Thank you
Create Post

Thread: Thank you

Thank you

Real quick I am 24yo, married for 6 month, and a second year Law Enforcement student. I would have graduated this spring and been looking for a job in the MN LE market. I felt a real pull to join the Marines for a very long time and I decided I had put it off long enough.

My wife and I talked it over for a couple months and at the same time I was keeping in contact with my local recruiter. Once we made the decision that I was going to join things moved really fast. We filled out and signed a lot of paper work last week and I am going to MEPS this weekend. As long as everything checks out physically, I have no worries, I will be shipping out February 9th.

I signed up as a friend because I haven't signed a contract yet but I will only have one week after I do to post before I ship out. I just wanted to sign up and say thank you to all the Marines that have compiled such a massive library of information. This forum is by far the most well maintained and informational forum I have found online. All my questions, and more, have been answered just by exploring the forums. Personally I believe recruiters should be advising anyone interested in the Marines to be on this site and reading up. Thanks again and I look forward to joining the ranks of the U.S.M.C.

Sincerely,
    Jon Friesner

Credits
    Savings
    Good luck.

I just wanted to let everyone know I cleared MEPS with no problems. I will be swearing in February 2nd and shipping to MCRD Sandiego February 9th. Looking forward to boot camp and the challenges it will bring. Thanks again for such a great website.

Good luck.

Did you consider graduating first? Im sure this being a life changing event you already have. Only thing is. Graduating might open some doors for you in your Marine Corps Carreer. ON the other hand, if your not looking to become a lifer, you could have something to fall back on when you get out.

Yes my wife and I considered that a lot. In the end we just decided that the sooner I get into the Marines the better. Plus I can get the rest of my education paid for, or at least get assistance. Which would enable me to get my bachelor degree instead of associates. I could have easily just finished and then joined but honestly I am just really excited about the becoming a Marine. The challenge and pride and everything that comes with it are all things I enjoy.

Honestly If I were you, I would finish school first. I know your all excited about the Marine Corps and all that but the Corps is not going anywhere. My advice would be to finish school. Become a Police officer full time and be a Marine in Reserve. You get good benefits and you get to serve your community as well as your country. You already have 2 years of school under your belt. Thats more then 95% of the guys I went to Boot Camp with had.

Trust me I seriously considered doing exactly what you are saying. My reasoning for joining now is very complicated. I am joining on reserve status. I will be shipping in two weeks and be back in Sep. then I will go back to school and finish my degree and get licensed. At the same time my wife will be finishing her MAMFT, masters in marriage and family therapy. Then in the spring of 2010 I will either augment into active duty for the remainder of my contract, or I will be moving from MN to CO and attending their tropper academy. This is why I am doing Marines first then finishing my degree, plus I will get some assistance after doing Marines. Doing it this way just works out time wise for my wife and I. Plus we don't have kids right now so the sooner I go and get all my training done the better. I know it is complex but it is the best decision for my wife and I right now. Plus it isn't as easy as just getting a job in MN when it comes to LE. Our market is very competitive which is why I am wanting to add MArine on my resume before I go looking.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm getting old..............................I can't even plan for TOMORROW and all you kids are planning out the next 10 years and $h!t.

It is a different world these days. Especially with the economy a family does have to plan ahead. We don't really have the next 10 years planned but the next 18months for sure. Not that things can't change or unexpected things happen but it never hurts to have a plan. As the boy scout moto goes, Always be prepared!

@ least your playing it smart by going the reserve route and finishing school. Thats what I am going to do when I reenlist.

Good luck!!!!

Thread Information