High School vs College credits, PFC requirements...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

High School vs College credits, PFC requirements...

When I went to the recruiter, the first thing I told him was that I did not graduate high school. I then went on to explain that instead of finishing my senior year, I went onto college for a year instead. There I received the 15+ college credits that my recruiter told me I was required to have instead of a diploma. He said that not only was I able to join the Marines, but I would get PFC after boot camp due to my college credits.

Yesterday I went through MEPS (One of the most fun fourteen hours of my life *sarcasm*) and finally got to the contract signing/swearing in part. I went over my contract and noticed it said I was on the E1 pay scale, and pointed it out. They told me I had to work it out with the Marine Liaison after I signed and swore in, so thats what I did. They told me that my recruiter was incorrect, and that since I was using the college credits as a replacement of my diploma, I could not use them for the rank up to PFC as well.

When we left MEPS, I told my recruiter this, and he said he didnt think that it was right, but that he would look into it. Im curious to know if anyone already knows the answer to this. Im kinda annoyed that I got told one thing, then signed a contract, then got another thing, but I understand that it happens. I have 6 months *sigh* before I get to go to boot camp, but I want to act as soon as I can if I require more credits.

I had my H.S. diploma and 20+ college credits when I enlisted. I was supposed to get E2, but my recruiter dropped the ball. I wasn't happy starting off as a Pvt, but I picked up Sgt in less than 3 years anyways. I am actually glad that I started as an E1 rather than an E2, I started off from the very bottom and built myself up. Moral of the story: it might be a blessing in disguise.

To me it makes sense that you only get E-1.. Because you did not complete the Senior year in high school, and the college credits you do have are only meant as a replacement for that senior year of high school.

As far as I know you need the high school diploma, then the ADDITIONAL college credits after already having attained a high school diploma in order to rank E-2 and even then they have to be 12+ Credits in a class course number of 100 or greater (e.x. Biology 101, English 101..etc.) and a Q.GPA of 2.3 or better.

I'm in a similar situation regarding this, I have my high school diploma and 15+ College credits but one quarter was a 2.33 and the other a 2.0 so I might have to take extra courses to get that gpa up..but if it dosent work out I will be ok..I started life on the bottom and worked my way up, this could be like commdog said "..might be a blessing in disguise"

Last edited by Gnetics; 02-15-09 at 03:19 AM. Reason: adding some more

It wasnt really a replacement to my senior year... It was against my teachers/counselors suggestions, I didnt get my diploma, so I basically just dropped out of high school, then went to college, and didnt finish that either. Neither were challenging enough to keep my attention recruiter says boot camp will be harder, hehe. The GPA thing is something I didnt hear from anyone yet, so thats something new... Im pretty sure I didnt get a 2.3 in anything at all, so I guess I dont have to worry about getting PFC anymore.

Did you get your GED? from what I read, the GED plus 15 college credits is what you need to replace a diploma ( to join the Marines). Also, If you don't get guaranteed PFC out of boot, It's not really that big of a deal....By the time your done MCT and MOS school you'll have it. Congrat's on your decision to become a United States Marine (It is what you make it)! Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by z1411 View Post
    recruiter says boot camp will be harder
    You think?

You better get that quit out of your body cause we don't like quitters.

And excuses are like, azzholes.

Im kinda annoyed that I got told one thing, then signed a contract, then got another thing, but I understand that it happens. I have 6 months *sigh* before I get to go to boot camp, but I want to act as soon as I can if I require more credits.
    I joined with a GED and 15 college credits.

First off, don't ask other poolees for help with issues like these.

Second, I was a contract PFC. College credits aren't like money...you can't spend them all in one place. YOUR PROBLEM may lie with not having a GED.

And last, next time you sign a contract read it BEFORE signing it! The only person you should be annoyed with is yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    You think?

You better get that quit out of your body cause we don't like quitters.

And excuses are like, azzholes.
    I quit because I felt it was a waste of time, and I never wanted to be there in the first place. When your teachers literally tell you that you know the subject better then they do themselves, you sort of lose interest. I dont believe the Drill Instructor will be telling me I know how to be a Marine better them himself, and that I shouldnt even bother waking up because Im going to pass no matter what.

Quitting is not a option, nor will ever be a desire of mine. And I have no excuses for quitting school, I dont regret it either. I always achieve what I aim for, and my goal is to be a Marine, nothing else. Two completely opposite situations.

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    I joined with a GED and 15 college credits.

First off, don't ask other poolees for help with issues like these.

Second, I was a contract PFC. College credits aren't like money...you can't spend them all in one place. YOUR PROBLEM may lie with not having a GED.

And last, next time you sign a contract read it BEFORE signing it! The only person you should be annoyed with is yourself.
    I appologize for my location of the thread, my mistake.

My recruiter told me GED's dont exsist to the Marines, and that it never has a effect on any situation for any recruit. Apparently he was incorrect about that as well?

And last, I did read my contract before I signed it, of course. Several times actually, I dont sign anything without doing so. I pointed it out before hand, and they said it could be changed later on if I was correct, but that they couldnt do anything about it at the moment.

If you wanna be a PFC out of boot you can always try for the two referrals.

To all you Young Men out there, Remember you can ALWAY'S learn something from Everybody....The moment you shut your ears because you think you already know it all...You will start to slide backwards!!
    Think of your brain like a sponge, try to absorb everything you can at all times.

When I went to the recruiter, the first thing I told him was that I did not graduate high school. I then went on to explain that instead of finishing my senior year, I went onto college for a year instead. There I received the 15+ college credits that my recruiter told me I was required to have instead of a diploma. He said that not only was I able to join the Marines, but I would get PFC after boot camp due to my college credits.

Yesterday I went through MEPS (One of the most fun fourteen hours of my life *sarcasm*) and finally got to the contract signing/swearing in part. I went over my contract and noticed it said I was on the E1 pay scale, and pointed it out. They told me I had to work it out with the Marine Liaison after I signed and swore in, so thats what I did. They told me that my recruiter was incorrect, and that since I was using the college credits as a replacement of my diploma, I could not use them for the rank up to PFC as well.

When we left MEPS, I told my recruiter this, and he said he didnt think that it was right, but that he would look into it. Im curious to know if anyone already knows the answer to this. Im kinda annoyed that I got told one thing, then signed a contract, then got another thing, but I understand that it happens. I have 6 months *sigh* before I get to go to boot camp, but I want to act as soon as I can if I require more credits.
    You should have graduated high school or have a GED, I really think that is the problem holding you from getting them mosquito wings.

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    I had my H.S. diploma and 20+ college credits when I enlisted. I was supposed to get E2, but my recruiter dropped the ball. I wasn't happy starting off as a Pvt, but I picked up Sgt in less than 3 years anyways. I am actually glad that I started as an E1 rather than an E2, I started off from the very bottom and built myself up. Moral of the story: it might be a blessing in disguise.

less than 3 years? damn, CONGRATS! mind explaining how? sounds pretty sweet

and to z1411.......... my friend went in as an E1, but graduated E2 because he did well in bootcamp. He wasnt even an honor grad, just a squad leader and from what he told me, some squad leaders get E2'd in boot.

It's pretty easy to get PFC out of boot camp. Just have a high PFT, good rifle qual, and don't be a **** up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolerance View Post
    less than 3 years? damn, CONGRATS! mind explaining how? sounds pretty sweet

and to z1411.......... my friend went in as an E1, but graduated E2 because he did well in bootcamp. He wasnt even an honor grad, just a squad leader and from what he told me, some squad leaders get E2'd in boot.
    It's really not that hard if you have the right mos and stay out of trouble. My unit didn't do any metorious promotions, so I lucked out there. Time-in-grade got me up to LCpl a little over a year in service. I did a bunch of MCIs (about 45 completed as of now- I lost count), took college classes, and got good pro's/con's. I picked up Cpl as soon as my composite score came out just shy of my 2 year mark. I went to Cpl's course and later MSG school, which helped me get my composite score high enough to pick-up as soon as it came out. My mos, 0621-radio op, has a pretty low cutting score, which helped. I surprised most Marines, because I picked up Sgt before I was old enough to drink. It happens.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    z1411...I'm confused. You say you know more than the teachers, but don't have a 2.3 GPA. Seems odd to me.

Thread Information