New Mom - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mom

The short timer, Semper FI.

Smile New Mom

7:48 pm I got my call from my son, hung up and starting balling. I guess now it's time to start looking forward to his letters, family day and most definitley, "Graduation"

gald you got the call.. but remeber when family day comes he wont act the same as you remeber him for he is almost a Marine and he will be better and so proud of you for your support. God speed to you keep us informed as to how he is doing

Someone might have already posted this link, but I'll post it again.
    I hope these will help:
    Training Matrix. A visual of what he's doing.
    A basic breakdown of what he's doing.

A few tips:
    -Mail Call is Christmas to Recruits. Send him plenty of letters. It was a big morale booster for me.
    -Try to answer calls from unknown numbers. Recruits get VERY few phone calls home, and don't get to try again another day if nobody answers.
    -DO NOT SEND FOOD. Drill instructors LOVE to mess with people who get food in the mail.
    -Talk with other Marine parents. It'll help settle your fears and anxieties.

My mom was distraught when I went to boot camp, and these all helped her.
    Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions!

-PFC Flynn

Marine Family Free Member ScottsMom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by HatfieldsMom View Post
    I guess I need support! I haven't quit crying, I've been sick. I guess maybe him being my first born and my only son. I hope this gets easier.

It WILL get easier! Hang in there.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Now you will start stalking the mailman,looking for letters

Hey the Mailman might like that...

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by HatfieldsMom View Post
    My son just left today for Paris Island. I feel so clueless. HELP!
    Rhonda,

I know exactly how you feel. I am two weeks ahead of you in this process, as my two sons shipped to San Diego on 1/12. I never did receive a phone call from either of them, as I related in my thread "Can you hear me now?" on this site.

Here are the steps I have taken:

I decided to educate myself to ensure that the future with my Marine sons will be founded on solid, common ground. Reading about the history and philosophy of our USMC was the first step.

It's so much more than just learning the acronyms. I want to know what my sons are doing so that as they move forward, I can engage with them actively--and participate in the dialogue of their experience.

Learning about the training process was second--I can check the Calendar and know what they're doing today.

Now, I'll pause here and tell you that I've broken down at my desk, in the car and in the frozen food aisle of the grocery store.

Tears are part of the "tearing" away.

But we must let them go. That is our crucible. And as hard as it is, I remember telling my children that nothing that matters comes easily...

Conversing daily with the Marines and Marine families on this site has been utterly enriching.

Next, I realized that as soon as I received the address in that first letter, I would activate my letter-writing campaign. So, I spent those two weeks of silence collecting humorous cards, cartoons, short stories, song lyrics, sudokus, optical illusions, newspaper and magazine articles, military accounts and stories from this site and other sources to encourage, to inspire--and to get their minds out of their heads for a few minutes before the DIs bark them back to Recruit Reality...

There's a good thread on this site that talks about what graduation gift is most significant, and most folks recommended a Ka-bar, so I logged some time online, checking that out--as well as searching for a bumper sticker...

And I talked a lot to our extended family members to start coordinating our travel plans for graduation in April...

This weekend I bought a new printer and paper and stamps and address labels...

And then I received the first letter!

When it arrives, Rhonda, you will immediately transcend to another level. And as I put the stamps on the cards I sent out this morning, I realized that this is my new role.

Support from a distance.

Anything more, and it hampers my sons' passage towards becoming men...

Make a space for the tears, Rhonda--and then go out and get a bunch of great cards, envelopes and stamps.

C.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You rock Semper Mom

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    You rock Semper Mom
    Let me put it this way -- My eyes are wide open now.

Morpheus: You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. (a red pill is shown in his other hand) You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. (Long pause; Neo begins to reach for the red pill) Remember -- all I am offering is the truth, nothing more.
    (Neo takes the red pill and swallows it with a glass of water)

Marine Family Free Member ScottsMom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sempermom66 View Post
    Rhonda,

I know exactly how you feel. I am two weeks ahead of you in this process, as my two sons shipped to San Diego on 1/12. I never did receive a phone call from either of them, as I related in my thread "Can you hear me now?" on this site.

Here are the steps I have taken:

I decided to educate myself to ensure that the future with my Marine sons will be founded on solid, common ground. Reading about the history and philosophy of our USMC was the first step.

It's so much more than just learning the acronyms. I want to know what my sons are doing so that as they move forward, I can engage with them actively--and participate in the dialogue of their experience.

Learning about the training process was second--I can check the Calendar and know what they're doing today.

Now, I'll pause here and tell you that I've broken down at my desk, in the car and in the frozen food aisle of the grocery store.

Tears are part of the "tearing" away.

But we must let them go. That is our crucible. And as hard as it is, I remember telling my children that nothing that matters comes easily...

Conversing daily with the Marines and Marine families on this site has been utterly enriching.

Next, I realized that as soon as I received the address in that first letter, I would activate my letter-writing campaign. So, I spent those two weeks of silence collecting humorous cards, cartoons, short stories, song lyrics, sudokus, optical illusions, newspaper and magazine articles, military accounts and stories from this site and other sources to encourage, to inspire--and to get their minds out of their heads for a few minutes before the DIs bark them back to Recruit Reality...

There's a good thread on this site that talks about what graduation gift is most significant, and most folks recommended a Ka-bar, so I logged some time online, checking that out--as well as searching for a bumper sticker...

And I talked a lot to our extended family members to start coordinating our travel plans for graduation in April...

This weekend I bought a new printer and paper and stamps and address labels...

And then I received the first letter!

When it arrives, Rhonda, you will immediately transcend to another level. And as I put the stamps on the cards I sent out this morning, I realized that this is my new role.

Support from a distance.

Anything more, and it hampers my sons' passage towards becoming men...

Make a space for the tears, Rhonda--and then go out and get a bunch of great cards, envelopes and stamps.

C.

'

Sempermom66, I could not have said it any better than that!!

Thanks for the support! My son showed me this sight before he left. It really helps hearing and talking to other people who know what I am going through. I'm looking so forward to my first letter!

Credits
    Savings
    It does get easier, I spent a lot of time crying too. As for stalking the mailman, I am one and I get so excited when I see a letter from Boot Camp. If you need to talk i am here, it helps just to have people that understand what you are going thru.

Credits
    Savings
    Hatsfield's Mom: Hang in there. All of the good advice you've received so far is great stuff. If you want to feel so not alone, go backwards in the parents forum 13 weeks and read the messages from "gofigyer".

I just got home from the Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego yesterday - where I watched as my 'baby' Private Richard Todd Patrick McGinnis graduated from Lima Company, Platoon 3249 one of our newest United States Marines. Thought the time would never go by and then, it was time to get on that plane. OHMIGAWD. What seeing your Marine after 13 weeks does to your heart, especially when you don't think you'll know him among 484 others. And then, you spot him in his 'booty shorts' on his MOTO run and you know that you could never forget!

Write, write and write more. Clip newspaper articles. And try not to pee your pants when that first letter comes in the mail. Then the 2nd. Then before you know it, you will be seeing him in his khakis and blues. What a sight to behold. Hang in there Mom - I'm still reeling from the whole experience. Hell, now I want to sign up...tee hee. And keep talking here. It will help you keep your sanity.

Go Steelers

It takes alot to become the best of the best, A United States Marine, the pride lasts forever and is well worth the pain, Semper FI.

Thread Information