take some more paper work up to them to clear me. I heard that to sign into the DEP you have to be able to do 2 pull ups and 44 sit ups in 2 minutes. I am only able to do 1 pull up and about 30 sit ups will i still be able to sign the contract if i cant meet those standards at this time?
    It all depends but I think that you have to pass at least 2 aspects of the IST. I say this because I have a friend that DEP'd in and couldn't do any pullups, but could do the crunches and the run.

At MEPS it was my recruiter that made us do pullups only to see where we were. It is not gonna stop you from swearing in or anything, but i do agree with bstewar09 about being able to pass the IST.

Start working out 5-6 days a week and run in the morning. Don't eat fast food and don't drink any sodas or energy drinks. Prepare yourself now and you'll reap the benefits later. Trust me doing this and eliminating those things help greatly.

As for your question, you need to be able to fulfill those requirements before you are shipped off to boot camp. So if you aren't able to fulfill those requirements when you swear in that's okay. But if you aren't able to pass an IST or get the minimum scores before boot camp they usually won't ship to recruit training, or at least from what I've heard.

thanks for all the responses my recruiter has been working me out a lot and i have gone to a couple of poolee functions. Today I bought a Pull up bar and I am going to take some advice from the Warriors on this site (doing a max set of pull ups every time i walk through the door). Anyone got any idea what progress i can make if i set my ship date to august?

A lot. I was doing 12 pull ups and 115 crunches about 3 months ago. By working out 6 days a week (lifting, running, pull-ups, pretty much everything) I went to 20 pull ups and 142 crunches in 3 months times. I also dropped my run time in the mile and a half by 30 seconds. You can definitely get a lot of improvement between now and august.

When do you do the IST? At MEPS? Or do you just do the physical at MEPs? I searched but couldn't find a thread on "the meps process" or anything.

I found this little ditty: http://www.mepcom.army.mil/video.html which explains the process thoroughly via a video. I particularly liked this rule:

YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO PASS THE IST TO START BOOT CAMP!!! If you cant complete the IST when you get to the MCRD they will put you in the donut brigade. Ive even heard that they are starting to send people home because there are so many people enlisting now.

LOL donut brigade

Good luck to you. I went to MEPS for my ASVAB one day, went to the hotel, and back to MEPS the next to conduct all my paperwork and physical. Given I was there all day, I was in and out. I saw some prospects there two days straight waiting on waivers and what not. I consider myself lucky to have been in and out and ready to move onto the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinesFTW View Post
    YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO PASS THE IST TO START BOOT CAMP!!! If you cant complete the IST when you get to the MCRD they will put you in the donut brigade. Ive even heard that they are starting to send people home because there are so many people enlisting now.
    LoL,Donut Brigade haha!!
    Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by ak74u28 View Post
    LoL,Donut Brigade haha!!
    Semper Fi.
    Don't say Semper Fi', we don't rate it.

Yes, please go read the rules of the board in the stickies. Just policing our own. Good to go.

Thread Information