300,000 M-14s Destined for Trash Pile
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

300,000 M-14s Destined for Trash Pile

Read this, and then sigh the onling petition.

A petition drive is underway to convince lawmakers to "civilianize" hundreds of thousands of M-14 military battle rifles so they can be legally sold by the government to the general public as a way to pay for the Iraq war.

According to the online petition, "there is a strong demand for an M-14 DCM [Director of Civilian Marksmanship] program, which will curb government waste by providing up to $300-600 million [for] deficit reduction."

"With uncertainty of the price tag of the current war, this will help pay for freedoms we enjoy in this country," says the petition. "With the looming war deficit, our government should not throw away hundreds of millions of dollars by destroying M-14 rifles – some of which are brand new."

The petition, which is being spearheaded by Robert A. Yoder, says as many as 300,000 rifles could wind up in the scrap heap without the government getting any return on its investment.

The DCM program to save the M-14s could work like a similar program involving another venerable military workhorse, the M-1 (Garand) and M-1 carbine series of military rifles.

The DCM sold those through the Civilian Marksmanship Program, a course that promotes firearms safety training and rifle practice for all qualified U.S. citizens with special emphasis on youth.

The Civilian Marksmanship Program also offers for sale AR-15-type match rifles, M1917 Enfields, M1903 bolt-action rifles (a former U.S. military weapon) and .22-caliber target rifles at subsidized rates.

"The U.S. Rifle, 7.62 mm, M-14 was the first rifle the U. S. fielded, that improved upon the highly regarded U. S. Rifle, Caliber.30, M1 (Garand) and attempted to give U. S. Forces a NATO-standardized weapon," "The M-14 came into active service around 1957 and remained the standard infantry weapon until the official adoption of the M-16 rifle in the late 1960s.

"Like its predecessor, the M-14 is now relegated to ship's arms rooms, ROTC detachments, storage bins in government arsenals and, of late, the demilitarized scrap pile," says the petition.

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Sign the petition here:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/M14CMP03/petition.html

Semper Fi
    Bob

Thanks, Bob. #13,910.

Semper Fidelis,

Frank
    Mike 3/4 1966
    3dCIT 1971

W T F?

Is there someone in Congress that pays taxes? This is a no-brainer. The M-1 program was a win-win, why can't this one be the same?

Take care-Steve

S/F

Registered User Free Member kubba's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Bob I signed and I wish when they start looking for money they should cut the salaries of all those washington big wigs
    Semper FI
    Stan

Read & signed. I'd be more than happy to "adopt" one.

13728 signed

Registered User Free Member gemntx's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Bob. The M14 was the first service rifle that I shot and qualified with.

sounds like a plan to me

Thumbs up I don't want a teenage queen, all I want is my M14

13746. Michael L. Donnelly
    Comment: Any destruction of these rifles should be considered as waste, fraud, and abuse of government property and funds.
    A DCM M14 would make great company for my three (03) M1's, M1903A3, M1917, four (04) AR-15's, and M1A. Can Y'all tell I like rifles?

This will cause severe hyperventilation among the Democrats on The Hill and whatever Sarah Brady's bunch is calling themselves these days.

I neglected to add my Remington 700 PSS in .308, and she is very annoyed.

# 13769

Registered User Free Member richgitz's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up

Count me in. #13771.

In 1964 I qualified High Marksman with the M-14

In late 1966 after returning from Nam I qualified High Expert

Only missed one 6" bull at 500 meters, today I can't even see the 6" bull at 500 meters!

Semper Fi,
    Bob

Registered User Free Member Barndog's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    # 13774.

Semper Fidelis - To the Corps

Barndog

Credits
    Savings
    13793 I would like to adopt one myself

i shure would like to have one in my gun rack