Working out to get ready...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Working out to get ready...

Hello!

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction for a workout that I might be able to tackle. I'm about 6'0" and 143lbs. I've browsed through MANY of the workouts on this forum, and on many other places online. I'm not exactly in the best shape of my life to say the least. I need a very basic workout that just about anyone should be able to do. One that includes push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? If I missed a thread on this board, I apologize. I probably missed it.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ZLantz18 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction for a workout that I might be able to tackle.

I need a very basic workout that just about anyone should be able to do. One that includes push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups.
    Seems like you already know the answer to this one. You don't really give us an idea about what your problems are? Are you just weak overall? Can you do pullups and crunches? What are you looking to accomplish?

The best thing you can do is to bust your ass day in and day out.

Too late the edit my post I guess... the reason I am asking you guys is because the workouts that I have already found, I am not able to fully complete. Should I just take a previously made workout and dumb it down a bit?

I can no doubt do pullups. I can do about 14 right now(I never workout, this is new to me!). I'm fairly weak other than that though. I can't do very many crunches. About 30 or 40. And my pushups are just crap. About 10. Maybe 15.

When I try doing several sets of each. They drop DRAMATICALLY on the 2nd and 3rd sets. Pullups from say 14 to 6, crunches from 40 to 15 or 20, and pushups from 15 to 5(if that).

What do I need to work on? My endurance?

Sorry if I'm coming off as retarded.

Here is the workout I've been trying to follow:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw34.htm

The first one. I just feel like I'm not able to go to a 2nd or 3rd set and really get anything out of it.

Sorry for the rants, I'm jacked up on caffeine right now. Alot going through my head.

You just have to keep at it...

Every night, or every morning, do this:

Pushups - max
    Rest for a minute or two
    Crunches/Situps - Max in two minutes (keep in mind, the PACE is the most important part, at least to me)
    Rest for a minute or two

Repeat 2-3 times. By doing this, you will drastically increase!

Do the max amount of everything you do. With running, when you think you can't go anymore, dig deep and go longer. With pull-ups, sit-ups, and push-ups, do max reps 3-4 sets (4).

So would you guys say the workout I'm following now will get me ready for boot? I haven't visited a recruiter yet due to the fact that I'd like to be at least SOMEWHAT fit before I do.

Workout: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw34.htm

For the warm-up I do:

20 Side Straddle Hops
    Run 2 minutes in place
    30 secs per leg - Modified Hurdler
    30 secs butterfly stretch
    30 secs Sitting Stretch
    10 four count repetitions - Bend and Reach

Six foot and 143 pounds - they should get you on the double rations workout. Just kidding, better to be slim then the alternative.

I have a good workout for you and the rest of your poo-lee friends - study your Marine Corps knowledge and exercise your mind.

You will do yourself a huge favor by knowing our history, customs, courtesies, and the General Orders. Forward and backwards, and when your done, learn the weapon safety rules like you know how to find your butthole in the dark when you gotta wipe.

Muscle memory.

With your height and weight you should be good to go as far as PT goes. But your brain - are you smarter then a 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by ZLantz18 View Post
    Hello!

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction for a workout that I might be able to tackle. I'm about 6'0" and 143lbs. I've browsed through MANY of the workouts on this forum, and on many other places online. I'm not exactly in the best shape of my life to say the least. I need a very basic workout that just about anyone should be able to do. One that includes push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? If I missed a thread on this board, I apologize. I probably missed it.

Thanks!
    It's really mind over matter, our boot camp will mold you, but another thing how well do you soak up the knowledge of our beloved Corps?

Alright, I'll read up instead then ;] If you guys think I'll be good to go, then I'm good to go.

Anything else you guys can suggest studying?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Six foot and 143 pounds - they should get you on the double rations workout. Just kidding, better to be slim then the alternative.

I have a good workout for you and the rest of your poo-lee friends - study your Marine Corps knowledge and exercise your mind.

You will do yourself a huge favor by knowing our history, customs, courtesies, and the General Orders. Forward and backwards, and when your done, learn the weapon safety rules like you know how to find your butthole in the dark when you gotta wipe.

Muscle memory.

With your height and weight you should be good to go as far as PT goes. But your brain - are you smarter then a 5th grader?

Great Answer!!!!
    Couldn't have said it better myself,
    Semper Fi my Brother,
    Rocky

Structure is a good thing, so is learning "Barney Style". You'll learn that in the Marine Corps.... but until then, google 100pushups and 100situps, they even have a 200 series.

It's a pyramid "scheme" that gets you to 100 in 6 wks. I'm sure you could model the pullups to those workouts.

The knowledge suggestions are right on the money. However, to expand on your initial question:

Weight training may be of benefit to you, provided that you're eating right. Nothing better than heavy squats, deadlifts and training the Olympic lifts if you know the technique and can perform them safely or with a coach.

Barring that (and it's unfortunate if you have to, because there is no substitute for an effective weightlifting program), work on metabolic conditioning.

Two sites that may be of interest

- CrossFit.com (work and family safe, however videos/comments may have profanity)
    - SimpleFit.com (work and family safe)

The former is a program that covers a wide variety of movements, including weightlifting. You will get fit on CrossFit. Period.

SimpleFit is a beginner's program that follows some of the CrossFit principles. Their workouts are very effective metabolic conditioning workouts and can carry you a long way.

Hey pyramid pullups are a great help.. do 1 jump off rest then 2.. jump off rest then 3.. and so on until you get to the highest number you can do then do it backwards... I'm sure you can get to 20 with this.

I would also suggest weight training like the above... www.intense-workout.com has answered all my questions and there's not 6 million things to read like crossfit lol.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by introspect View Post
    www.intense-workout.com has answered all my questions and there's not 6 million things to read like crossfit lol.
    Yes, God forbid you have to read

Thanks for the suggestions guys. But about the pyramid workouts...

Lets say I go from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5, and then I peak. Now, what if I can't get to the 4 I had done before it? Not due to lack of willpower, but because of complete muscle failure. I've tried pyramids, did fine once I got to my max, but going down in numbers was impossible. Do I just stop at the top, and go down in numbers when I build up the strength?

Thread Information