What would you all reccomend? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    I would go enlisted first, there is a Gunny on board who went on to be a 2nd. Lt. the good thing about being enlisted you could be a DI someday or Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps just my 2 cents.
    SGT. you have have unleashed dreams of grandeur in my grape ! Thanks sir !

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Officer Man

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by KCKpower View Post
    Officer Man

Where in all your infinite wisdom did you somehow come up with that brilliant little nugget? Based on what?

Lol... go enlisted, I've been told by numerous amounts of people (read Marines) that boot officers don't get much in the way of respect from enlisted guys, unless you're really squared away and good to go. If you go enlisted you always have the chance of going Warrant Officer or getting a commission if you want to make a career out of the Marines.

lets get one thing strate if you get enlisted as an officer you have more responsobilaty for the enlisted not officer's. as an officer you lookout for there well being and such. as an enlisted you look out for all you serve with no matter what rank they are.so think about it and tell your self what do i want to do,be in charge and make a differents or take charge and make a differents. it's all up to you . the only thing is O.C.S. or Basic traning as a marine ... Semper Fi Marine too be

Thansk everyone for the advise. For now Im sticking with my original decision as an enlistee if later on in the future I decide to go for officer, then it will be in the future. again thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Books View Post
    Read One Bullet Away by Nathaniel Fick (ret. Marine Officer) and see if you could handle the kinds of responsibilities and decisions he makes in combat. It's his memoirs on being a Marine Officer, from graduating Dartmouth, doing OCS, going to schools, and hitting the fleet, and eventually Iraq and Afghanistan.
    LOL Books. Capt Fick was certainly a Marine's Marine and his memoir is a wonderful read (and he's been immortalized thanks to Generation Kill, both the book and miniseries), but I assure you he didn't "retire" from the Marine Corps...

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate138 View Post
    Lol... go enlisted, I've been told by numerous amounts of people (read Marines) that boot officers don't get much in the way of respect from enlisted guys, unless you're really squared away and good to go. If you go enlisted you always have the chance of going Warrant Officer or getting a commission if you want to make a career out of the Marines.
    And what, boot Pvts and PFC's are given a tremendous amount of respect from the get-go? Marines scrutinize the hell out of a new Marine regardless of rank. But as an officer, if you don't earn your Marine's respect, lives could be at stake. That's what anyone thinking of becoming an officer should worry about. Not "Will they respect me?" But rather "Can I EARN their respect?"

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
    And what, bootPvts and PFC's are given a tremendous amount of respect from the get-go? Marines scrutinize the hell out of a new Marine regardless of rank. But as an officer, if you don't earn your Marine's respect, lives could be at stake. That's what anyone thinking of becoming an officer should worry about. Not "Will they respect me?" But rather "Can I EARN their respect?"
    whoa...whoa..WHOA. Don't go throwing the "B" word around here, chief. You might hurt someone's feelings!

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    whoa...whoa..WHOA. Don't go throwing the "B" word around here, chief. You might hurt someone's feelings!

Well, I could show them where the straws are.....

Exactly the reason that we had to adapt...boot is no longer acceptable apperently, so we had to switch to J.E.W. (Junior Enlisted Warrior). It works out quite nice haha.

I frequently ask myself why I didn't go to college to get my commission. I would rather be a leader than a pawn in this political game of chess. Granted I probably would still be a pawn just much higher up on the totem pole. You start out immediately above all enlisted and warrant officers. Many people hate officers but someone has to make decisions, I would rather take that responsibility than have decisions made for me. As for not getting respect. Well respect is earned, but those boot officers still outrank all enlisted and don't have to put up with a lot of bull**** if they don't want too. If you enlist you are going to get very little respect anyway.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by gonnabeinnbc View Post
    I frequently ask myself why I didn't go to college to get my commission. I would rather be a leader than a pawn in this political game of chess. Granted I probably would still be a pawn just much higher up on the totem pole. You start out immediately above all enlisted and warrant officers. Many people hate officers but someone has to make decisions, I would rather take that responsibility than have decisions made for me. As for not getting respect. Well respect is earned, but those boot officers still outrank all enlisted and don't have to put up with a lot of bull**** if they don't want too. If you enlist you are going to get very little respect anyway.

that is probably the lamest outlook on the Corps I have seen in a while. How much "respect" did you expect with a year in the Corps? It must be earned. Hell, every leader worth his salt knows how to take the perspective of his Marines into account. In short, respect must be earned, and you will get as much as you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Covey_Rider View Post
    Exactly the reason that we had to adapt...boot is no longer acceptable apperently, so we had to switch to J.E.W. (Junior Enlisted Warrior). It works out quite nice haha.
    Are you serious? Man, I need to get back in the game, I only been out a year and some change and boot....I mean...J.E.W.'s have sucsessully lobbied for more rights? wow....

Thread Information