jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member

Talking

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Blutic View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mpellie View Post
    hahaha.....Army with liberty weekends during basic training..never happened....I will admit it was hard but my stupid 17 year old mind didnt comprehend what in the hell I was doing...it was all purely physical...seriously monkeys could do what we did. Im going to be going through Marine boot in 2 weeks time and from the layout Ive seen, MC boot camp is not only physical but mental as well. Hence why they are the elite of all the branches,they not only show you how to do things but why you do the things they have you do.
    When the f**k did they start explaining to the recruits why they are making them do something??? Sh-t when I went through, you just did what you were told, and never ever asked "why". That would get you a trip to happy valley, or the quarter deck, or both.

Or the pit or the classroom or even worse the duty hut never did end up there seen a few make it there and it wasn't good,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Or the pit or the classroom or even worse the duty hut never did end up there seen a few make it there and it wasn't good,lol.
    Yeah that's what I meant by Happy Valley. That was my Drill Instrutor's name for the pit. He used to say "I call it Happy Valley because once you're in my "Valley" you'll be "Happy" to be anywhere else." SF

As far as rank...my rank is gone..I was a SSG in the Army..going to boot as just a recruit,with PFC pay..but itll all be worth it in the end. The way I see it,its not a demotion but a promotion,because no matter what rank ill end up being,Ill still be a U.S. Marine..

And as far as the beer machines...where have those been?..Id love a beer machine...lol..

Good, good...don't freakin' yell at them and hurt their feelings. I sure hope their enemies are as compassionate. Aint Really Marine Yet!

As far as rank...my rank is gone..I was a SSG in the Army..going to boot as just a recruit,with PFC pay..but itll all be worth it in the end. The way I see it,its not a demotion but a promotion,because no matter what rank ill end up being,Ill still be a U.S. Marine..

And as far as the beer machines...where have those been?..Id love a beer machine...lol..
    The Drill Instructors will have a hey day with you I hope you are thick skinned,lol.

You gotta be freaking kidding me.

everybody is telling me that...good thing I was raised by a Marine recon sniper...been in boot camp since i was a kid...lol...wish I could hide the fact I was in the Army...not really the proudest time of my life..I was sgt-save-a-soldier,going to bat for all my soldiers and getting the brunt of it,so I got out.

everybody is telling me that...good thing I was raised by a Marine recon sniper...been in boot camp since i was a kid...lol...wish I could hide the fact I was in the Army...not really the proudest time of my life..I was sgt-save-a-soldier,going to bat for all my soldiers and getting the brunt of it,so I got out.
    Being a SSgt in the Army gives you, in the Corps, a fast track to promotions. You will find with prior service you will adapt and learn much faster than Joe Private in most cases. I wish you luck, and SF. My Step-son is a SSGt in the Army with three PHs earned in an 8 day period. Google SSgt Craig Showers if you wish to know more about him. SF

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The DIs will pick on you for being prior Army. They find reasons to pick on everyone - being an ex-soldier just provides them with a wonderful ready made excuse. But, they are testing you. If you let it roll off your back, they will ease up on you and may even show a little more respect for you (at least toward the end of boot camp). After all, you might have as much time in the military as one or two of them.

Your prior experience should make boot camp slightly easier for you, although don't be surprised to be placed in a squad leader/guide position early on. The DIs want SL/Guide who can make their life simpler. There was an ex-Army guy in my platoon and he was a squad leader from beginning to end. He had no problems with boot camp at all. The DIs pretty much left him alone about being a doggy after a week or so once he proved he could take it and could perform to Marine Corps standard. In fact, his age and experience was a bonus for a lot of us young kids as he knew some general tricks and tips on surviving military life. He would have made meritorious PFC if he hadn't already been a contract PFC.

After boot camp,like mcvet57103 said, you will be on a bit of a fast track for promotions if you work hard and keep your sh*t together. Your prior military experience will show through. Don't expect to pickup SSgt as fast though. SSgt is a major promotion milestone in the Corps and the majority do not make that rank until at least their second enlistment. Making sergeant in a few years is quite doable, however.

I thank you for the tips. Im hoping I succeed in boot camp and if I get put into a leadership position,I truely hope I dont fail myself and my platoon. As far as getting back up to E-6, Im honestly not shooting for that. Im hoping after a few years as enlisted I would be accepted into the OCS program.I do have my degree, but I am opting for enlisted first, as the best officers Ive ever met were prior enlisted.

If you raised by a Marine why did you go army?

Good job Army, way to enforce the standard.

Thread Information