Wanting to join...need some advice.
Create Post

Question Wanting to join...need some advice.

Okay, a little background on me before I get to the questions. My grandfather, father, sister, and ex-husband---all Marines. I have wanted to be a Marine for a while now. However my weight has been an issue I currently am 5'4" 244 lbs. My doctor has prescribed me some medication that will help me lose the weight. I excersize regularly now and have a good idea as to what I need to do as far as physical fitness is concerned. My question is....I fell 2 years ago and broke my leg and ankle and have a plate with 6 screws in my fibula(the little bone on the outer part of the leg), I did have 2 screws in my ankle but they didnt fuse so the dr removed them a year later. I have no trouble with these injuries...rarely do they hurt. I want to know if I wil be able to join...and possibly need a waiver for that or am I just S.O.L. in being able to join?

I should also mention im 6 months from being 28 years old.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You would need waivers for everything......

I currently am 5'4" 244 lbs.

My doctor has prescribed me some medication that will help me lose the weight.

I fell 2 years ago and broke my leg and ankle and have a plate with 6 screws in my fibula(the little bone on the outer part of the leg), I did have 2 screws in my ankle
    However I would venture to say as you stated you are SOL..........Not for the weight...medication or pushing the age limit...........but for the leg and ankle.

The plate and pins would be disqualifying and if they were able to be removed it would be ages for physical therapy and recovery that would really be pushing your age limit.

Your injuries may rarely hurt you much........but the rigorous training of a Marine will only compound your injuries.

However.....the feeling now is that anything is waivable........go speak to a recruiter.......it doesn't hurt and you never know until you ask.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Recruter Time,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by agwilliams View Post
    Okay, a little background on me before I get to the questions. My grandfather, father, sister, and ex-husband---all Marines. I have wanted to be a Marine for a while now. However my weight has been an issue I currently am 5'4" 244 lbs. My doctor has prescribed me some medication that will help me lose the weight. I excersize regularly now and have a good idea as to what I need to do as far as physical fitness is concerned. My question is....I fell 2 years ago and broke my leg and ankle and have a plate with 6 screws in my fibula(the little bone on the outer part of the leg), I did have 2 screws in my ankle but they didnt fuse so the dr removed them a year later. I have no trouble with these injuries...rarely do they hurt. I want to know if I wil be able to join...and possibly need a waiver for that or am I just S.O.L. in being able to join?

Its a little late in the game to want to go play Marine isn't it....? Your weight, your injuries, your age and especially the physical ondition you're in all support the fact that you won't be able to handle the rigors of Marine Corps bootcamp or extensive physical exertion without giving out or simply not handling the task at all. This is plainly unacceptable from a Marine.....how will you watch your buddies back and obviously carry your own weight with a unit without becoming a burden your self?

You have more than few negative things going against you and if its at all feasible you must get off the meds and lose over half your body weight within 6 months and magically heal your leg and ankle to even qualify for bootcamp.

Sad to say that it is highly unlikely that you will ever become a Marine.

well big jim...marines over come odds...thats what they do!!! as for pulling my own weight and watching everones back...yeah i already do that with my current job. as for the whole age thing...we will see....im going to talk to a recruiter on monday and see what is said...but your 28th birthday is not the cut off...you can join if you are 28....but their are only 2 outcomes to this...1 the recruiter say not no way not no how...maybe try the navy...or i keep exercising and become a hot chick...either way its better than where i am at now.

or i keep exercising and become a hot chick....
    Do the world, and yourself a favor and do this, good luck.

well big jim...marines over come odds...thats what they do!!! as for pulling my own weight and watching everones back...yeah i already do that with my current job. as for the whole age thing...we will see....im going to talk to a recruiter on monday and see what is said...but your 28th birthday is not the cut off...you can join if you are 28....but their are only 2 outcomes to this...1 the recruiter say not no way not no how...maybe try the navy...or i keep exercising and become a hot chick...either way its better than where i am at now.

...AND THIS BASED ON YOUR YEARS OF EXPERIENCE OVERCOMING YOUR ODDS...? PUH-LEASE.......GO LISTEN TO THAT RECRUITER HE'LL TELL YOU THE SAME THING......

How about capitalizing Marines aren't we worthy of that?

The best thing for you to do is talk to a recruiter in person. That should be step 1...

Thread Information