Aircraft Maintenace and getting desired MOS?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Aircraft Maintenace and getting desired MOS?

I was supposed to go to MEPS today but was a little underweight so I have to gain some weight before I can go, but that's not what the post is about. I'm currently under open contract and I really want an MOS in the Aircraft Maintenance field, especially something like Aircraft Mechanic. Well I had to go up to the recruiter office today before my recruiter took me to MEPS. The office is where they weighed me and determined I couldn't go today. My recruiter stepped out for a minute and while he was gone one of the other recruiters told me that most guys with open contracts get assigned cook or infantry so I asked my recruiter about it and he said that as long as I qualify for the job I want I will get it and that I won't go to boot open contract and that I will have a job in writing that I agree with. Is this true or did he just say that so I wouldn't drop out? Also, they said that there was an opening in that MOS when I go to boot. So what are my actual chances of getting the MOS i want provided I qualify for it?

Quote Originally Posted by aj9393 View Post
    I was supposed to go to MEPS today but was a little underweight so I have to gain some weight before I can go, but that's not what the post is about. I'm currently under open contract and I really want an MOS in the Aircraft Maintenance field, especially something like Aircraft Mechanic. Well I had to go up to the recruiter office today before my recruiter took me to MEPS. The office is where they weighed me and determined I couldn't go today. My recruiter stepped out for a minute and while he was gone one of the other recruiters told me that most guys with open contracts get assigned cook or infantry so I asked my recruiter about it and he said that as long as I qualify for the job I want I will get it and that I won't go to boot open contract and that I will have a job in writing that I agree with. Is this true or did he just say that so I wouldn't drop out? Also, they said that there was an opening in that MOS when I go to boot. So what are my actual chances of getting the MOS i want provided I qualify for it?
    Your enlistment is a contract. If your contract states "Open Contract," you have NO guarantees for any particular MOS. The MOS you end up with will be based on the needs of the Marine Corps near the time you graduate boot camp.

If you want aircraft mechanic or any other MOS, you have to specifically enlist for that MOS. For instance, if you have guaranteed infantry, you go in under 03xx. The xx will be determined later by the Corps. If you enlist in administration, that is 01xx.

BTW, I didn't check your profile before answering. My bad.

You didn't fill out your profile before posting. You bad.

Read site rules: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=103170

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Oh sorry, I knew the rule I just forgot to do it. Sorry again.

Thread Information