Dieting question...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dieting question...

hello all..

Im Ray Nuņez I am approx 80lbs overweight... I am still in good enough shape to run and exercise..

I went to the grocery store and looked like a guy at the strip club with one dollar...

I had no idea what kind of foods to buy

I am trying to have 1800 calories per day

What are some good foods to eat to have 1800 per day

Any suggestions are welcome

THANKS

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Fiber for breakfast is a good choice (makes you feel full, and your body doesn't take too long to process it).

No sodas or candies anymore. Only water, you should be drinking half of your body weight in ounces, example: 180lb person drinks 90oz.

Veggies and fruits; careful not to over do it on fruits though, they have a lot of sugar.

Little red meat, takes your body too long to process.

Just pay attention to the labels on the side of the foods, too.

These are a few pointers my recruiter gave to me. Hope it helps.

Try and stay in the produce and meat sections only. Think wholefresh foods with whole grain breads.

But, like sj said, lots of fiber and lots of protien. Stay away from gimmicky prepared and processed foods.

And keep a diary of what you intake. Also, eat often, that helps boost your metabolism and keeps you from overeating during a single sitting. Try to use smaller plates and fill them up, it's a psychological thing. Always eat a good healthy breakfast. I would make that your largest meal (eggs) because it stays with you longest and you'll eat less through the course of the day.

For some ideas on a good menu...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-eating/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Alisium View Post
    Try and stay in the produce and meat sections only. Think wholefresh foods with whole grain breads.

But, like sj said, lots of fiber and lots of protien. Stay away from gimmicky prepared and processed foods.

And keep a diary of what you intake. Also, eat often, that helps boost your metabolism and keeps you from overeating during a single sitting. Try to use smaller plates and fill them up, it's a psychological thing. Always eat a good healthy breakfast. I would make that your largest meal (eggs) because it stays with you longest and you'll eat less through the course of the day.

For some ideas on a good menu...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-eating/index.html
    Yes, more protein and less carbs. Start buying canned tunas, and learn to love them. They are low calories and carbs and high protein. Start eating them. Christian Bale lost over 60 pounds for his role in The Machinist by eating one can of tuna and an apple per day. Of course you don't need to go that extreme, but with an 1800 calorie diet consisting of eggs and tuna, and plenty of cardio, I wouldn't be surprised if you dropped 20 within the next few months.

Also start buying Whey protein from walmart, they're cheap, and full of nutrients and protein needed to lose the weight. Good luck.

You can easily drop 20 per month.

I forgot to add... lots of water, no soda!

Quote Originally Posted by Alisium View Post
    You can easily drop 20 per month.

I forgot to add... lots of water, no soda!
    Now we'll just have to see how much commitment he's got.

Oatmeal for breakfast. Quaker, Instant, (Regular flavor), Add some honey and some Grape-Nuts. This meal has a lot of Mono and Poly Unsaturated Fats, that are really good for you. Eggs are good for you too.. Remember having a good breakfast jump-starts your metabolism from the day. Don't skip this meal

Tuna Fish, add some chopped up celery and light Mayo and throw it on (as mentioned before) WHOLE GRAIN bread. I had a friend who cut 15 pounds on basically a tuna diet. not practical, nor really healthy, but tuna is good for you.

Cook lean meats, chicken, steak, make it with some potatoes and some broccoli.

Eat LOTS of veggies. Always have fruit salad or some celery, carrots or any other munchable (yes its a made up word)veggies handy. When you get hungry, grab that instead of Carbs.

Eat smaller portions more often. Instead of 3 meals, eat 5 or 6 smaller portions. The fitness/health section at Menshealth.com has a lot of different techniques to lose weight. It's one of my number one resources for healthy meals/unconventional exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    Now we'll just have to see how much commitment he's got.
    lets just say this...

IM NOT STOPPING TILL I DIE OR BECOME A MARINE

Quote Originally Posted by RayTrain44 View Post
    lets just say this...

IM NOT STOPPING TILL I DIE OR BECOME A MARINE
    That's good to hear. Don't die though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    That's good to hear. Don't die though.
    Good advice poolee!

1800 calories a day at 80 pounds overweight, plus PT = you most likely losing a ton of water weight and then plateauing.

Find a calculator online for your caloric needs and then drop 100-500 calories a day. You probably need more than 2500 calories a day just to maintain your weight. If you don't eat enough you'll lose water weight, go into starvation mode, keep all your fat, eat your muscle and possibly start gaining water weight. If you drop up to 500 calories a day you'll be on target to lose a pound a week of body mass (not water weight).

Calorie counting sucks. Eat filling foods like what the guys above outlined. Veggies out the ass, raw if you can, grilled or baked if not. Fruits are good, graze on fruits and veggies all day but eat twice as many veggies as fruits.

Rice, whole wheat or rye bread, and lots of water will fill you up. It takes approximately 12 seconds for the signal to get to your brain that you've actually eaten something (not that you're full).

If it's not processed, carbonated or covered in gravy or sauce, it's safer to eat. There's no dishonor in trying the alternatives... like ground turkey burgers or vegetarian hot dogs or other trash like that. Just don't eat more of them cause they're better.

Since you're 80 pounds over, start by walking. If you can find a pool (read: FIND A POOL) then do so and start swimming. Weigh yourself with a good scale (digital) that lets you track how many pounds (or tenths of a pound) you lose day to day. Weigh yourself the same time everyday you decide to weigh yourself and continue pushing.

When you get your weight down try NoRemorse SOS, OOHRAH.

Everyone is giving you great advice, sticking to these plans you should be underweight 3 months.. You can easily drop a pound a day.. When i was a bigger dude last year i decided to join and thought i should start losing weight i went and lost 10 pounds my first week, all i did was cut out all the crap i was eatting and started to run some more, it wasn't hard at all realy to me loosing weight becomes EXTREMELY easy once you get into it.

Eating only 1800 calories? Do you excercise regularly?

If you want to drop weight eat healthy, as many said fiber, fruit veggies etc. No chips, soda, box food, fast food. Learn to love fruits veggies etc. Meat all depends on what type of animal, what part it is from, what the animal ate when it was alive etc.

Eat many small meals, and snacks. That way you don't eat alot in one sitting. Right now personally I eat 3 snacks a day, 1 during the day, 1 after school and the last one about 1900. My meals are breakfast lunch and dinner. I eat one plate/maybe 2 depending on the meal. But if you excercise every day with a better diet (calories/carbs are really fickle) you'll drop weight.

Also what do you normally eat now? For each meal, habits etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    When you get your weight down try NoRemorse SOS, OOHRAH.
    We may have to get a couple of Marines together and open up a restaurant.

Semper Fi.

Thread Information