Ohio congressman takes Laurean extradition to State Department
Comments 3 | Recommend 5
March 16, 2009 - 12:56 PM
LINDELL KAY

An Ohio Congressman who has been vocal about seeking justice for a slain Camp Lejeune Marine from his district is now asking the new Secretary of State to expedite the extradition from Mexico of the accused killer.

Representative Mike Turner wants Marine Cpl. Cesar Laurean brought back to the United States as quickly as possible. Laurean fled to Mexico just before being indicted for first degree murder in the 2007 bludgeoning death of Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach. She was in her third trimester of pregnancy and had accused Laurean of rape.

"Cesar Laurean is charged with the heinous crimes of rape and murder and it is imperative that he be brought to justice," Turner said in a press release Monday. "I hope that Secretary (Hillary) Clinton will be able to help the Lauterbach family in their efforts to bring closure to this process and peace to Maria and her unborn child."

Turner has been working with the Lauterbach family to reform the sexual assault reporting process in the military.

Laurean's attorney, Jacksonville lawyer Dick McNeil, said he was "disturbed" by the congressman's move, calling it "counter-productive and totally political."

Laurean was arrested in Mexico in April 2008 and appealed a court ordered return to the U.S. by Mexican authorities in September.

Because Laurean was born in Mexico and is eligible to claim dual American and Mexican citizenship, it is critical that proper diplomatic efforts be made, Turner said.

"Our nation owes Maria, her unborn child, and the Lauterbach family every possible effort to bring Cesar Laurean to justice," he said. "I am hopeful that Secretary Clinton and the State Department can help to finally resolve this sad case."

State prosecutors have already said they will not seek the death penalty for Laurean because Mexico frowns on capital punishment.

McNeil said that while he is not certain, life without parole is also more than likely viewed as cruel and unusual punishment by Mexico and may present a stumbling block to Mexican courts in turning his client over to American justice.

That would present a real problem since North Carolina law allows only two punishments for first degree murder: death and life in prison.

"I can't waive life without parole," said Dewey Hudson, district attorney for the 4th Prosecutorial District, which includes Onslow County.

Hudson said the state cannot budge on that issue since it is the statutorily mandated punishment.

"The best news I've heard is that the Justice Department doesn't seem to think life without parole will be a problem for Mexican authorities," he said.

Ellie