Ive noticed a trend....
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ive noticed a trend....

I've noticed a trend here. A lot of poolees seem to be too concerned with their physical fitness and how to be in the best shape possible before boot. Everyone wants to know what the best program to do is and the the best diet to supplement it with. Bootcamp is said to be 95% mental and 5% physical. It seems to me that most of us should be concerned with knowing as much Knowlege as we can beforehand, specifically general orders and rank structure. Also, we need to psych ourselves up and prepare for a hailstorm of insults and being considered worthless. A lot of people will take this personal and their performance with suffer nonetheless. You could be the most fit person in the company but totally **** yourself and panic when a DI is inches from your face hollering about how ****ty your sleeves are. Granted we probably will anyways. lol.

My advice: stop worrying so much about how you'll be able to run 3 miles quickly and relax. The DIs will surely motivate you enough. Be prepared mentally. And by no means will boot camp be easy! The key is to find that shred of hope and hold fast to it! "Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts!" - Winston Churchill.

Stay motivated, and best of luck!

You can't prepare for the mental onslaught, it's just something you have to go through at the time. Otherwise, yes...studying knowledge is important imo, though I haven't yet been, so I know nothing.

And of course, working out for that 5% physical will help your mental game because you will not be in such bad shape. It will make boot that much easier. Knowledge is something you can study while not working out ;]

This is my opinion, of course.

The DI's seeming lack of concern for recruits will bother you, believe me. However you really cant prepare much for the mental side of it. Getting ready for the physical aspect of it is a good idea but if you go in at relatively decent shape you should be fine. If I were a poolee again I would already be working on my PFT. Score high on the first PFT you set a good trend for the series and final PFT.

Quote Originally Posted by biesseb View Post
    The DI's seeming lack of concern for recruits will bother you, believe me. However you really cant prepare much for the mental side of it. Getting ready for the physical aspect of it is a good idea but if you go in at relatively decent shape you should be fine. If I were a poolee again I would already be working on my PFT. Score high on the first PFT you set a good trend for the series and final PFT.
    Couldn't agree with you more. There's really no way to prepare for the mental aspect of boot camp. No one truly knows how they'll react to the Drill Instructors screaming in their face. If I could go back and do it again I'd also work on my PFT. From my first PFT to my last PFT I gained about 25 points. Had I been working hard in the first place I could have gotten maybe a 270 or 275 on my first PFT and then I would have been able to strive for a 295-300 on my final PFT.

Quote Originally Posted by MotivatedMack88 View Post
    I've noticed a trend here. A lot of poolees seem to be too concerned with their physical fitness and how to be in the best shape possible before boot. Everyone wants to know what the best program to do is and the the best diet to supplement it with. Bootcamp is said to be 95% mental and 5% physical. It seems to me that most of us should be concerned with knowing as much Knowlege as we can beforehand, specifically general orders and rank structure. Also, we need to psych ourselves up and prepare for a hailstorm of insults and being considered worthless. A lot of people will take this personal and their performance with suffer nonetheless. You could be the most fit person in the company but totally **** yourself and panic when a DI is inches from your face hollering about how ****ty your sleeves are. Granted we probably will anyways. lol.

My advice: stop worrying so much about how you'll be able to run 3 miles quickly and relax. The DIs will surely motivate you enough. Be prepared mentally. And by no means will boot camp be easy! The key is to find that shred of hope and hold fast to it! "Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts!" - Winston Churchill.

Stay motivated, and best of luck!

Um, If I read this correctly you mean that the mental part has to do with knowledge?

a lot of Recruits have issues with being fat and nasty so much so they can't do the IST... if they are concerned with not being able to do it we are here to help....

I think training for the IST is better than going to the pork chop platoon for a month.

but to address your distaste to soooo many Poolees asking the same question... I agree.

do a search, if it doesn't apply directly to what you want to know read through the whole 27 pages of responses... I'm sure we got off topic and brought up your question.... and subsequently answered it already.

I only wish that posting a new thread without searching first could send an electric shock through your computer....

I am actually only concentrating on the physical. I feel more than confident that I will be able to memorize everything that a Marine needs to know at boot camp. I do have both the Marine Knowledge book and Marine Corps common skills handbook that I read through when I'm bored though.

yeah, you'll be fine.... I only knew the rank structure before I left...

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    ...I only wish that posting a new thread without searching first could send an electric shock through your computer....
    Now that's an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    a lot of Recruits have issues with being fat and nasty so much so they can't do the IST... if they are concerned with not being able to do it we are here to help....

I think training for the IST is better than going to the pork chop platoon for a month.
    Right here, I resemble that remark. Can't do a single pull-up, not one. I suck. I'm scheduled to ship 20090720, but if I were to receive my orders tomorrow, I'd end up straight in PCP. I'm putting my Knowledge on hold until I can do 3 pull-ups. Until then, I'm satisfied with just knowing history, rank structure, and general orders.

I'm not asking questions here because there's plenty of knowledge on this site that I can use to add to my current training regimen, as well as links to other useful sites.

You're gonna learn your knowledge there regardless if you study it for months before or not. If you didn't study one bit of knowledge, it's not like you'd be so far behind the power curve. I shipped to boot camp with like 4 guys that had DEPd the day before they shipped so needless to say, they weren't exactly up to par on their knowledge. Just work on the PFT score, the knowledge will come to you.

No, don't waste your time on knowledge. If you show up already in shape, boot camp will be easy for you. Seriously. I hated PFTs in boot camp, and left with a 2nd class. And no I was not in PCP or MRPs of sorts for one day.

so what you are saying is knowledge is for dumbies.

The best way to prepare for boot camp is to relax. Just take boot camp as it comes. If you can do 9-11 pull ups and run 1.5 miles in 10-12 minutes. There really is no more preparation you need to do to get ready. Just try to relax when DIs are screaming in your face. Don't stress over not making mistakes, just be ready to recover from making mistakes. Enjoy your freedoms while you still can because they are about to go away.

You will be taught everything you need to learn after you get there. Also don't listen to the rumors your fellow recruits like to spread.

Thread Information