Marine Bases contaminated--El Toro, CA
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marine Bases contaminated--El Toro, CA

El Toro, California Marine Base contaminated with TCE and PCE solvents

lot of information on sites below:

A trichloroethylene (TCE) toxic plume was discovered in 1985 off of Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) El Toro, California. El Toro was placed on the EPA Superfund list in 1990, closed in July 1999, and most of the land sold at a public auction in 2005. MWSG-37 (EPA Site 24) was the source of the toxic plume spreading off the base. Multiple contaminants were found on base near landfills, including radionuclides (Uranium 235, Radium 226 and Radium 228).

also includes:

Please take a few minutes to read and sign the petition at
    http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/cdr-melissa-mohon-usn.html. Please include comments relating to your service at El Toro which may be helpful to the evaluation.

also includes: A legal review and evaluation of possible injuries and deaths
    related to exposure to TCE/PCE at former MCAS El Toro is underway by a Southern California law firm. Veterans, dependents, and civilian workers with injuries possibly related to exposure to TCE/PCE at former MCAS El Toro can contact Mr. Michael E. Gates, CARROLL, KELLY, TROTTER, FRANZEN & McKENNA, 111 W. Ocean Boulevard, 14th Floor, Long Beach, California 90802-4646, Telephone: (562) 432-5855. Facsimile: (562) 432-8785. megates@....

http://www.mwsg37.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------

other very informative sites:

TCE Blog
    Trichloroethylene is everywhere. It causes cancer and other serious health problems. People deserve better protection

http://www.tceblog.com/tetrachloroethylene_a.k.a._perchloroethylene_(pce)/

Salem-News articles

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/february032009/marines_ask_navy_2-1-09.php

in a nutshell, either contaminates can cause miscarriages, birth defects and illness in children, (even sprem can carry the contaminate to wife); affects the heart, brain, skin, autoimmune (such as Lupus, MS or MS type health problems, nerve damage, blood, bone, cancer of any major organs, and so on. I hope that this is helpful and also that you may help others by passing information along to others who may have been exposed.

Thank you,
    Lynda K. Dokken USMC 1966-67

Credits
    Savings
    I was stationed @ El Toro & Tustin back in '88. Will I be growing a 3rd eye? LOL!!!

I guess if you did grow third eye, you would not have any problems getting service connected.

Credits
    Savings
    I was in MWSG-37 in 1965.

What were the specific activities or sources in MWSG-37 that were the source of these contaminents??

part of it was from solvents used in cleaning airplane, helicopter and other mechanical parts containing large amounts of PCE and TCE. Also ground water was contaminated. Another problem with bases like El Toro, was Hangar 296 right above radium paint room and also water samples. Area was reported to be contaminated with radium 226. places like which I posted on original post, contain places where one might learn more information
    Lynda

Damn lawyers are always loking for ways to supplement their income.

Helicopters were at Tustin, Not ElToro.

true but 60% of something is sure more than zero percent of nothing.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I signed the petition because I would like to know. I was on that base for 3 years (85/87/88).

Thanks for the info - I had seen this stuff somewhere here before but, I never read any of it. This is scarey. And the pics of the base - looks like a freakin' ghost town. WOW!

Does anyone remember where on base MWSG-37 was?

I spent alot of time running around the base perimeter and do have limited memories of the sites but not all the names.

I worked below the Air Traffic control tower in the radar room, probably was not exposed unless during a work party or while running arond the base.

Quote Originally Posted by sdk87to91 View Post
    Does anyone remember where on base MWSG-37 was?

I spent alot of time running around the base perimeter and do have limited memories of the sites but not all the names.

I worked below the Air Traffic control tower in the radar room, probably was not exposed unless during a work party or while running arond the base.
    I would still consider, at least signing the petition, and also look at sites I have given as to possible exposure. I have several things that could be related: two miscarriages while at base; suffered 32 from superventricular tachycardia (very rapid heart rate); and most of all slowly progressing nerve damage...there are other symptoms including cancer, and these chemicals do affect any part of the body and brain. Lynda

Last edited by skypeople; 04-22-09 at 11:12 AM. Reason: forgot something: there is also concern about radium exposure and you may have been exposed to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Damn lawyers are always loking for ways to supplement their income.

Helicopters were at Tustin, Not ElToro.

they where in 96 and 97 after tustin closed

Quote Originally Posted by jpw3 View Post
    they where in 96 and 97 after tustin closed
    How do you do it Marine 20 year of service and still an E-1? Semper Fidelis

was at El Toro in 77-81 also was at Camp Lejeune in 73 2 years ago I had a Kidney operation it was cancer so far it has not returned

actually was an E-3 before i ever hit the fleet. I havnt completed the profile just yet. Was only in for four years have a successful air condition and heating company in Shreveport La. for the past decade.

i was there from 86-89, HMS-11 and MALS-11.

Thread Information