Degree as a grunt
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Degree as a grunt

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ghlight=degree

I searched and that was the only relavent thread to my question. I plan on enlisting as 0321 or 0311 and was wondering if you could work on a degree with an MOS like that. My thoughts would be that you cant get internet while patrolling and such. Would you have more time to work on it while your not deployed? Thank you

Credits
    Savings
    You'll get a degree in leadership, discipline, ass kicking, hole digging, bar fighting, cleaning weapons, field daying, **** talking, and wooing women. What else could you need?

Seriously though, about the only time you will be able to take classes is on float. With operations ongoing, that will not be an option either. Enlisted Marines have very little time to go to school. Do what you can, when you can, and just enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JTB7 View Post

I searched and that was the only relavent thread to my question. I plan on enlisting as 0321 or 0311 and was wondering if you could work on a degree with an MOS like that. My thoughts would be that you cant get internet while patrolling and such. Would you have more time to work on it while your not deployed? Thank you

So does everyone else and their mother....

Quote Originally Posted by JTB7 View Post

You will not have time to take college classes until, maybe, you are near then end of your enlistment.

All the schools, MCI's, Boot Camp, etc. you attend can count for college credit. Depending on what school you go to.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Marines. I still want to be a grunt, but would being a helicopter mechanic/crew chief be easier to get free time to work on my degree? I heard they have a 9-5 type of schedule.

Also, how long are Marines in the service usually before they get accepted into MECEP or BOOST? I would like to serve as an officer later.

I was t.a.d. and worked a lot with legal clerks. They pretty muched worked 9-5 with no deployments or field time. Almost all of them in the shop took advantage and went to night classes after work. On slow days they would study and do homework. MECEP is offerd towards the end of your contract. You request it as a term of re enlistment. It is very hard to get into. I believe you have to be an nco, pass a few oral boards, and have no njp's.

Thread Information