'lazy' Recruiters and augmenting to Active Duty
Create Post
    Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

'lazy' Recruiters and augmenting to Active Duty

Hello Everyone,

I've done many searches on Leatherneck and haven't found anything that answers my questions, so here goes:

I currently have a ship date as a Reservist, but I have decided that I want to go Active Duty instead. I've spoken to the GySgt in the recruiting office many times and he told me that there are NO open AD slots for women. He is encouraging me to "simply" go as scheduled and then augment to Active Duty once I get to my unit. That sets off an alarm in my head because a SSgt in the same office told me to dream on if I was thinking about augmenting because it hardly ever happens. Additionally, the Gunny has said things like that before, too, that it is hard to augment.

I certainly do not feel comfortable taking the gamble of my future unit saying that I cannot augment. I need to
    secure an Active Duty slot before I go to Parris Island. The problem is that my recruiter is telling me all these things, but I know different because:

Yesterday I spoke with my old Recruiter (he is now the SNCOIC at another Station) and he looked in the system and told me, "There are three slots open right now. If you were in my pool, I could get you to go. GySgt is being lazy because there is work involved in changing your status."

Armed with this new information, I want to go back to the Station and insist upon a status change. My quandary is that I do not want to come across as disrespectful, but I do need to get what I am after. Maybe the Gunny would be comfortable with the uncertainty of trying to augment, but if I got to my unit and they said no, I would be one unhappy Marine with eight years of a Reserve contract remaining.

My question is: what do I do? I go into the office all the time, each time staying for at least 30 minutes talking about AD possibilities, each time, the Gunny tells me the same thing. Now that I know different, I am frustrated that I am still being told that there are no spots. I know that he is not saying this because he doesn't think I will make it or thinks I am lazy.

I will continue to be persistent, but if he continues to tell me that there is no way, the SSgt at the other office told me to call him back and that he would give me a couple numbers to call, presumably to go over the Gunny's head; that is a scary prospect for me.

Any words of wisdom?

Jenmurray,

My quandary is that I do not want to come across as disrespectful, but I do need to get what I am after.

Sounds like this Gunny might be a roadie (retired on active duty), but I can understand your predictament. There is a good first lesson here on respectfuly getting what you want and satisfying the needs of the Marine Corps.

In my humble opinion, you might somehow let the Gunny know that you know there are open slots (ie. a friend of a friend of a friend talked to her recruiter and she mentioned there are 3 open slots).

On the other hand, your Gunny might have been correct at the time he checked, and those 3 open slots just opened up (you know, puters). I would definately approach him/her again with your new info and see what happens. If he stills says no, you might also tell him that your "friend" gave you phone numbers to call. A little respectful persuasion goes a long way.

Remember to keep your bearing.

Good Luck Jen,

SF Kalbo

Credits
    Savings
    When you get to your mos school, ask your Plt. Sgt. By
    the time you get pass your schooling something might
    come up. I know there were reservist's in my company
    who were able to switch to active duty. Its a lot easier
    to go from a reservist to active than active to reservist.
    If not, being a reservist isn't that bad. I did it. Plus with
    the armed forces being so strung out, you will go to a lot
    places.

Registered User Free Member gigagrunt's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I am currently at 29 palms in school and i tell you what, you better make sure that you get what you really want right now even if it means waiting another month or so b/c there i know a few marines that wished they would have gone active but didn't and now they are really regretting it. So just be tactful with your words and don't be afraid to keep asking until it gets done.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you guys for all your advice (ahem.. you are 'guys,' right?)... I believe I am going to do watch Kalbo said and tell him I spoke with someone who said that there are three slots available. I'll keep you all posted.. I am going in tomorrow. Thanks again!

Gigagrunt- are you going through MCCES? My husband graduated from there in May. I bet it is hot as hades out there now! I will be certain to make sure everything is resolved before I hit the yellow footprints...

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Augmenting from the Reserves to Active duty is a biotch, I know several Marines in the reserves, and they are trying to go active, it just ain't happenning. I got recalled to the reserves back in 90 for the gulf war after doing a six year active duty hitch back in the 80's after the war was over I tried to augment back to active duty, so they sent my arse on a tour as a recruiter after that was over I recieved orders to return to the reserve company when I asked about my Augmement back to an active grunt battalion the answer was, not going to happen right now. You ever do somthing out of anger you wish you could take back? Being a hot head I told the 01 pencil pushers to kiss my butt give me my check out sheet and they could bake in hades!! I've regretted that ever since I woulda retired three months ago!!

Credits
    Savings
    aww, man! I bet it felt good to say it at the same.
    How did you like serving as a recruiter? That stinks that they wouldn't let you stay!

Credits
    Savings
    Right- I'm actually waiting until he gets some time to give me some advice.

My ship date isn't until November 17th, so I've got some time, luckily.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You are asking for a "component change." This is not rocket science!!! He is afraid that if you go AD, he will not be able to fill the female reserve slot you are vacating. Explain the reasons why you have decided to change and ask for his assistance in doing the component change. If there still seems to be no change in the answer, use the chain of command and explain you want to speak to someone at the headquarters who is capable of making the change.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Sixguns

I knew it could be done! I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!

Jen, you're going to go AD!

Keep us posted.

I knew SixGuns would be the Marine to answer this with certainity! I kinda figgered she was bein' screwed with, myself.

gigagrunt is one of our former POOL-ees btw! I'm proud of him!

Credits
    Savings
    Sixguns, thank you SO much for your advice and for finally putting a name to what I am trying to do! I've since spoken to my recruiter a couple more times and he's saying that the bottom line is I will not go Active Duty until a female comes into the office wanting a Reserve slot.

I am going to contact the Staff Sergeant at the other office and see what he suggests at this point, as I have definitely tried and tried again to convince my current Recruiter to help. He said he could get me the Gunnery Sergeant's Commanding Officer's phone number.

My only concern now is that I do not want to burn a bridge with the GySgt., I've known him for over a year. However, I need to stand up for myself, I just need to find a respectful way to do it.

Again, thank you so much. Also thank you Sgt Bones and Top1371 and everyone else who has offered their wise words.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Finding your replacement for the reserve slot is not necessarily your responsibility. Ask your recruiter if he has done everything possible to do the component change. If he says yes, explain you would like the number to the operations officer and commanding officer at the recruiting station headquarters to explain your situation and if they cannot correct the situation, how you will seek other recourse to void your enlistment into the Marine Corps. This should get some attention!!

SIXGUNS

Registered User Free Member gemntx's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    jenrmurray

Don't worry about the Gunny. It sounds to me that he is taking the path of least resistance. Sixguns has given you some sage advice. Bottom line is: Do what your heart tells you. The Gunny is not the end all for the Recruiting Command. If you want to go AD then stick to your guns and insist on going AD.

Good Luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Sixguns, that is what was bother me- It woul dbe nice if I found a replacement, but I am not the recruiter, and therefore it is not my responsibility.If it were, I would go to a high school and hold a one woman career fair! I will definitely do what you have outlined. Thank you!

Major Gemntx, thank you, sir!

Thread Information