"Pentagon allows coverage of Flag draped coffins arriving at Dover AFB"
Create Post

"Pentagon allows coverage of Flag draped coffins arriving at Dover AFB"

I know there is a discussion in the Open Squad Bay area, but I wanted to see what everyone had to say about.

Here's the story

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/...ead/index.html

I just don't understand how the whole "Families have a say in it" is going to work.

This is a tough issue, but if I had to pick a side, I would go with leaving the caskets private. My biggest fear about publicizing the caskets is that the liberals would use it to generate anti-war messages and try to pull us out of this (necessary) war. I know if I died for my country, I would not want some liberal @ssholes staining my honor by parading around pictures of my casket during their anti-war rallies. That is the ultimate disrespect in my mind. I wouldn't mind it if the nation were to honor my my sacrifice with the pictures, but the thought of the anti-war rallies would make me roll-over in my grave. I do think that the families should have some say-so in whether or not the media should be involved in the grieving process. This is my two cents.

I dont't really understand the calling the family part either. They don't need to be riminded of those bad feelings. I don't think they should show the coffins on TV at all. Seeing the coffins will make people think only of the casualties caused by the war, and not about the real progress being made over There.

Very good point, I agree.

Sgt- Exactly, I think groups like code pink are going to use this to stir up even more controversy and bull s***, it's really disrespectful

1st of all, non of you poolees should have any opinion on the policies of the Pentagon.

2nd, if you insist on having an opinion, just know, that no matter what it may be, you will have to uphold whatever policies there are you don't agree with, once you're in the Marine Corps.

3rd, cfinch189, you are breaking the forum rules by posting this in the poolee hall. This will not help you are your poolees to become Marines in any shape or form. Re-read the forum's rules, and focus on what's important for DEPrs.

My view is that of not making this a media spectacle. The photos on this page
    http://www.thememoryhole.org/war/coffin_photos/dover/
    taken inside the plane are ROUTINELY used in video propaganda produced by Al-Qa'ida and other terrorist groups.

Had I come back from Afghanistan or Iraq in a box I sure as hell wouldn't want to end up a tool of terrorist propaganda. Even images that don't draw up so much controversy find there way into the videos and electronic publications.

There are better ways of honoring them and recognizing their sacrifices without making them a tool of terrorist propaganda in the process.

I apologize Cpl, I wasn't trying to hate on the Government at all, just trying to get a view of the members on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    This is a tough issue, but if I had to pick a side, I would go with leaving the caskets private. My biggest fear about publicizing the caskets is that the liberals would use it to generate anti-war messages and try to pull us out of this (necessary) war. I know if I died for my country, I would not want some liberal @ssholes staining my honor by parading around pictures of my casket during their anti-war rallies. That is the ultimate disrespect in my mind. I wouldn't mind it if the nation were to honor my sacrifice with the pictures, but the thought of the anti-war rallies would make me roll-over in my grave. I do think that the families should have some say-so in whether or not the media should be involved in the grieving process. This is my two cents.
    I agree. Didn't work very well for the Vietnam Vets.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHarleyGear View Post
    I agree. Didn't work very well for the Vietnam Vets.
    Exactly. And since this is another war riddled with anti-war rallies, I think it would be wise not to repeat the mistakes of the past by allowing the media to publicize these deaths.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Having spent 20 years in our beloved Corps

I put a few Marines to their final resting place. These Marines were not combat casualties but died from age. When I presented the flag to the family it was very humbleing to do. This may have nothing to do with Dover Delaware but after seeing Taking Chance tonight at Quantico the media maggots need to stay away or anybody else that will dishinor the fallen.

This should not be a media circus.

Semper Fi

Gunny out

Thread Information