Need some advice
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some advice

I've got about 160 days till I ship, I've been doing well on my IST's eversince I did my first one in July. I'm currently at 8 Pull-ups, 72 crunches, and 1 1/2 mile in about 10:45 or so. But I want to be able to hit 20 pull-ups, 100+ crunches and get my 1 1/2 mile down to about 9 mins because I want to volunteer for Force Recon. I'm highly motivated, will do anything and use all advice given to me. If anyone has any advice at all please post it up.

Work out, run more, do more crunches... thats all you can do besides use the search tool on this site.

Thumbs down Another One

K first use the search tool and you will see there are a bunch of threads regarding this already. Two you won't be voluntolding shi$ with Force Recon with that IST, you have to pass a PFT to even get there. A PFT consists of 100 Crunches, Pullups, and a 3 mile run.

I would definitely focus on that 3 mile run. Cause that 1.5 mile run isn't going to be what will get you into Recon.

Oh, maybe you ought to just focus on getting through boot camp first though.

Just a fellow poolee's 2 cents

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    can i suggest as a poolee myself i train every day as required in the welcome aboard package but what helps me the most is getting up early to start PT and try to invest in a gold gym pull up bar that hooks up to your door frame to help with the pull ups there about $20 at Wal-Mart and they will improve you alot i got less then 90 days left before ship and i feel that it has helped me alot

you need to do alot more workin out dude. that ist wont get you recon. i run twice a day bout 3 miles each run. i do bout 8 sets of pull ups and crunches every morning and every night. i have been improving my ist by the week.
    i have been doing this for about 3 months now and i am now at:
    3 mile in about 19:26
    17 pull ups
    112 crunches

I took everyones advice and I've now gotten to 10 pullups and 97 crunches and 1 1/2 mile is at a set 10:50, I've noticed a big difference just since this last Saturday. Thanks for everyone's help.

Credits
    Savings
    you could try wishin' on a ****!n star, bro.... don't sweat it and wish on a milllion ****!ng stars, bro! otherwise, just work hard and do your best!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Need some advice
    Don't eat yellow snow!

FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE AND READ THE RULES AND STICKIES IN THE POOLEE FORUM!

you could try wishin' on a ****!n star, bro.... don't sweat it and wish on a milllion ****!ng stars, bro!
    You could also wish in one hand and shiat in the other...and if you rub them together you still have a pile of shiat!

Although that would be a whole lot messier....so I would stick to reading the PT posts and working out for stamina and endurance!Including your fingers filling out your profile!

Sorry about that Phantom Blooper, I'll get on that ASAP.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Good job!

So why aren't push ups part of the IST? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't push ups a daily occurrence in recruit training? Just wondered...

Because the Marine Corps doesn't focus on pushups, as having 'massive arms' doesn't really help you as a 'basically trained rifleman'. Crunches, dead arm hangs, and the 3 mile run all build endurance rather than brute physical strength. Endurance is what gets you through a 10 mile hump with 125 lbs on your back, rifle in your hand, and kevlar on your grape. Big arms....don't.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Because the Marine Corps doesn't focus on pushups, as having 'massive arms' doesn't really help you as a 'basically trained rifleman'. Crunches, dead arm hangs, and the 3 mile run all build endurance rather than brute physical strength. Endurance is what gets you through a 10 mile hump with 125 lbs on your back, rifle in your hand, and kevlar on your grape. Big arms....don't.
    Bingo
    Your arms will get big from pull-ups but the emphasis in on stamina. Pushups help increase your pull-ups but they are not the same thing.

You Want...Reacon??? Get to Cpl or E-4 First then pass the entry tests...oh first get through Boot then serve 4 then Apply http://www.marsoc.usmc.mil/news/news-070719.html just my 2 cents worth

Thread Information