Question about prices at the PX at MCRD - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    That $300 card that was "issued" to us that Cpl BR34 mentioned? Yeah that came out of one of our paychecks. I believe the first paycheck. The only reason we get that card is because we don't have a bank with the USMC for the first couple visits, so therefore no bank card to use. So they give us an "eZPay" card, or whatever it was... But yes, that $300 came out of our paycheck.

I was a contracted PFC and ended up coming home with around $2300. I knew several Marines in my platoon that came home with close to $500 though because they weren't the smartest spenders at the PX. I hardly ever bought anything for myself at the PX, mostly just cleaning supplies and towels that we all turned into the whiskey locker for the platoon. On our last PX call (either right before the Crucible or right after), there were lots of guys who bought anodized buttons for their blues, extra chevrons, etc. A lot of them dropped over $500 that PX call...I just waited for my parents to come out to the Depot and they paid for all that stuff for me. My advice is to only buy things you absolutely need...afterall, you didn't join the Corps for the money so there's no reason to spend like you're making big bucks

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie0417 View Post
    I was a contracted PFC and ended up coming home with around $2300. I knew several Marines in my platoon that came home with close to $500 though because they weren't the smartest spenders at the PX. I hardly ever bought anything for myself at the PX, mostly just cleaning supplies and towels that we all turned into the whiskey locker for the platoon. On our last PX call (either right before the Crucible or right after), there were lots of guys who bought anodized buttons for their blues, extra chevrons, etc. A lot of them dropped over $500 that PX call...I just waited for my parents to come out to the Depot and they paid for all that stuff for me. My advice is to only buy things you absolutely need...afterall, you didn't join the Corps for the money so there's no reason to spend like you're making big bucks

good point. I did not buy my blues at that time either. our DIs told us not to b/c they were supposedly crappy quality. maybe they just wanted to help us save money?

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo22 View Post
    How much do you typically spend at boot on toiletries, etc? I've heard anywhere from 300-500 during the duration, but others say you'll spend $300 a month!!

My buddy said $400 in 3 months, but that was back when they still had what he called "monopoly money".

Also, if you get contracted as a PFC, you get paid as an E-2 throughout boot? Or do you get E-1 pay at boot and E-2 pay in the fleet? (yes, i'm sorry, i'm sure this question has been answered, but the first, i couldn't find anywhere)
    When I went in I was paid 135 bucks a month, they save more in boot camp now than we made in a year.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    When I went in I was paid 135 bucks a month, they save more in boot camp now than we made in a year.
    Well, from what I've read, Blues are standard issue now but we pay for em still.

Thats a good idea to wait till my folks come up to buy all the trinkets and memorabilia!

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    I can only speak for myself, because I know how to budget my money. I went to boot camp kinda old (25 the day after graduation). I didn't splurge on all the silly stuff at the RPX. I spent appx. 100 bucks per visit, and I think we had 4 visits. They issued us a 300 dollar card at the beginning of training.

I went in boot camp as a married contract PFC. I left the island with somewhere in the neighborhood of 4600.00 dollars..because again, I didn't splurge. There's no need for 4 Marine Corps rings, or 8 MCRD books, or 5 DVDs, or 15 plt photos, etc.

You will be paid as a PFC <4 months service throughout boot camp.

I also see no reason a poolee SHOULDN'T be concerned with his/her finances. A poolee who doesn't care about pay will be a Marine that can't afford to pay their Toyota Echo bill.
    The larger question there is why is a Marine driving a Toyota Echo? LOL.

Well, from what I've read, Blues are standard issue now but we pay for em still.

Thats a good idea to wait till my folks come up to buy all the trinkets and memorabilia!
    You will pay for everything.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post

HAHAHAHA, Ain't that the truth!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    You make me want to puke!

Need a bucket?

Credits
    Savings
    You will spend your money on irons, starch, polish and whatever else the DI tells you to buy. We had a debit card that we took on trips to the "PX" that only sold that stuff.

I can't remember how much I had left after graduation, but it sure wasn't much. We were getting about $800 a month before the taxes came out of the pay.

I left the island with about $2000 as a single E-1.
    I didn't spend much. Maybe $50 every PX trip, the drill instructors had each squad buy certain items the first couple visits. Visits after that people who were desperate for something were allowed to go in but also had to purchase the squad bay's needs.
    You will also have to spend money on your travel from home to MCT, your uniforms as well as uniform items... you'll probably want to buy some graduation stuff also just don't go crazy.

Dont buy personal trash at the PX unless its for hygiene.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks PFC for the information...i was originally going 5811 but changed to 0300 to get out quicker

Thanks PFC for the information...i was originally going 5811 but changed to 0300 to get out quicker
    Remember that when you're at ITB lol...

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Achped View Post
    Remember that when you're at ITB lol...
    Oh its ok, my choices came down to infantry or MP. I wanted the skills of an infantryman though as I want to do some sort of tact work when I get out.

I'm in pretty damn good shape...I think i'll be ok.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Some people say there is no such thing as a stupid question- those people should be taken out back and shot.

Just shoot em' as you go in the front door.....that way you can clear it out and see whom you are fighting to the back.....much easier!

Either that or surround the hooch and pick them off as you drive them out the back....saves ammo!

Thread Information