Bootcamp Dity's (Parris Island)
Create Post

Bootcamp Dity's (Parris Island)

I don't think this has been posted, I even searched it, so I am going to make a list of the Dity's that I can remember from bootcamp that you really need to pay attention to, to get that 100 on the 2 written tests.

Honor:Ethical Moral Behavior

Courage: Do the right thing

Commitment: Determination, Dedication

Birthplace of the Marine Corps:Tun Tavern Philadelphia

Birth date of the Marine Corps:November 10th, 1775

4 life saving steps:Restore the breathing, stop the bleeding, protect the wound, treat for shock

Characteristics of a M-16A2 service rifle:Keyword LMGAS, Lightwieght, Magazine-fed, Gas operated, Air-cooled, Shoulder fired

Ranges of an M-16A2 Service Rifle: Max=3534M, Area Target=800M, Point Target=550M

1st Safety rule:Treat every weapon as if it was loaded
    2nd Safety rule:Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
    3rd Safety rule:Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until ready to fire
    4th Safety rule:Keep you weapon on safe until you intend to fire

Condition 1:Weapon on safe, magazine inserted, bolt forward with round in chamber, ejection port covered closed
    Condition 2 does not apply to the M-16A2 service rifle
    Condition 3:Weapon on safe, magazine inserted, bolt forward on empty chamber, ejection port cover closed
    Condition 4:Weapon on safe, magazine removed, bold forward on empty champer, ejection port covered closed

The Safety rules and Conditions...pay CLOSE attention to them on the rifle range, it is not worth being a safety violator.

Purpose of Interior Guard:Keyword PEP, Preserve order, Enforce regulations, Protect property

6 Billets of Interior Guard:Sentry, Corporal of the Guard, Sergeant of the Guard, Commander of the Guard, Officer of the Day, Commanding Officer (I think thats it, Commander of the Guard might be wrong)

Recruit Mentality:Mail, Chow and Freetime (not required)

The ranks are said "Sir/Ma'am, E/0-X of the Marine Corps is, X, he wears X stripes up/X stripes down and Crossed Rifles/Diamonds/5 Point Star/Bursting Bomb/Eagle Globe Anchor flanked by 2 5 Point Stars in the center, Sir/Ma'am"

Guardian Angel:An individual, or group of individuals, in an overwatch position, tasks with the protection of friendly posts. Or in short, just "Overwatch"

Deadly Force:The actions of an individual used against another, to cause death, substantial risk of death, or serious bodily harm

NOTE:These ditty's change from platoon, these are the dity's I said in my platoon, but the definitions are all the same.

I'll add more tomorrow, feel free to post any that's not listed here.

Last edited by MLMonk; 11-27-08 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Grammar

I'm pretty sure there is a thread somewhere about knowledge... but I'm not 100% and giving the actual ditties is a better Idea than just listing the knowledge. So this might be a good thread.

Five colors of the map:

Black- man made features
    Blue-water
    Green- Vegetation
    Brown- contour lines (it's actually reddish brown but we shortened it)
    Red- populated areas

And don't forget like MLMonk said, it can change between platoons.

sometimes the lifesaving steps have "kill the motherf***er who shot my friend" added at the end

you forgot to add tap rack bang also

Speaking of tap, rack bang, I did that on table 2..and the Coach didn't see me perform it, so I missed out of 4 shots due to weapon jam (I was only 7 points from Expert and I only got a few shots out of the circles).

A few marching dity's are..

Attention/Parade Rest:Snap
    Cover:Short choppy steps, align to the right, everybody move, except for the guide
    Forward:Stand tall lean back. March:And Step/Left right left.
    Left/Right Face:Cock, drive
    About face:Lock the knee, trace the C, ease about
    Platoon:Pause Halt:Step freeze (Anything while marching, you'll most likely say pause right before the command of execution)

The rifle manual dity's vary way too much per platoon, so I won't mention them

Last edited by MLMonk; 11-27-08 at 04:59 PM. Reason: adding more

Ours changed a lot, but here are some.

Forward: stand tall, lean back...shock troops...gangway 3rd phase
    march: and reach

Cover: cover to the front, align to the right x3, everybody move except for the guide... 3rd phase we just said Move.

To the rear: step, ease about, and left right left

obliques: small angle
    most of these were the same as every other platoon.

Rifle Manual
    order arms: shes goin down
    inspection: intensity
    present arms: microphone
    rifle salute: smooth stick
    right shoulder arms while marching: United States Marine Corps Swing 'em

New graduates please add in some dity's that weren't mentioned.

Alot of the first phase knowledge ones:

5 Types of Wounds: Keyword CALIP, C- Crush A-Abrasion L-Laceration I-Incision P-Puncture

4 Types of Burns: Keyword CELT, C-Chemical E-Electrical L-Laser T-Thermal (i think)

Grand (or Great) Old Man of the Marine Corps: Archibald Henderson he served 38 years.

Characteristics of the M16A2: Keyword LMGAS L-Lightweight M-Magazine Fed G-Gas operated A-Air Cooled S-Shoulder fired (weapon), semi automatic or 3 round burst.

A few that will be pounded into your head before rifle range:

Unload Show Clear: Remove magazine lock the bolt to the rear, weapon on safe, place on shoulder.

Load: Grab Look Push Pull Secure Magazine pouch

Make Ready: Sling Shot, Brass Check, Tap Forward Assist, Sweep the sites, Check the sites, Ejection port cover closed, Weapon on safe.

Our Honor Courage and Commitment ditties were a bit more in depth:

Honor, the ultimate in ethical and moral behavior

Commitment, the determination and dedication between members (or brothers) of arms

Courage, the mental and physical strength to carry on.

Poolee's just remember this one thing if you remember anything going to bootcamp, SCREAM THE DANG DITTIES. If you don't, you simply won't ace the knowledge, and don't be afraid to ask friggin questions.

Old thread but should help some new Poolee's who haven't had the chance to read these yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MLMonk View Post
    Old thread but should help some new Poolee's who haven't had the chance to read these yet.
    Thank you for bumping this thread, Private First Class. I'm printing everything but the individual comments as I type.

Personally, I don't like this thread. Yes, the poolees should learn knowledge before going to boot camp, but I don't think they should simply memorize the ditties just for the sake of getting 100% on the tests. I think they should learn the knowledge. There is a difference between ditties and knowledge. Ditties are for testing purposes only - just to pass and get that decent score.

Knowledge is something the individual understands and can apply. Not simply regurgitate.

Besides, teaching ditties and knowledge is one of the jobs of the drill instructors. I say let them do their job, as they do it much better than most of the rest of us.

Sure, learn some knowledge before boot camp - the 11 General Orders, the Leadership Traits and the Leadership Principles, Navy and USMC rank structure, the Marine Corps Hymn, the Rifleman's Creed.

But don't take one of the major jobs away from the Drill Instructors, and don't learn the ditties just simply for the sake of passing the tests.

Like I said, I don't like this thread at all. I had to make my opinion known, even though in doing so I only bumped the thread again...

dont worry about remembering these ditties, because i can tell you from experience DI's use different ones, and you will have to remember theirs not the ones from a different DI. if you mix it up they will eat you alive, so dont waste your time remembering these, its not worth it, they will teach you the ones they want you to know

-editing right after posting-........DO learn the knowledge though it comes in handy you will need to know it

Types of contraceptives: THIS RECRUIT JUST NEEDS A CONDOM SIR!

Thread Information