Can I ever become a Marine ??
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Can I ever become a Marine ??

Hello.

My name is Jimmy, I am new here and registered about 1 hour ago. I am 17 years old and lives in Sweden.
    Since I was 14 years old I have wanted to become a Marine.
    But there are one thing I wonder about, and I wonder if you could help me clear the thing out?

I spoke to a friend, he told me that the US Marine Corps donīt like people from other country trying to join The Marine Corps, is this true ?

I wish you all a great day.
    I hope that I someday can stand up tall and proud and be recognized as one of you.

Respectfully
    Jimmy Malm

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    Do some browsing in this site.....

"Search for..." box in upper right hand of screen.
    Read thru the "Marine Mentor" and "Poolee-Hall" forums.

Credits
    Savings
    Okey thanks, sorry for posting wrong.

Jimmy

Jimmy if its in your Heart no one can stop you remember that

Credits
    Savings
    It really is in my heart, I would to anything to get the chance....

Thank you

Jimmy

Jimmy I have a close friend from Toronto, Canada and he went through the Marine Corp in 1955. He is now a citizen of the United States.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Jimmy,

You will not be eligible for service unless you become a U.S. citizen or possess the proper immigration documents. The form is a permanent resident alien card or a naturalization certificate. You cannot join on a work or student visa. The obvious reason for this rule has to do with security matters and others.

SIXGUNS

Jimmy,
    I served with a number of Marines in Vietnam 67/68 that were Canadian, one we nick named Canadian. Also one guy who had come from Brittin, he was in the British Marines before joining the US Marines. Check out these two web sites, I am web master of each and severd with these Marine units, also while in Bravo, look for Wayne Bachinskys story, he came from Canada and served with us. Check out www.bravoartillery.org and then check out www.echo23marines6569.org

We also had an Austrailian Captain for a C/O at one time in Nam, you can read about him in Echo's web site.

Sierra Foxtrot,
    Paul Marquis

Registered User Free Member JChristin's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Jimmy,

You may want to visit the followin site:

http://www.usis.usemb.se/

This is the United States of American Embassy in Sweden. Here you can search for information how you can obtain a permanent resident alien card. Don't be shy about sending emails to officals at the embassy.

If you are serious, you can do anything you seek to do. It's all a matter of being willing to experience enough rejection along the way and remain standing until you arrive where you want to be. You may have to do a lot of footwork to get there - but then again, if you want to be the best - you gotta be the best.

Good luck.

Semper Fi,
    jchristin

We also had a Canadian with us in Nam

actually he was from Finland.

He was not a US citizen at that time, but imes have changed.

He was a 17 year old Finland merchant Marine that stopped in Long Beach, Ca. Somehow he got seperated from the others and woke up in LA.

Since he didn't know much English, he saw the sign Marines walked in. He though it was a mercant marine station. A sharp recruiter saw his chance, and signed him up.

Of course Marines had to teach him how to speak English... LOL

He was not a US citizen at that time, but today he is.

http://www.quartermasterdesign.com/pointman/index.html

Doesn't serving in the us military help with your naturalization? or am I tottaly off base on this? because I think I read something about Marines that had come from mexico and joining the corps helped with their citizenship. Or maybe I'm wrong.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    The number of Canadians that went to America to serve outnumber the hippie draft dodgers fled to Canada. I got my resident alien card as a teenager, then took some leave to get naturalized while stationed in MCAS El Toro.

I know I made the right choice. Being Marine is second to none. Besides, a typical Hell's Angels club house is better armed than a Canadian platoon.

Thumbs up post 211

Yellowwing Member,
    You might want to read Wayne Bachsinski's story, tile: "We gave them our worst and they gave their best". Wayne comes from Wininpeg Canada and Joined the Marines in 1965, we served in Vietnam together in 67/68. Go to www.bravoartillery.org and look in the Headquarters section under table of contents for his quick story.

Semper Fi,
    Paul Marquis

Question post 3

Omega,
    I am sure it must help for naturalization.

S/F
    Paul Marquis

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Talking

I server with foreign nationals and put them in the USMC as a recruiter. Follow Six Guns advise and get your paperwork started. Since Sweden is a nutral country the rules may be different for you Jimmy.

Semper Fidelis,

GySgtRet

Thread Information