ammo cannon lifts
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question ammo cannon lifts

Tonight I just got out of PT and I'm so proud of myself. 17 reps on the ammo cannon, when last time it was 1. I'm two away from the minimum.

Any tips for getting up to at least 25 reps without killing my arms? I'm gaining muscle, but, the ammo can still kills me.

Oh, and good news, I'll hopefully be taking the oath at the end of this year if all goes well.

Thank you-

Mirco

From a semi-squatting position, hold the can stationary as you explode upwards. Right before you are as upright as you comfortably can be while doing the lifts, that is when you want to, in a fluid explosive manner, push the can up.

On another note...seeing as how the bottom flat edge of the can must clear your chin in the down/rest position, much like a pullup toss your head back (gently, no need for neck strain) -- this will bring the point of your chin a bit higher in the air.

I'm by no means a large muscular guy, definently not the strongest, to boot. However, out of the 70 Marines I did the CFT with, I was the only one to clear 95. Good technique will go a long way versus just muscling it. Keep up the good work!

Sidenote: yes, I'm sure there are plenty of Marines out there who have gotten more, but that's not too shabby for my first time, being a skinny little 160 lb'er.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you! I'll try that next time. Is it easier to pratice with, say, a 25lb weight? Or should I go full monty and rig a 30lb? I want to pratice outside of PT.

-Mirco-

Just keep practicing, practice makes perfect. By the time you grad boot, you will be able to do at least the minimum.

Any Marines out there who can tell me what the CFT is like? I am currently on MSG duty, so I have been away from the fleet for a while, haven't done the CFT yet. I've done a basic walk-though so I know what it consists of. I am just curious how well the Marines perform. It sounds harder than the PFT, I'm wondering what the Marines think of it and how it will affect retention rates.

Credits
    Savings
    Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. My work schedlue is really lame (my boss hates that I'm going to be a Marine) and so they work me evenings, in which I usually get off at 10, and then have me open (which consists of getting up at 4:30am) the next day. I get pretty wore out. No excuse, I know (my dad gives me crap as it is). They have allowed me off for PT every Wensday though. Thank goodness.

Off topic, but any good idea for gaining weight? I'm 2lbs short of the min. weight.

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    Just keep practicing, practice makes perfect. By the time you grad boot, you will be able to do at least the minimum.

Any Marines out there who can tell me what the CFT is like? I am currently on MSG duty, so I have been away from the fleet for a while, haven't done the CFT yet. I've done a basic walk-though so I know what it consists of. I am just curious how well the Marines perform. It sounds harder than the PFT, I'm wondering what the Marines think of it and how it will affect retention rates.
    I know im not a Marine, but when i went to a mini boot camp this fall all the recruiters went to do a CFT. Many of them were scoring around 2:30 if i remeber correctly. We did one for a Poolee function and man, it looks like it woudl be the easiest thing in the world but it just kills you... lol

On subject i would suggest doing 20 pound lifts doing more with a ligher weight will help you build the stamana for it and that will help you. I was doing it wit hthe full 30 pounds and was seeing smaller results then i wanted so i went and started using 20 pounds and now i use 25 and trust me.. youll get up alot faster.

Credits
    Savings

I've seen Marines(1/5 and maybe 2/4?) practicing and they look really dumb...for whatever that's worth...?

wtf's an ammo cannon anyway?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    I've seen Marines(1/5 and maybe 2/4?) practicing and they look really dumb...for whatever that's worth...?

wtf's an ammo cannon anyway?

an ammo can (or cannon as some poolees call it at my PT) is just.. a metal box that is usually filled with ammo. It weighs 30lbs.

correct me if I'm wrong please~

Ammo cannon is an improper pronounciation of the word Ammo Can. It is an empty metal box primarily used for carring rounds and occasionally other gear. For the CFT, they put sand or rocks inside to make it weight 30 lbs to recreate the effect of lifting an ammo can full of rounds.

Credits
    Savings
    Ammo cannon is an improper pronounciation of the word Ammo Can. It is an empty metal box primarily used for carring rounds and occasionally other gear. For the CFT, they put sand or rocks inside to make it weight 30 lbs to recreate the effect of lifting an ammo can full of rounds.
    Thank you for the correction, as well as the new information.

Quote Originally Posted by micro View Post
    Thank you for the correction, as well as the new information.
    No problemo, any time.

Credits
    Savings

hell, no need to explain what an ammo CAN is.. i was just trying to figure out CANNON but I got it now... roger, wilco. solid copy. will refer to it as a cannon now.. Hell that's like asking what does "nyukeelur" mean and gettin a lesson on splittin atoms!

hell, no need to explain what an ammo CAN is.. i was just trying to figure out CANNON but I got it now... roger, wilco. solid copy. will refer to it as a cannon now.. Hell that's like asking what does "nyukeelur" mean and gettin a lesson on splittin atoms!
    Commdog copies all, OUT!

Credits
    Savings
    how 'bout one of those lil ol' see-gars y'all got down yonder....? [commdog]

how 'bout one of those lil ol' see-gars y'all got down yonder....? [commdog]
    Sincgars? I think they are phasing those out, guess I better get back to the fleet before my knowledge is outdated.

Thread Information