From AF to Marine: Enlisted or Officer
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Donseiders, Germany (stationed on Ramstein)
    Credits
    Savings

From AF to Marine: Enlisted or Officer

I'm currently serving my first term in the Air Force, I've been in 4 years and I still have 3 years left on my extension. I've made the decision that the AF is not for me and I have full intentions on becoming a Marine as soon as I can. My biggest concern is whether to go Enlisted or Officer... I just made E-5, and I was told I'd be reduced to E-2 for Basic Training (not a big problem since I don't do it for the money)- but I do have a family(wife+3kids) to support

Anyone know anything about crossing over? Also is there a huge difference in the Enlisted and Officer Corps. Not to bash but from what I've seen, as respectfully as possible, the AF Enlisted (mostly Junior) are disrespectful, undisciplined, untrained spoiled brats and in the Officer side I've seen no camaraderie or regard for anything but their own careers'. Is it pretty much the same in the Marines or can I look forward to genuine people who are willing to serve their Country and the man/woman next to them at all cost, without worrying about whats in it for themselves?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    The Marine Corps is very small compared to our Sister Branches of the Armed Services. We run a tight ship and Leadership and Discipline are paramount. Finish college and find an OSO.

Credits
    Savings
    Yes, Sir, but as an Officer do I get the privilege of fighting alongside my Marines? Or would just make the order to execute plans...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AF2Marine View Post
    Yes, Sir, but as an Officer do I get the privilege of fighting alongside my Marines? Or would just make the order to execute plans...
    It depends on your MOS. If you're an infantry officer, then you certainly would as a platoon commander or company commander. As you rise in rank, your "trigger time" will go down as you would have duties other than doing the shooting.

What do you do at Ramstein? My oldest daughter is deployed there at the CASF.

Credits
    Savings
    That's what I'm trying to decipher.. the MOS's. I'm in Combat Comm. a ground radio technician. So I know radios and from what I read a Comm Officer would be perfect but how much do they deploy compared to an Infantry Officer? I just got here in Nov. What's your daughter's name? Is she AF or Army?

reduced to E-2? Air Force E-5 to Marine PFC is a promotion.

Ok, this part is not meant to be too disparaging, but enlisted AF is as far away from the military life as one can get while still being in the military. Because most of your jobs are technical (and in the rear), your workplaces and lifestyles are utterly civilian in nature. Thus, you never really shed the whiny and privileged civilian attitudes.

Marines (many soldiers and sailors, too) share a lot of misery in their lifestyles. While there is no shortage of griping in the Corps, it's not usually about the cable TV going out in the dorms. I won't take too many sentences to try and explain it. You wouldn't get it until you joined, anyway.

Credits
    Savings
    Understood.

As a Marine radio guy, I can ensure you that you would be deploying as a Marine comm officer. In comm units the platoon commanders and company commanders are along side their Marines on a constant basis.

That said, knowing radios is different than being a comm officer. Our officers didn't actually know how to turn on at least one radio I operated (TRC-170), much less actually work the thing. They worry about theory and the "big picture" not the actual operations of the gear.

Everyone one of us here at The Basic School has been told we will probably be deployed within a year of finishing up here. Even the Comm and Adj folk. A lot of our staff are what most would considered "in the rear" or POG MOSs, but they have been deployed. Often they are working to train the security forces/army or being a rifle platoon commander...

Credits
    Savings
    My big Cousin is a Marine, He told make that if I wanted to be in the field and CQB let my recruiter know I didnt want anything POGGISH. What MOS would fall under the non POG status for Officers?

Wouldn't a wife and 3 children be too many dependents?

Pretty much anything but infantry or combat engineers is Poggish as you put it.

POG = Person other than Grunt.

Which by the way, makes up probably 85% of the Corps. If you think being a POG is a bad thing... you best stay in the Air Force.

Also, you have NO guarantee of any job as an officer. You have preferences, but you best be sure to be happy with just being a Marine Officer. If that's not your cup of tea, consider... Wal-Mart.

Nothing is wrong with being a POG.

The Marine Corps centers itself on the grunts.

I see my job as data nuthead, ensuring that parts get order, so that planes can fly, so that bombs can be dropped to protect the grunt.

Quote Originally Posted by rvillac2 View Post
    reduced to E-2? Air Force E-5 to Marine PFC is a promotion.
    Exactly

Thread Information