Need some help with discussing decision to girlfriend
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Need some help with discussing decision to girlfriend

Evening,
    I have been talking with the local recruiter for awhile and I have made a personal decision to enlist. However I have not filled out the contract yet for a few reasons. A few months ago I had the desire to join the Army only due to the fact that it was the first branch i really looked into. My girlfriend thought it was a phase and didnt take it too seriously. Now that I have ultimately picked the Marines as a future brotherhood she has come to the realization that it is something that I truly desire.

I am a community college freshman but technically in my sophomore year on the transcript due to credits. She is a junior in high school; dating over 2 years. She is supportive and says to do what i believe is right. Obviously she is struggling with that. Her main concern is not being able to see me. I told her that if we were meant to be together then this will be worth it. Not to be selfish but on the other hand I want to do something that will make me a better person, what if me and her do not last yahno.

So in short, what are some things that i can tell her which will make things a little easier.

Thank you for your help

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    LOL! This is what I call free entertainment on a Friday night!

ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?!? Any of these guys will be more than HAPPY to take care of her while you're gone!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    So you want coaching on kicking her to the curb?

Credits
    Savings
    I'm trying to be serious and no i dont need any tips on kicking her to the curb. I understand that it is only 3 months and i'm not worried about her cheating, if she does then whatever its not going to stop me from continuing what i want to do.

Side note: is the 10 day leave after BT taken out of the 30 day paid leave? Also, can you take days off while in schooling?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's your life. If she wants to make herself part of your life, she will follow. Otherwise, contact Achped for a copy of his little black book. I don't think he's using it at the moment.

You want to be a Marine, so you have to be emotionally prepared to put the Corps ahead of everything first and foremost. Kind of like being a priest. The church comes first, altar boys later.

I had a daddy/daughter talk just the other day with my 16-year old about a very similar topic Her boyfriend joined the Navy and is at his A-school in Pensacola (IT systems). He is trying to get Japan as a first duty station.

We discussed the possibility that he might find another girl elsewhere, either an American girl, or a foreign girl. I also pointed out that she might be the one to find someone else first. Intellectually she understands, emotionally she might feel differently should the time comes.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brandnew161 View Post
    I'm trying to be serious and no i dont need any tips on kicking her to the curb. I understand that it is only 3 months and i'm not worried about her cheating, if she does then whatever its not going to stop me from continuing what i want to do.

Side note: is the 10 day leave after BT taken out of the 30 day paid leave? Also, can you take days off while in schooling?
    Yes, your 10-days leave comes out of your annual 30-days. And Marines don't do BT, we do boot camp. Boot camp is about three-months, but you won't get another chance for leave until after your MOS school is over - if then. You do get time off during MOS schools, but your travel distance will be very restricted. In other words, if you go to an MOS school in California, there is zero chance of going home to NY to visit sweeticakes.

So decide, Marine Corps or a social life. The two do not always meet.

Credits
    Savings
    ^thanks for the serious reply, much appreciated. I believe she understands that reality and so do I. It may help if the Recruiter, her and I all talk about it.

Church first, Alter boys second..hahaha just caught that =]

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry for the mis-wording. This could probably be found elsewhere but while we are on topic; the MOS I want in Intel, is the only base for "Intel School" Dam Neck Naval Base in VA Beach?

NAME/NUMBER! I will take good care of her for you dont worry. Im taking over Achped's spot while he is over in Iraq.

Credits
    Savings
    sorry its unlisted

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sorry for the mis-wording. This could probably be found elsewhere but while we are on topic; the MOS I want in Intel, is the only base for "Intel School" Dam Neck Naval Base in VA Beach?
    IF you got that school, Horseheads, NY would probably be out-of-bounds for a 48-hour liberty. Every base or unit has different distances, but a 48-hour liberty usually maxes out between 200-250-miles. Attending a school as a brand new Marine, I'd bet on the lower limits. Plus you'll have homework to do as well and the "dog ate it" excuse is an admissible confession in office hours.

You could take the chance and go anyway, but if caught, they'll pull you from the intel field in a second and you'll be burning crappers in Iraq or the 'Stan for the rest of your enlistment - at a lower rate of pay.

Also, remember, if you get her to visit you on base, the age of consent on federal property is 18-years old. Not 17-years, 364-days. 18-years. Yes, the Marine Corps can be exactly that picky.

My advice is this: If you are so wrapped up with that little girl, don't enlist. Go flip burgers for a living in Horseheads and you can live in her parent's basement happily ever after. Other Marines and your NCOs don't need you whining and sniveling all day long about how much you miss her - until she dumps you for Jody (or Achped or JoeInVille).

WTF is this crap, FU CKIN Dr. Phil ? Give me a fu ckin break ! Reach down between your legs and grab a hold of your nuts kid and act like a fu ckin man !!! If not go see the Army Recruiter PLEASE !!!

Credits
    Savings
    I thought this was a pretty common sense question. I understand I am you and unexperienced but what if I was 25 married and wanted to join the Corps. How would you address that to your wife. "Hey hunny decided to join the Marines today see ya in a year".

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I thought this was a pretty common sense question. I understand I am you and unexperienced but what if I was 25 married and wanted to join the Corps. How would you address that to your wife. "Hey hunny decided to join the Marines today see ya in a year".

That could be one way to do it. Maybe not the best, but it is one way.

Thread Information