Having issues choosing an MOS
Create Post

Having issues choosing an MOS

First off i'm going to say hello to all of you.

I recently enlisted. My ASVAB scores qualify me for any job i want. But i'm having difficulties choosing an MOS. I wont be choosing a specific one until the new fiscal year but i want an idea.

Some back ground:
    • 6 years of rugby, state champs twice
    • 1 year of highschool football
    • 4 years of competitive cycling (top ten sprinters in the state)
    • Never sitting still, always active
    • Absolutely CANNOT be a desk job, the first think i'd shoot would be myself

Hopefully you get the idea. I'm a very active person. I was looking at reconnaissance man(0321). But in all honesty i do not know the specifics more than what US************* has on their website. I do plan on talking to my recruiter about it but wanted opinions from some, hopefully intelligent, people on here.

Thank you very much guys. I leave for Recruit Training 20091207

Well what are your hobbies outside of sports? Do you like working on cars, construction, woodworking or anything like that?

Anybody joining the Marine Corps better be active and not lazy, whether you're in a desk job or not.

Just a poolee, but obviously recon guys and grunts are worked the hardest physically. If you feel like you're up to a huge challenge, shoot for recon/infantry.

I am a rugger at heart. i have always played a forward position in rugby and always been the first to hit and the first to get to a ruck or maul.

While i like working on my car and some other friends Subarus i cannot picture myself doing it for a living. I simply wouldn't enjoy it or get any pleasure from it.

Other than that my only real thing is that i have an incredible nack for remembering information that i see fit to help me in the future. Such as my General Orders and really almost anything Marine Corps related. I have always been very protective of friends and am constantly jarred about my daughters first boy friend (god help me be strong on that faithful day).

I guess what i'm trying to say is that while i dont have any really hobbies per say (other than now assitant coaching the HS rugby team when i can) i have always liked to be the first to hit and be very active and physical.

Hopefully that sorta answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by blackshirts View Post
    Anybody joining the Marine Corps better be active and not lazy, whether you're in a desk job or not.

Just a poolee, but obviously recon guys and grunts are worked the hardest physically. If you feel like you're up to a huge challenge, shoot for recon/infantry.
    My whole set of ideals going into this has been that if i do it i want to be the best at it. I can already do the minimums, but that isn't nearly enough for me. I've already made a deal with myself that i will do what it takes to be the best at what i do and anything less is unacceptable.

NJ

Go 0300, and try out for Scout Sniper, they run about 15miles a day and requires great marksmanship (obviously). Infantry sounds the best for you, since they should be the most athletic and intense. There are over 450 MOS's in the USMC currently. Some are getting phased out like 3533 in October, and a few others I am not sure of. The Marines have a football team for just about every unit out there, and the actual USMC football team, but that isn't an actual MOS, but a hobby within the Marines.

You already have the mindset for being the best at what ever comes to you, which is a good thing, now you just need to narrow your interests in a MOS field that fits you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by MLMonk View Post
    Go 0300, and try out for Scout Sniper, they run about 15miles a day and requires great marksmanship (obviously). Infantry sounds the best for you, since they should be the most athletic and intense. There are over 450 MOS's in the USMC currently. Some are getting phased out like 3533 in October, and a few others I am not sure of. The Marines have a football team for just about every unit out there, and the actual USMC football team, but that isn't an actual MOS, but a hobby within the Marines.

You already have the mindset for being the best at what ever comes to you, which is a good thing, now you just need to narrow your interests in a MOS field that fits you the best.
    Yes, i pretty much had it narrowed between Infantry and some sort of police work. But reading the Recon Man descriptions i saw a bit of everything i liked from all of them.

I know some MPs, and I don't think that is for you. Not that they are inactive, because they are still Marines so they train hard still. However, not all MPs have work that is probably suited to you. If you are a garrison MP, you will probably be fairly bored most of the time. Don't get me wrong, there are some cool things about MPs (especially if you are a field MP).

However, for you it is really a no-brainer. Infantry is the most active (in terms of physicality) MOS in the Marine Corps, and the most physically demanding MOS we have. Yes, if you become a Marine you can try for things like recon, MARSOC, or scout sniper, but honestly it sounds like as a primary MOS you will be happiest as an 03.

Any grunt on here will tell you how difficult it is phyiscally for them. But I'm willing to be most of them love it in the end.

Thread Information