Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General Orders

12th General Order

Anyone know there "12th General Order"

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    To walk my post from flank to flank and take no **** from any rank...

ok thanks everyone

The 12th General Order is my favorite. My kill hat asked my platoon in boot if anyone knew it. One recruit did. He sounded it the f*ck off, and got ITed just because my kill hat was in a good mood after hearing a recruit know the 12th G.O.

Credits
    Savings
    Let me ask a question on this topic...I've got my general orders down and I can shoot off the ranks and pay grades but I'm a little worried about remembering Commandants. Do you need to know all of them?? I have a big "History of the Corps" book that I've read but I can't remember a lot of the stuff...man its sooo much history to remember.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by JWDevilDog View Post
    The 12th General Order is my favorite. My kill hat asked my platoon in boot if anyone knew it. One recruit did. He sounded it the f*ck off, and got ITed just because my kill hat was in a good mood after hearing a recruit know the 12th G.O.
    My buddy told me the 12th order,,,I thought it was hiliarous but I didn't even want the TEMPTATION of knowing the 12th G.O during boot!!! Gomer Pyle would look like the Commandant after the D.I. got done with me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo22 View Post
    My buddy told me the 12th order,,,I thought it was hiliarous but I didn't even want the TEMPTATION of knowing the 12th G.O during boot!!! Gomer Pyle would look like the Commandant after the D.I. got done with me!!!
    It's ok, I'd probably spit it out before you got the chance. Yeah, I am that guy.

Credits
    Savings
    You can remember the first 2 words of each order as a memory aid. They are all different.
    To take, To walk, etc. That is how we did it, and how I refreshed the sentries when I was on COG duty.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MT3533 View Post
    You can remember the first 2 words of each order as a memory aid. They are all different.
    To take, To walk, etc. That is how we did it, and how I refreshed the sentries when I was on COG duty.
    wow...that is really really good advice...

I find its best to write stuff in order to memorize. I'm a pretty smart guy so I got the G.O's without writing them but in high school, we used to have to memorize alot of poems and literary pieces and i'd always have to write em down. I can still recite Robert Frost "Walking in the Woods on a Snowy Evening" and "The Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll. I know...lame...especially for a poolee bound to be a grunt lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hamelink83 View Post
    It's ok, I'd probably spit it out before you got the chance. Yeah, I am that guy.
    Haha, Hamelink Im looking forward to going to boot camp with you bro. I was just thinking the same thing.

I find its best to write stuff in order to memorize. I'm a pretty smart guy so I got the G.O's without writing them but in high school, we used to have to memorize alot of poems and literary pieces and i'd always have to write em down. I can still recite Robert Frost "Walking in the Woods on a Snowy Evening" and "The Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll. I know...lame...especially for a poolee bound to be a grunt lol
    It's alright man, I read philosophy. One of my favorite books is Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics

Credits
    Savings
    You will not have to know all the Commandants in Boot Camp.
    It will certainly behove you to know most of these people:

The President of the U.S. - CinC
    Vice President of the U.S.
    The current Commandant
    The current Assistant Commandant
    The current Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps

You should be familiar with a few of the most historically famous Marines and why they are significant: Samuel Nicholas, Presley O'Bannon, Dan Daley, Smedley Butler, CHESTY, A.A. Cunningham, Carlos Hathcock, Chad Smith

Finally, when you get to Boot Camp, and you are standing Firewatch wondering how in the H-E double L you got yourself into this mess, you will see pictures on the wall of your immediate Chain of Command for your Recruit Training Battallion. You should DEFINITELY remember those names, faces, and who they are to you. Some of these will include your Company / Series Commander, Company Gunny, etc. THIS rule of thumb you should take with you throughout your USMC career. You should always recognize the names/faces of your immediate command as soon as possible.

You will never forget your DI's, however you better learn who they are immediately, cause the first time THEY meet YOU, you will probably mess it up...and for that you will always pay.

Good luck!
    C

Credits
    Savings

Once you start getting it down pat, make sure you really know them by taking them out of numerical order...frequently you will be asked to recite only (i.e.) your 10th General Order.
    C

what else should i try to learn before i go to bootcamp?

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
    ...you should be familiar with a few of the most historically famous Marines and why they are significant: Samuel Nicholas, Presley O'Bannon, Dan Daley, Smedley Butler, CHESTY, A.A. Cunningham, Carlos Hathcock, Chad Smith...
    Does anybody remember how the Chad Smith ditty went at Boot Camp?

Semper Fi.

Thread Information