Gunner..any fun facts? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Credits
    Savings
    Don't worry Doc- let the MG gorillas thin 'em out from afar and there will still be some up close and personal work to do!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete0331 View Post
    That record was recently broken by a Canadian sniper in Afghanistan.
    Here I was thinking this thread was to be about interesting facts or trivia of machine guns. Lets go ahead and talk about the barrett

That record was recently broken by a Canadian sniper in Afghanistan.

I highly doubt that it was with a automatic machine gun... so no that record has not been broken yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    there was a sharp shooter in WWI that used that approach and got some medal for it... he took out an entire platoon of advancing germans when he was the only guy left... he was so effective the germans didn't advance on his position until it was too late and he got re-enforcements. read that in history class in 9th grade.
    You're thinking of Sergeant York.

There's a famous story where his position is being overrun by Germans and he starts picking them off, one by one, from the back.

He later said he wanted to get them all, and if he hit the ones in front first he was afraid they'd turn and run.

I found the story. From Alvin York's personal diary:

October 8th 1918

There were over thirty of them in continuous action, and all I could do was touch the Germans off just as fast as I could. I was sharpshooting. I don't think I missed a shot. It was no time to miss.

In order to sight me or to swing their machine guns on me, the Germans had to show their heads above the trench, and every time I saw a head I just touched it off. All the time I kept yelling at them to come down. I didn't want to kill any more than I had to. But it was they or I. And I was giving them the best I had.

Suddenly a German officer and five men jumped out of the trench and charged me with fixed bayonets. I changed to the old automatic and just touched them off too. I touched off the sixth man first, then the fifth, then the fourth, then the third and so on. I wanted them to keep coming.

I didn't want the rear ones to see me touching off the front ones. I was afraid they would drop down and pump a volley into me.

http://www.sgtyork.org/sgtyorkdiary.html

Last edited by Bob Ash; 02-24-09 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Add Link

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    One of the longest confirmed shots ever fired was by Carlos Hathcock on M-2 modified with a scope and shot a guy off his bicycle from over a mile away.
    isn't he the same guy that supposedly shot another sniper's scope and brained him?

Quote Originally Posted by Streeter View Post
    isn't he the same guy that supposedly shot another sniper's scope and brained him?
    ummm no .

Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock.

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw3179 View Post
    ummm no .

Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock.
    [QUOTE]

One of Hathcock's most famous accomplishments was shooting an enemy sniper through his scope, hitting him in the eye and killing him.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock

I don't know if it is actually true or not, but people say it is.

Read Marine Sniper and Silent Warrior, GYSGT Hathcock was the Best of the Best, RIP Gunny.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Read Marine Sniper and Silent Warrior, GYSGT Hathcock was the Best of the Best, RIP Gunny.
    He certainly was the best sniper the Marine Corps had to offer.

Best of the best?
    Not in my opinion.
    There was a Finnish sniper with many more confirmed kills.

Gunny Hathcock did more the the Marine Corps by setting TTP's and SOP's
    for snipers then he did by killing the enemy.
    Certainly an amazing man and Marine though.

And that shot through the scope has been copied so many times it has lost
    the affect of how amazing, and lucky, it really was.

Best of the best?
    Not in my opinion.

well I dis-agree with your opinion (I can do that, it's my opinion too!! haha) because the number of confirmed kills doesn't make you the best... I can pluck off bad guys from a distance too if I had their skills.

what made him the best of the best was his dedication and fearlessness in some seriously messed up situations. just read both of those books mentioned above and you'll start to see what I'm talking about... I mean the guy jumped in a LAV??? that was engulfed in flames without even thinking (LSD? naw...) and saved a Marine.

The man basically made a scout sniper program the modern American military has practically adopted.

and as I re-read one of your sentences about TTPs and SOPs I guess you understand my point, but I will go back and say again that it's not all about killing the enemy... anyone can do that if they keep going out of the wire.

and don't forget gunny hathcock was wounded and never deployed again after that... let's not judge his score over a career, that would do him not justice.

Best of the best?
    Not in my opinion.

You know Gunny Hathcock also had an answer for the confirmed killls, It's not how many kills you have had as a Sniper, it's how many Marines you have saved and if you loved killing you would have to be crazy, he added the most to being a sniper even when he left our beloved Corps, RIP Gunny.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    well I dis-agree with your opinion (I can do that, it's my opinion too!! haha) because the number of confirmed kills doesn't make you the best... I can pluck off bad guys from a distance too if I had their skills.

what made him the best of the best was his dedication and fearlessness in some seriously messed up situations. just read both of those books mentioned above and you'll start to see what I'm talking about... I mean the guy jumped in a LAV??? that was engulfed in flames without even thinking (LSD? naw...) and saved a Marine.

The man basically made a scout sniper program the modern American military has practically adopted.

and as I re-read one of your sentences about TTPs and SOPs I guess you understand my point, but I will go back and say again that it's not all about killing the enemy... anyone can do that if they keep going out of the wire.

and don't forget gunny hathcock was wounded and never deployed again after that... let's not judge his score over a career, that would do him not justice.
    You said it all SSGT, Semper FI.

Thread Information