Pullups dropping?
Create Post

Question Pullups dropping?

Hey everyone, I've noticed that over the last month or so that I've dropped from being able to do 11 pullups down to only being able to get 3 or 4 now. I've always been rather tall and skinny weighing around 145 since I was a teenager, I have managed to gain about 20 lbs in the last few months putting me upto around 165. I can see losing a few pullups from the added weight, but I don't think that can be the only reason for my numbers dropping this much.

Any idea's on what else could be causing this is appreciated very much. I'm shipping in 28 days now and would realy like to get my pullups at least back upto 10 or 11 before then.

Marine Free Member Matt Brzycki's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's likely due to the extra bodyweight. If I attach an additional 20 pounds to my existing bodyweight and try to do pull-ups, I won't do nearly as many. And in your case, you were only 145 to begin with. So basically, you're doing pull-ups now with nearly 15% more weight.

The second most likely reason is that you're overtraining: The volume of your physical training has exceeded your recovery ability. IOW, you may be doing too much. If this is the case, you need to reduce the volume of physical training. Now's not the time to be overtrained. You'll get plenty of opportunity for that in basic training.

Matt Brzycki
    Sergeant (1975-79)

Quote Originally Posted by gjewell View Post
    Hey everyone, I've noticed that over the last month or so that I've dropped from being able to do 11 pullups down to only being able to get 3 or 4 now. I've always been rather tall and skinny weighing around 145 since I was a teenager, I have managed to gain about 20 lbs in the last few months putting me upto around 165. I can see losing a few pullups from the added weight, but I don't think that can be the only reason for my numbers dropping this much.

Any idea's on what else could be causing this is appreciated very much. I'm shipping in 28 days now and would realy like to get my pullups at least back upto 10 or 11 before then.
    If it's 20 pounds of fat you better believe your pullups are going to drop. Especially since you mentioned you've always been tall and skinny implying to me you probably didn't have much muscle on you to begin with, now add 20 pounds of fat to that and well it's pretty obvious what the problem is.

With only 28 day left I would just suggest to keep working out and do what your doing, you've kind of screwed yourself now. If you work at it I believe you might be able to get around 6-8 before you ship but I wouldn't be so sure about 10-11..you'll pick the missing pullups back up in bootcamp anyway.

Thanks, i'm pretty sure that most of what i've gained is muscle. My arms and chest have gotten a bit bigger, if it is fat im not sure where i'm putting it though lol. I'm sure I'll get em back up there though.

Well are you lifting weights? That's the best way to gain and tell if your gaining muscle. The mirror can be very deceiving, many people who were skinny to begin with and gain fat usually don't realise it until someone says something or clothes quit fitting.

I can almost asure you that it's not all muscle you put on or you wouldn't be having this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gjewell View Post

It's natural for you to breakdown just keep working hard at it and before you know it your numbers should go back up, Good Luck.

I ran across this site: http://hundredpushups.com/

They also have a hundred situps version.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The mirror can be very deceiving, many people who were skinny to begin with and gain fat usually don't realise it until someone says something or clothes quit fitting.
    Really?.......I can it feel when I gain slightly a little more body fat. I feel disgusting and need to do some sort of PT immediately. But I've always been the skinny kid...so maybe I'm different.

But what Sgt Matt Brzycki is true. I hit a plateau with my pull ups one time, but I continued to do them everyday until a pulled a muscle in my back and went a week with out doing any. The next time I got on the bar they went up by 3.

Make sure you are doing them often try not to over train but remember if you don't use it you lose it...

No not lifting any weights just alot of exercising that I can do at home and roofing.
    Actually just found a pullup bar at walmart for like 12$ though so I can do them at home now. Only being able to do them once or twice a week at PT was hurting me alot. Had it 2 days and can already get 5 easy again.

Thread Information