Opinion
Create Post

Thread: Opinion

Opinion

I live about 60 miles north of NYC. At 1345 I noticed what appeared to be civilian jet aircraft at about 7000ft and maybe 1000ft apart flying an identical course due south. This seemed a little odd to see 2 aircraft flying low and slow so I contacted the DHS. Now the f--ked up part. I waited about 20 rings before the call was connected. At that time I explained my observation and the party on the other end said she was connecting me to the Air Marshalls Service. I let the phone ring for over 5 minutes and finally hung up. Should have I called the DHS on this or just blew it off?

Quote Originally Posted by sscjoe View Post
    I live about 60 miles north of NYC. At 1345 I noticed what appeared to be civilian jet aircraft at about 7000ft and maybe 1000ft apart flying an identical course due south. This seemed a little odd to see 2 aircraft flying low and slow so I contacted the DHS. Now the f--ked up part. I waited about 20 rings before the call was connected. At that time I explained my observation and the party on the other end said she was connecting me to the Air Marshalls Service. I let the phone ring for over 5 minutes and finally hung up. Should have I called the DHS on this or just blew it off?
    I can give you the number of a guy I know at DHS if you want to follow up. That account is too suspicious to not call in.

Ramon, fire me off a PM with that info. I am more concerned, at this point, that I got no response.

PM outbound

Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Nothing on the news at this time. Most likely a "near hit" ( "near misses" actually would indicate contact ). So much for lessons learned!!

SFi
    C

If you have a question about aircraft call the FAA, not DHS.
    They have this thing call radar they use to make sure aircraft are where they are supposed to be when in class B airspace like what you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by sscjoe View Post
    Should have I called the DHS on this or just blew it off?
    You did the right thing in calling it in.
    It is better to call in a mistake, then not to and allow something to go wrong.

Good observation Joe. I would definetly follow it up. Even if there wasn't a problem, it's bull**** that they are that difficult to get ahold of. It's lax attitudes like that, that let major mishaps happen.

Where is Sully when you need him!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stRad2671 View Post
    If you have a question about aircraft call the FAA, not DHS.
    They have this thing call radar they use to make sure aircraft are where they are supposed to be when in class B airspace like what you describe.
    I assuming that this was the scenario the case seeing as I got no response from anyone. Also most likely an approach pattern at one of the 4 airports within 70 miles was changed. Thanks for the help 1stRad

Edit

I'm assuming that this was the scenario, seeing as I got no response from anyone. Also most likely an approach pattern at one of the 4 airports within 70 miles was changed. Thanks for the help 1stRad

I don`t think that I would have called it in, from the course they were flying they might have been on their way to DC.

Thread Information