Marines on The Price is Right
Create Post

Angry Marines on The Price is Right

Today there was a tribute to the Marine Corps on The Price is Right gameshow. I didn't mind the part about how Bob screwed up the ranks and hash marks, talking like he knew what rank the Marine next to him was and how long he had been in when he was completely wrong. Had I not studied Marine Corps rank structure I wouldn't have known. What bothered me was at the end when they were displaying the showcases the models were in a mock Marine Corps blouse with rank displayed and the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. In addition, they wore the Smokey Bear cover with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. To make it worse, they wore this with short shorts. Like "don't bend over" shorts. And they had platform shoes on! I feel as if they made a mochary of the Marine Corps when I know they were trying to respect it.

Did anyone else see this? If so, what are your thoughts?

Registered User Free Member CPLRapoza's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    No, but when I was in 29 palms, they had feild trips to that show all the time. I also came in contact with a exotic dancer who wore the same thing and I didn't mind it that much. She made me do push ups on the stage.

Not that uncommon to see the up close and personal on the night of the Marine Corps Ball... but I hated that too! But the biggest problem I have with Marines on the Price is Right are the Marines themselves. I am pretty sure that a giant price tag with your name (first name no less) is not a part of any Marine Corps uniform. If one of my Marines would have done that they would move every square inch of dirt in north America, and then put it back where they found it.

Not beign a Marine, yet the wife of one, and also a veteran of the US Army, I felt betrayed by what was worn by the "showgirls". I feel that only those who earned the uniform should wear it. Although, I am not sure how that would affect Hollywood. I hate to see people who think they can make money from wearing something that people have shed blood for. Although I enjoyed the show, I felt the whole clothing could have been avoided. Oh well, just my personal opinion.

Lighten up folks ! There are more importantant things to get jacked up over than what went on with this show.

I understand what ya'll are saying ...
    I just got annoyed when I saw the Eagle, Globe and Anchor worn with platform shoes and shorts that my mom would never let me wear out of the house when I don't even call it an EGA or say, "Semper Fi," because I haven't earned that right yet.

CrazyBrave83
    Guest Free Member

That's no good.

I agree it's a small matter, somewhat, but what it is on an actual level is FAR different than what it is on a level to a Marine. I'm not a Marine yet, but it does offend me that a group of models are wearing the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. On a lesser scale, it even bothers me when Young Marine groups wear the EGA and the uniform. I think even groups like that should have modified uniforms. I know it may be overkill, but I think until you earn the actual EGA, you have no right to wear it. I'm not talking T-shirts, that type stuff, I have a shirt I got for being a poolee, but I'm not going to wear a white cover with the EGA on it, it's a different story. Does anyone agree with me here?

I agree with you completely. I don't believe strongly enough in the matter to work to have it changed, but as you can tell I've voiced my opinion.

I'm not a Marine so I don't really get a vote on this subject, but I'm able to draw a smaller parallel to it. I'm a lifeguard and have a guard suit and guard Tshirts that I wear when I'm on duty. There lots of people that wear sweatshirts and swimsuits that say lifeguard when they're not only not on duty, they're not lifeguards. I personally don't agree with that. Of course this is a much lesser issue than how the Eagle, Globe and Anchor should be treated, but it's an issue I get a vote on.

Maybe I took what I saw on that gameshow a little too hard (and I probably did), but it's difficult not to when I have such respect for the Marine Corps.

Registered User Free Member JChristin's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    As a Woman Marine,

I don't care to see Women Marines demeaned in any fashion or manner. We are not swinging hookers or fun time dancing chicks looking for a few good men. We are professional warriors performing a valuable service to our country. Not some sweet time bimbo seeking a few laughs.

I do not care to see the uniform, of either gender, of the greatest branch of the military - since the time of Rome - to be demeaned or shown disrespect. To me, it a manner of honor.

Will it happen, sure will. Will it happen again, you bet. I simply don't watch television programs or pay any attention to any media outlet that performs actions I find demeaning. Just like I will not watch any movies or programs that feature Jane Fonda. Its all a manner of choice.

semper fi,
    jchristin

Thread Information