NRTOC Predicament
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

NRTOC Predicament

I enlisted into the DEP when I was seventeen so I needed my parents consent. Part of the deal I cut with them, well mostly my mom, was that I would apply for the NROTC scholarship with the Marine Corps option. Well I agreed to it just so they would sign the papers. So I did the interviews, ran the PFT, and thought I was done with it because I didn't do so hot on the three mile run. Well anyway, I get a call on Thursday from my recruiter saying that I have been selected for the scholarship. So here's the tough part.

1. A Master Gunnery Sergeant that does all the ship dates wants to discharge everyone who was selected for NROTC by March 31. My NROTC package won't get here until sometime next week and then I still have to do a physical, which brings me to my next point

2. I read that for NROTC any astigmatism over 3.00 diopters is a DQ, I have anywhere from 3.25-4.00 depending on what kind of machine they are using. So obviously if I don't pass the physical, I am still going to want to go the enlisted route, but if I'm discharged from the DEP I am going to lose my ship date and my job.

3. How do I handle this situation?

Thanks
    -Ben

The Master Gunny does not have to discharge you. Explain the situation to him.

Credits
    Savings
    Problem solved, the Captain in charge of the NROTC of the recruiting area said that they are not going to screw people over who have showed enough of a desire to be a Marine that they both enlisted and applied for NROTC.

I guess the Master Gunnery Sergeant wanted to discharge the NROTC people because of the recent increase of people wanting to join.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by bstewar09 View Post
    I enlisted into the DEP when I was seventeen so I needed my parents consent. Part of the deal I cut with them, well mostly my mom, was that I would apply for the NROTC scholarship with the Marine Corps option. Well I agreed to it just so they would sign the papers. So I did the interviews, ran the PFT, and thought I was done with it because I didn't do so hot on the three mile run. Well anyway, I get a call on Thursday from my recruiter saying that I have been selected for the scholarship. So here's the tough part.

1. A Master Gunnery Sergeant that does all the ship dates wants to discharge everyone who was selected for NROTC by March 31. My NROTC package won't get here until sometime next week and then I still have to do a physical, which brings me to my next point

2. I read that for NROTC any astigmatism over 3.00 diopters is a DQ, I have anywhere from 3.25-4.00 depending on what kind of machine they are using. So obviously if I don't pass the physical, I am still going to want to go the enlisted route, but if I'm discharged from the DEP I am going to lose my ship date and my job.

3. How do I handle this situation?

Thanks
    -Ben

Something does not sound right here! Normally, enlist recruiting and NROTC scholarship are two seperate entities. You can apply for NROTC scholarship when you are in HS, and you got to be the smartest kid of your class, and if you got accepted, they will send you to Naval Academy or any school that have ROTC program. Enlist recruiters would tell you apply for MECEP after you enlist, which the M.C. will pay for your college.

Credits
    Savings
    Staff Sergeant,

I talked to both a Enlistment recruiter and an officer selection recruiter. My enlistment recruiter encouraged me to try for NROTC as well because he tried for it but didn't get it because of the PFT.

Credits
    Savings
    It sounds to me your recruiter was processing you for enlistment. What was your PFT score and and MEPS said about your astigmatism?

Credits
    Savings
    On my PFT I was just a few points below a first class. When I took it I was in the middle of football season and I was an offensive lineman, not the best build for running a PFT. But I passed the enlistment physical with something like 3.25 diopters of astigmatism in each eye. But I guess it is standard operating procedure to have a consult for anyone over 3.00 diopters to get checked for some rare eye disease. So MEPS said I was good to go for enlistment. However, I read the anything about 3.00 diopters are disqualifying for selection for NROTC.

Credits
    Savings
    I am still don't understand why both your recruiter and the OSO told you to try for NROTC, and then they make you do PFT and physical at MEPS?

O.k., I guess the recruiter talked to you about NROTC when you were seventeen, and how old are you now? When did you take the PFT and physical?

Credits
    Savings
    Well my brother did the NROTC thing but he was in it for the money and dropped out after his freshman year, so thats how my parents knew about and wouldn't sign my papers until I agreed to apply for it.

I ran the PFT at Offutt AFB near Omaha. I am eighteen now. I took the PFT in Novemeber, but took the enlistment physical at MEPS in July when I joined the DEP.

My recruiter really didn't mind that I applied for NROTC because he has more than enough people signed up already.

The enlistment physical and officer physical are taken apart from each other because there are some different standards. I have yet to take the officer physical.

Last edited by bstewar09; 03-22-09 at 08:33 PM. Reason: more info

Credits
    Savings
    But I should add that I just want to be a Marine, whether it be officer or enlisted

Credits
    Savings
    A few more questions before I jump into my conclusion. you didn't aswere me when did you do the PFT and Physical? Did your recruiter give you a ship date yet? And you are out of HS now?

Credits
    Savings
    I was eighteen at the time I did the PFT in November for NROTC. I was seventeen when I took the enlistment physical. I have yet to take the NROTC physical. My shipdate is July 6th. I am still in HS, I graduate in May.

Credits
    Savings
    You took the PFT your NROTC and who are those people? Is it the Marine Corps Recruiter?

And about the OSO, they normally don't do any thing until you are a Junior or Senior in college.

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry, I got the titles mixed up. The Captain that observed my PFT is the XO of the recruiting district. I have only been selected for the NRTOC scholarship based on my PFT and my HS transcripts, letters of recommendation etc.

My enlistment recruiter is a Sargeant

Credits
    Savings
    Who are those people told you that you are selected for NROTC? Did they give you any document to sign?

Thread Information