Can't convince him...
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can't convince him...

Hey everybody. First off just want to say thanks to everyone who has served and plans to serve in the future. I am 17(turn 18 in june), and am trying to enlist. My overly protective mother has already agreed and signed all of the paperwork but my dad keeps trying to get me to change my mind. Any ideas on how I can get him to agree? Ive wanted to be a Marine since I was in diapers. I could wait but since I have been preparing for this since I turned 15 I want an earlier ship date. Any ideas would help. Thanks.

Sit him down and say to him man to man, this is what I want to do....now you can either help me and support me.....or I will just do it on my own. Either way this is happening....and you cant stop it.

If that doesnt work...you might just have to wait till your 18 thats not a big deal, just go to MEPS on your 18th birthday enlist and ship as quickly as possible.

Also someone move this to ASK A Marine!

Credits
    Savings
    Tell him you won't be his friend anymore if he doesn't sign...

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    Tell him you won't be his friend anymore if he doesn't sign...
    hahaha.....give ya my snack pack

Quote Originally Posted by mgkusmc View Post
    Sit him down and say to him man to man, this is what I want to do....now you can either help me and support me.....or I will just do it on my own. Either way this is happening....and you cant stop it.

If that doesnt work...you might just have to wait till your 18 thats not a big deal, just go to MEPS on your 18th birthday enlist and ship as quickly as possible.

Also someone move this to ASK A Marine!

Very good advice. Be firm but never be disrespectful. Make sure he understands your feelings about joining the Corps. I'm sure he will come around. Just don't push it. He is your dad.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your mother signed. It only takes one right? Why arent you in dep now? Are you just waiting for Meps?
    As far as shipping earlier, outside of bumping off another Poolee, you can only ask,,,,Oh, yea you ain't in Dep yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Your mother signed. It only takes one right? Why arent you in dep now? Are you just waiting for Meps?
    As far as shipping earlier, outside of bumping off another Poolee, you can only ask,,,,Oh, yea you ain't in Dep yet.
    I somewhat agree with you. Why isn't he in DEP yet? But at the same time, maybe he doesn't want to sign up and cause friction between him and his father. He has the rest of his life to live as a Marine. If he has a good relationship with his father then he needs to ensure it stays that way as long as he is considered a minor. So what if he has to wait till he is 18. It's less than a year. We will see him in our ranks eventually.

It requires both parents to sign up.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

I stand corrected,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Achped View Post
    It requires both parents to sign up.
    It didn't in my day.

Set your Dad down, just you and him, and simply tell him: Pop you raised me to be a Man, to follow my dream, and taught me to think things through. Let me be that Man. I have thought long and hard, and decided I want to be the best, and one of the finest. I love you and I would like your support, but either way I am doing this.

That is what I told my old man. I was 17. He looked me solidly in the eye, and saw my resolve. Sighed and said. OK. The rest is history. SF

Thanks guys...since my parents are divorced and have joint custody my recruiter said that I could get by if she wrote a letter but I didnt want him to completely disown me since my girlfriend is living with him while im in boot. Thanks for the advice ill give it a try again.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Boy, I sure was lucky then. My father tried to pay the recruiter to take me earlier.

Credits
    Savings
    My mother was pretty similar....

Quote Originally Posted by mustangman21 View Post
    but I didnt want him to completely disown me since my girlfriend is living with him while im in boot.
    Uh-oh I bet he'll take real good care of her while your gone.

Credits
    Savings

Talking Snap

Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Martin1 View Post
    Uh-oh I bet he'll take real good care of her while your gone.

Oh sh!t! Sick burn...

Thread Information