prior service retread - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I miss being an active duty Marine so much. When I get my shoulder surgery out of the way I want to reenlist and go grunt again. By the way. I need a promotion. I was a E-3 by the time I got out. I have been out of uniform for a really long time

Quote Originally Posted by Osotogary View Post
    badass79cj5-
    I wish you all the luck and good fortune your hard work and preparation will garner.
    I'm trying to get into shape myself, although for me it is for medical and personal reasons. Losing twenty pounds would be good. I'd like to do some jogging but, at this stage, hypertension is a concern until the blood pressure comes down and is managable. What I do, instead of jogging, is go on long walks with a backpack with about twenty pounds in it. I know that it is not much but I think the weight helps stir the juices so to speak. The walks usually last one hour, one hour and a half. I guess what I am trying to say is that I applaud your efforts and your methods; thought out and in stages. Keep up the good work. I'm pulling for you.
    thanks brother im gonna need the support, im gonna give it my best shot, if for whatever reason i still cant get back in its not gonna be because im overweight or cant pass a pft thats for sure lol.

me and a buddy used to run with our flak jackets on when i was still in so im positive you are doing yourself good with your backpack. i love hikeing so maybe ill throw that one into my routine as well, i live out in the mojave desert so ive got quite the variety of hills to climb and i got a jeep to take me to them (hense my screen name) maybe ill look into getting one of those vests you fill up with water for hikeing and do that once a day as well as running once a day instead of trying to just run twice a day.

good luck to you too sir, 20lbs is a good goal and you have perfect reasons to motivate you. im a firm believer that any Marine with a good solid mentality can accomplish anything

Quote Originally Posted by hempstead56 View Post
    I miss being an active duty Marine so much. When I get my shoulder surgery out of the way I want to reenlist and go grunt again. By the way. I need a promotion. I was a E-3 by the time I got out. I have been out of uniform for a really long time
    me too man, only part of my uniform i can fit into these days are my shoes.

i got out of the Marines at roughly 175-180lbs and im just over 222lbs now. ive been out for 5 years and a month.

what kind of discharge did you get? im assuming you got out on a medical discharge? as far as getting promoted goes maybe you could login to marine online and see if you have got promoted. my recruiter asked me to do that to see if i got promoted while i was on IRR but i didnt.

I did fours years active 92-96 (Grunt). I came back in to the reserves just over a year ago. I got activated Dec. 1st and here I sit at Camp Pendleton. I'll be in Iraq by the end of April. I'll turn 35 in the sandbox. I experienced a lengthy waiver process but it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by aspinwc View Post
    I did fours years active 92-96 (Grunt). I came back in to the reserves just over a year ago. I got activated Dec. 1st and here I sit at Camp Pendleton. I'll be in Iraq by the end of April. I'll turn 35 in the sandbox. I experienced a lengthy waiver process but it was worth it.
    wow man thats quite motivating, you were out for over 10 years

how was it when you went back? was it hard to adjust or was it like riding a bike and you just fell right back into place?

ya i expect some waivers but i dont forsee me not being able to get back in. the first time i went in to talk to the recruiter there was a Marine there that had just got back in, he was infantry and got out, not sure for how long but went back in as a cobra mechanic, he said it took him 6 months of waivers to get back in all because of visable tattoos, ive got some tattoos but none that are visable with a short sleve shirt on so i hopefully wont have those problems

small update...

on my second run today i got to the half mile point and gave out of breath, i came to a fast walk for about 15 paces and told myself this just isnt gonna cut it so i started back running and made it the rest of the 7 tenths of a mile, i have no doubt by tomorrow afternoons run ill be doing the full lap around the block without stopping at all.

Actually I have my promotion warrant as well as my DD214 says I am a E-3. It's alright though. I have already spoken 2 recruiters who told me when my shoulder heals up I can get back in as a reservist which is what I want. I want to be in the NYPD and be a Marine which I think is pretty bad ass. Like I know the Army takes everyone but I don't think I could see myself in ACU's. It will feel so weird, lol

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    DID YA' SLEEP GOOD?NOW GIT THA' FUC UP @ DO IT AGAIN NO PAIN NO GAIN YOU ARE 1 BLOCK CLOSER 2THA CORPS OOHRAH

Quote Originally Posted by hempstead56 View Post
    Actually I have my promotion warrant as well as my DD214 says I am a E-3. It's alright though. I have already spoken 2 recruiters who told me when my shoulder heals up I can get back in as a reservist which is what I want. I want to be in the NYPD and be a Marine which I think is pretty bad ass. Like I know the Army takes everyone but I don't think I could see myself in ACU's. It will feel so weird, lol
    sorry i must have read the first posting wrong, i thought you were trying to get promoted to e-3 not that you already were a e-3, i guess your avatar rank screwed me up.

i actually thought about trying to go into the army to try and be a helicopter pilot since im still young enough and have excellent vision but like you said it would feel really weird. everytime i started thinking about it all i could think about was "semper fi" and eventually i stopped thinking about it cause in a weird sort of way i would feel like a traitor to my fellow devil dogs not to mention id always feel superior to them and that could possibly get me into trouble if i start runnin my mouth to the guy that is all about some paperwork

i just went to the recruiters to weigh myself, i havnt even lost a half a pound yet. this is gonna be much harder then i was first thinking. also another recruiter that was in the office today told me that just being able to pass a pft doesnt really help my chances of getting back in. he said i gotta be a good performer and be able to stand out inorder for them to let me back in so that being said my whole getting in shape in a month is completely out the window.

im gonna keep after it but realisticly i dont think my 1 month goal is gonna cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by FISTFU68 View Post
    DID YA' SLEEP GOOD?NOW GIT THA' FUC UP @ DO IT AGAIN NO PAIN NO GAIN YOU ARE 1 BLOCK CLOSER 2THA CORPS OOHRAH
    o hell yes i did, i actually fell asleep on the couch about 930 which is about 2 hours earlier then i used to go to sleep.

Wow...interesting how allot of us Devil Dogs left active duty because of certain reasons and now those same reasons we left are some of the same reasons we want to go back to the Corps.

I got off active duty in 96, went to college and went into the reserves and thought everything would be gravy in the 1st Civ Div but its not....its nothing like being an active duty MARINE. I have a good job, actually 2 good jobs and I am also thinking about going back on active duty. I contacted the recruiter and he basically gave me some info but said it would probably take about 2 to 3 months (everything being all good and no issues) to ge back on active duty. I think to all of us, its not totally about the money but the camaraderie, love of the Corps, the heart and desire we put forth to earn the EGA from boot camp and just being a MARINE. Retirement also looks good right now in this day and time but nothing like being an active duty MARINE.

Badass....if u want it again like you say you do, you'll get it. Just remember what it is you want and why you want it! I will be doing the same.

SEMPER FI..

If you want to become a 22 crewchief then you'll first go to pensacola FL for aircrew canidate school thats about six weeks if you make it through the first time. they like to recycle there. Its a PT school, you'll run everyday, and swim every afternoon. in addition to USMC swim quals you need the navy swim 1st class. after you graduate Pensacola you'll go to MCAS new river for your mech school, skids go to CA, 22s and 53s go to new river. you'll go through the mechanic school for the 22 im not sure how long it is. After mech school you will go to VMT-204 for the crewchief instructor division (CCID) to learn your crewchief duties there you will learn to fly and work on the aircraft. it all added up to about 7-8 months of schooling for me but im a 53 guy im not sure what they do for 22s.

Everyone goes through Pensacola thats what has potential to take the longest because they will down you for a cold, literally. and they can waive SERE school it depends on if there are slots avalible

Quote Originally Posted by JMoe View Post
    Wow...interesting how allot of us Devil Dogs left active duty because of certain reasons and now those same reasons we left are some of the same reasons we want to go back to the Corps.

I got off active duty in 96, went to college and went into the reserves and thought everything would be gravy in the 1st Civ Div but its not....its nothing like being an active duty MARINE. I have a good job, actually 2 good jobs and I am also thinking about going back on active duty. I contacted the recruiter and he basically gave me some info but said it would probably take about 2 to 3 months (everything being all good and no issues) to ge back on active duty. I think to all of us, its not totally about the money but the camaraderie, love of the Corps, the heart and desire we put forth to earn the EGA from boot camp and just being a MARINE. Retirement also looks good right now in this day and time but nothing like being an active duty MARINE.

Badass....if u want it again like you say you do, you'll get it. Just remember what it is you want and why you want it! I will be doing the same.

SEMPER FI..
    are you going to try and go back the same mos you left with? the reason i ask is i dont really want to go back the same mos i left with but then again i dont really like the idea of leaving it up to a top 5 wish list either.

id say the main reason i got out was thinking there was gonna be big dollar signs in the civilian world that would provide everything i would need but was i ever wrong. here i am married almost 2 years with my current wife and combined we have 6 kids and the only thing i ever really think about that would be a "cure all" is to go back in the Marines. what i miss the most is definately the camaraderie, there isnt anyone in the world i trust more then Marines, it will provide me with a job that i cant get laid off from with steady income and full benefits for my platoon plus ill start back into my retirement. 99% of the time i wish i wouldnt have ever got out but then again who knows where i would be right now if i wouldnt have. i feel like im 100% more mature then i was when i was first enlisted and im twice as smart. just never realized how good i had it then but i do realize it now.

Quote Originally Posted by bigirongunner View Post
    If you want to become a 22 crewchief then you'll first go to pensacola FL for aircrew canidate school thats about six weeks if you make it through the first time. they like to recycle there. Its a PT school, you'll run everyday, and swim every afternoon. in addition to USMC swim quals you need the navy swim 1st class. after you graduate Pensacola you'll go to MCAS new river for your mech school, skids go to CA, 22s and 53s go to new river. you'll go through the mechanic school for the 22 im not sure how long it is. After mech school you will go to VMT-204 for the crewchief instructor division (CCID) to learn your crewchief duties there you will learn to fly and work on the aircraft. it all added up to about 7-8 months of schooling for me but im a 53 guy im not sure what they do for 22s.

Everyone goes through Pensacola thats what has potential to take the longest because they will down you for a cold, literally. and they can waive SERE school it depends on if there are slots avalible
    so i dont have to do a swim qual before getting selected for air crew? i would go through p-cola and would have to pass before leaving?

what exactly does the aircrew canadiate school consist of?

I miss the Corps too alot. I have been having a hard time battling back and forth with wether I should go back in or not as well. I got out and now regret it as well. My big thing is I suffer from alot of things obtained while I was active and I don't know how those things will react if I go back. I do get disability through the VA but man to be back with that commraderi would be awesome... Its a tough call.

Thread Information