Hope for the fat body’s
Create Post

Thumbs up Hope for the fat body’s

Anyone who has doubts about themselves and thinks “I don’t know if I can do it” read this.

I entered the DEP in late November and I ship to MCRD San Diego on 20080208. (2 month 2week DEP) I am 6ft and weighed 219lbs.

My first IST (Nov 24th)
    0 pull-ups ( I mean It hurt to hang from the bar I couldn’t even bend my arms to start pulling myself up)
    20 crunches
    1.5miles in 22mins

Everywhere I looked I saw make sure you can run 3 miles before going to boot, make sure you can pass the final PFT before going, I knew right where I was going if I was sent.. PCP. I then knew that if I kept focusing on that, I would end up in PCP, the only way to avoid it was to stay motivated, don’t focus on negative things. In your mind keep telling yourself you will make it. That may sound lame but it makes a difference. If passing the final PFT was a requirement for starting boot camp that it would be your IST but its not, the progressive system at boot will help get you to where you need to be by the time you take that PFT.

(Although it would be a lot easier to ace the PFT before going)

My second IST (Dec 21st)
    1 Pull-up
    30 crunches
    1.5miles in 16 min

My last IST (Jan 30th)
    4 pull-ups
    60 crunches
    1.5 miles in 13min

I am still 6ft and weigh 198lbs

How I did pull-ups
    Bought a bar. Now like I said it hurt to hang I couldn’t even start to pull myself up, so I started with the flexed army hang (haha get it), I got a chair got myself above the bar and held myself as long as I could, I did this every other day 5 sets a day then at the start of each day I would see how far I came, I got to the point where I could do half of a dead hang pull-up, Then I stopped the flex hang and did half pull-ups. After about 3 weeks from starting with the flex I got my first pull-up (it gets a lot easier after the first one)

Crunches
    CRUNCH-- If you want 100 crunches on your PFT then you have to be able to do 100 right? Just do as many as you can, don’t worry about time just do them until you cant do crunches anymore, then rest the next day then do it again.. (if your back, and gut isn't hurting then you didn't do all you could)

Run and you will get better at running right? No!

When I started I could only jog for about .15 of a mile before stopping, I couldn’t even finish the mile jog with walking.

Interval training is the best here, also do not focus on distance focus on time, first get a stop watch or something that can tell time. Then jog your .25 of a mile at a pace no more than 2 min per .25 mile, this is a 12min 1.5 mile pace.

For the first week every other day run (you body needs time to rest because it isn’t used to running)
    First few weeks you will choke and cough because your getting your lungs in shape, and learning how to breath. Its different for everyone but IN through the nose OUT through the mouth. always DEEP breaths never shallow if your lung hurts from the back that means your breathing too shallow...

Then your legs will hurt when running because they are being built to run now now more playing world of warcraft or halo3 in a chair buddy!.. shin splits suck to.. wrap your shins in a ace bandage (compression seems to help alot) Remember RICE Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation after running if they hurt.

Then your good to go...

First two weeks are the hardest

Week 1(.25 mile)
    Keep the 2minper.25 mile pace for 2 mins straight without stopping then walk for 5 mins then repeat.

Week2(.50) mile
    Keep the pace for 4 mins straight without stopping then walk for 4 mins then repeat.

Week3 (.75 mile)
    Keep the pace for 6 mins straight without stopping then walk for 3 mins then repeat. .

Week4 (1 mile)
    Keep the pace for 8 mins straight without stopping then walk for 3 mins then repeat.

Week5(1mile and 1/8th)
    Keep the pace for 9 mins straight without stopping then walk for 3 mins then repeat.

Week6(1.25 mile)
    Keep the pace for 10 mins straight without stopping then walk for 3 mins then repeat.

Week7 (1.5mile IST)
    Keep the pace for 12 mins straight without stopping then walk for 6mins then repeat.

Week8(2 mile)
    Keep the pace for 14 mins straight without stopping then walk for 8 mins then repeat.

Then add 2 min for time running and2 min for walking after that because its no longer intervals now its mile running.

I hope this helps someone!!!!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Good work. Keep it up

Thats a pretty good routine . There are some things I'll take from it and use

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'll definitely give this a try. I've come from zero pull-ups to about two (would say three, but my negative on the second pull-up wasn't all the way so I'm gonna go by two) and have kind of hit some stagnation in terms of serious development. I feel shedding a few more pounds and improving my run time will help with this as well. I'm currently about 185 and 5'10 - I started out around 200 lbs.

I hardly ever run and when I failed miserably with my first IST (Not the whole thing, I just knew I had to get some idea of my time on an actual track so I went and did the the running myself) I got pretty discouraged about the condition my lungs were in and my overall ability to run. I figured interval training would be the best way to improve this so it's nice to hear it worked pretty well for you.

I'm also shooting to leave in April so this schedule works out pretty well for me and the next two months. Thanks !

Knight,
    Great progress and keep up the work.

I am sure you will attest that the "secret" is in the perserverence and consistancy. Get out there and "get some" daily and it will pay off !

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardLawrence View Post
    Knight,
    Great progress and keep up the work.

I am sure you will attest that the "secret" is in the perserverence and consistancy. Get out there and "get some" daily and it will pay off !

Defiantly Sgt!!!

Thank you for posting the running routine. I've been working on running for a couple months now, and it's the hardest part for me. Right now, I can run 1.5 miles in 25 minutes. I've been pushing myself to run farther (further?), but I think I'll try the interval training for a couple weeks.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight86 View Post
    Defiantly Sgt!!!
    Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Knight86 View Post
    Defiantly Sgt!!!
    Defiantly? You are going to take his advice in a rebellious manner? Is that what you're saying?

Not to mention he's actually a Corporal.

This is why you don’t post things when you first wake up before you eyes fully adjust to the light around them =D

He has been corrected and we spoke in pm.

To any poolee tThanks for the support. I was a Corporal, not a Sgt. Sometimes the stripes appear to be what they are not when you look quick, so beware!

!Carry on!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Very well layed out and good advice.
    25 Mph is olympic sprinter speed. Maybe just stick with 10 Mph which is the pace you need to maintain in order to run 3 miles in 18 minutes

I'm glad that you are motivated and innovative. Stick with it.

Thread Information