DOnt really care but..
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

DOnt really care but..

Have you guys met alot of asians During your active duty as a Marine or just bootcamp?
    I dont really care about the Mans nationality because Im American with korean backround(and Also the Marine Corp is a brotherhood..were all the same)

Because Korean buddies that are currently doing there active duty said in bootcamp they were messed wit by D.I alot.

There was a guy from Vietnam in my platoon in boot camp and a guy that was born in America with parents from Vietnam in my section. It isn't really an issue. Everyone gets messed with in boot camp, and in the Marines in general. If it wasn't that, it would have been something else.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Because Korean buddies that are currently doing there active duty said in bootcamp they were messed wit by D.I alot.
    LMAO! Only because EVERYBODY gets messed with by our Drill Instructors.

EVERYBODY!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    and Also he said You got more to proove

We had alot of Asians in our platoon. None got messed with more or less.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Everyone does gets messed with and thats a fact. All Marines are green and they all bleed red. Every Marine has to prove their maximum potential in recruit training, no one more than another.

Last edited by jinelson; 08-28-06 at 08:13 PM.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    We ALL got messed with that's for sure - DIs only see green - they don't see what shape your eyes are or what color your skin is.

yeah we had a few asian guys in my platoon and none really got messed with more than anyone else. one of the DIs from another platoon in my series called one of the guys Bruce Lee and made him do MCMAP stuff.

If you don't get messed with in boot camp then something is terribly wrong. The Drill Instructors will find a reason to mess with you. If it isn't your looks, it will be where you are from, or your speech patterns, or your height (tall, short, whatever). I went through in 1968 and I saw no racial incidents at all in boot camp. Our drill instructors saw maggots and pukes and nothing else. Some made fun of people because of thier race, or accent, kind of like the "Bruce Lee" incident mentioned above, but if the person was squared away he got the average a$$ chewings and PT, if he was a sh*tbird he got a lot more "individual" attention no matter what his color or background.

Drill Instructors are there to prepare you for a career in the Marine Corps, not to harass anyone, or any race. If they ever got caught making overtly racial comments they would be sacked literally overnight. I am sure there are some stories on here somewhere about DI's just disappearing and a new DI is there to take over the next day...

Had plenty of them in the time I served. Never had a problem with a Marine because of his race, religion or gender. Never. Boot camp being what it is you can bet the DI's are there to stress you out and they pick on anything to push you. Being asian, flatfooted, moles, red hair, it don't matter to them and it shouldn't to you either.

I never got messed with cause i was and still AM ONE BAD MAN ....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I don't know how many times I got ragged on because of my accent - my name is Kim and I used to say it in 2 syllables - Ki im. You should be standing in the DI Hut doorway asking permission to iron on your free time and she asks if you've ever heard of Gomer Pyle and all you can hear behind you is 70 some odd women but the hell up laughing. And I couldn't even crack a grin - I wanted to bust up laughing but all I could say was "yes ma'am" and wait for her to tell me yes or no.

I think that a lot of times when someone writes a post such as this it is because they are nervous. What they want to hear is that there are others like themselves going where they are going. It is a comfort zone thing. The truth here is that once you are a recruit you will be with many like yourself. All recruits. It just won't matter what color your skin is or your religion or ancestry. You're a recruit. Your background will always be there of course. It is what makes you who you are. Boot camp will also become a part of your background. It gets even better when you graduate. Then you will have a larger comfort zone. You will be a Marine among Marines.

Thread Information