Bicycling or Running? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by GSEMarine94 View Post
    Are they still using those ugly azz orange Nikes?
    Nope they were camo shoes when I went through.
    I don't recall who made them.

Lowest bidder.

Marine Family Free Member SmithAdrian's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The word I was told as of recently they give new balance shoes now.

I personally run in some underarmor running shoes with running insoles in them.

I went from running a 15:11 in my jordans to a 13:38 in the underarmors.

I'm down to an 11:56 now, but the insoles and the running shoes helped a lot.

Bicycling can help with your run time, but you should definately be working on running. You will not be riding a bike in boot camp, you will be running.

Thank you all for your great and helpful advice, I appreciate it. I'm gonna go check out Foot Locker and also ask my SSgt where he also shops for running sneakers that could be near by. The City area charges 20 dollars more for everything, so i'm trying to avoid that, perhaps EBAY (but that's tricky).

Thank you all again.

Marine Family Free Member SmithAdrian's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Don't buy running shoes from ebay.

lol copy that Smith, I was thinking the same.

Experience from the past, but there are honest sellers, believe it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by New York View Post
    Thank you all for your great and helpful advice, I appreciate it. I'm gonna go check out Foot Locker and also ask my SSgt where he also shops for running sneakers that could be near by. The City area charges 20 dollars more for everything, so i'm trying to avoid that, perhaps EBAY (but that's tricky).

Thank you all again.
    Wear before you buy.
    No eBay. You get used or knockoffs.

Copy that CPL. Pete, near by Foot Locker was trying to insist that the Jordans where better, go figure. Going to visit another one where I'm not suckered into being scammed, or so I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by New York View Post
    Copy that CPL. Pete, near by Foot Locker was trying to insist that the Jordans where better, go figure. Going to visit another one where I'm not suckered into being scammed, or so I thought.
    Hell, if you're worried about getting scammed go around trying on what you like, find the right size, then shop around online.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Cycling is a great way to get your cardio up, while it is a low impact exercise. If i were you i would do both. Switch it up, run one day, and then the other go for a ride.

Dont just prepair for bootcamp because beleave it or not it gets allot harder after bootcamp at least its that way for me. Get used to running like 5-7 miles and stopping every so often to do sprints. Find a buddy and firemans carry him around, you do alot of that also.

Quote Originally Posted by Psurichie View Post
    Dont just prepair for bootcamp because beleave it or not it gets allot harder after bootcamp at least its that way for me. Get used to running like 5-7 miles and stopping every so often to do sprints. Find a buddy and firemans carry him around, you do alot of that also.
    You need to learn how to spell! Prepair? Beleave? Allot? See about reading through the Spelling for Marines MCI, it will help you when you start writing fitreps.

Semper Fidelis

Running should definitely be your focus, but it never hurts to switch it up once in a while. Bike for long distances for some good cardio, and believe it or not swimming is a great work out as well. My fiance swam in high school and talked me into it one day at the pool. I thought it would be all easy because I run 5-6 miles 3 times a week. I could barely make it 100m (two lengths)! It's a whole different thing. I couldn't get used to not being able to breathe freely. Plus, it may help with swim qual?

Another fun thing you could do is some sprint or olympic distance triathlons. Get the fun of swimming, biking and running all in one! Plus the run is last and it can really test your mettle. Good stuff!

I've been swimming competitively for the past 4years, had to swim 7k-8k yard practices daily and I could swim every high school event with ease (mostly 50yd free & 100yd free/fly though) and I cant say that swimming helped me on the run portion of my IST. Swimming is an upper body workout, at least for me I suppose, it helped me with my pull-ups and crunches, but not the 1.5mile run.

I'm not saying that swimming can't help you on the run portion, but I know it didn't help me. Of course like any workout, results vary, what works for some may not work for another, etc.

I know this article is about bicycling vs. running, but let me say that SWIMMING is a very good cardio workout. I get tired faster swimming than running and it helps expand your lungs so that when you do run, it wont fatigue you as quick.

And to the OP: I would personally advise running more, but like Pete0331 said, its a good way to change up your PT style. If you run everyday not only does it get boring, but it makes it easier to plateau. If you bike hard once or twice a week your cardio will stay constant.

Good luck.

Thread Information