Retired Marine paves way for Leathernecks everywhere

Written by Story and Photo By Lance Cpl. Shannon E. mcmillan Scout Staff
Tuesday, 10 February 2009

The best things in life are not always planned.

Retired Sgt. Maj. Eleanor L. Judge is a strong believer of this and carries the saying with her when she talks about her career in the Marine Corps.

“I can’t see my life spent any differently,” said Judge, who currently resides in Oceanside.

Looking back on her extensive career in the Corps, she said she cherishes the moments when she was a drill instructor, stationed in Italy and sergeant major of Women Marine Recruit Training.

While serving her last year and looking into retiring after 31 years of service, Judge served as the sergeant major of MCB Camp Pendleton in 1980. This feat made her the first female Marine to be posted to the position and take charge of a base.

She began her career at a young age. She was not planning for her future when she began her career at the age of 20. She explained what struck her interest to join the Marine Corps.

“I remember my friends and I were asked to go to a ball with a few guys we knew who were Marines,” she said. “We had a great time and we were instantly hooked.”

She enlisted into the Marine Corps Women Reserves in 1949 and stayed in her hometown of Cambridge, Mass. She was assigned to the 2nd Infantry Battalion, as an administration clerk, where she fulfilled her training once a month and received her monthly check of ten dollars.

“What most Marines of the (current) era do not know is that I never went to boot camp,” she said. “I was in a reserve unit and we trained so much and went through all the classes, they decided it was not necessary for a lot of us to go.”

Judge received a letter in the mail, several months after enlisting, ordering her to activate in the reserves, she only had two weeks to situate her life and report to her duty station.

In 1953, after three years of duty at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, Judge was given orders to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. She said she enjoyed her time overseas and did not mind the extra $17 that was added to her pay.

“I remember spending my first Christmas Eve in Hawaii at the airport,” she said. “We went to the airport to watch the planes leave, knowing we were not going home.”

She said watching the planes leave the airport brought tears to her and her friends’ eyes. Judge and the other Marines stationed at Pearl Harbor were not allowed to go home on leave unless they were reenlisting or deploying.

After serving at a few more duty stations, Judge received orders to become a recruiter in Pittsburgh, Pa.

The duty of being a woman recruiter in the Pennsylvania district was not her favorite.

“I did not like being a recruiter because I did not like being around people that much,” she said. “I missed being around Marines.”

Because of her hard work and dedication, Judge then received orders to Naples, Italy.

“The two years I spent there were marvelous,” she said. “I got to see a country that I would have never seen if it were not for the Marine Corps.”

While stationed in Italy, she was able to tour the majority of Europe during her liberty. Some of her best memories took place in Italy, but she has not returned since she left for her next duty station at Parris Island, S.C.

She will always remember being stationed on Parris Island as a drill instructor at WMRT. It was her favorite duty because she was able to train females to become Marines and see the transition that many do not have the opportunity to see.

“It was graduation day and a platoon was already dressed and in formation,” she said. “A mother was not even able to recognize her own daughter, until I pointed her out.”

It was as rewarding for her to see her recruits transform into Marines, as it was for Judge to train future Marines.

“I remember when I would count down the clock to call reveille (for the recruits),” Judge said. “Once it was time, we would wake them up by playing the Marine Corps hymn.” She added it was enjoyable to see the recruits jump out of their racks and stand at attention. It was amusing to see the disorientation of the recruits because of how they were woken up and how they squirmed at attention.

Judge enjoyed her life as she fulfilled her duties during her career, choosing to never marry or have kids but rather be married to the Corps.

She enjoyed spending her time with the Marines she led. She believed it would be difficult to balance a family and the Marine Corps. She said the Marine Corps is her family and she greatly appreciates the Marines who have been there for her.

Judge recently celebrated her 80th birthday with friends, family members and Marines from across the United States.

“It has taken me three weeks to celebrate my birthday and I’ve truly enjoyed it,” she said.

She remembers her 50th birthday, which she celebrated with Marines in Okinawa.

“I didn’t even know there was a party until the Marines surprised me with one, I didn’t feel 50 either,” she said.

Friends, family and Marines showed the same gratitude by coming together in California and across the states to show how she has touched them in a caring way.

“Eleanor deserves all the praise she gets,” said Marge Olerich, friend of Judge since 1989. “She is generous with her time and helps those who are in need. She is there for you.”

Olerich applauded Judge for her accomplishments and wished her more fulfilling years in a card that was given to Judge during her birthday party, Jan. 11.

Olerich said those who have been led by Judge and know her personally are fortunate as she has provided guidance and enriched their lives.

“Even though it was not planned, I enjoyed (my career) and it was …a time well spent for my life,” Judge said.

Ellie