My rant about the state of North Carolina - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    Okay I'm going to get all Zen on you. Don't look for Miami in North Carolina, it's not there.
    Thank God for that , at lest they speak English in NC , hell in Miami you can't communicate with no - one if its not Spanish it hip hop or some friggin talk from some god forsaking third world island , and the nose snow and gang bangers are so thick you have to use road plows to get around when I came out of Miami , I brought the Stars and Strips with me , up here to the Space Coast

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0331 View Post
    Not trying to be an azz but maybe if the Marine Corps trained Killers instead if boyscouts we wouldnt have so much ptsd

we are sending alot of mentally weak marines into combat. Anyone can graduate from our revised bootcamp now and there is NO emphasis on becoming a killer. There is no more of the "if you join the marines you are training to become a war machine, a killer in combat, a warrior-not at all anymore, that mentality is gone, shoot you cant even use the word "kill" at basic anymore.

Now its "hey look, im sure glad we can bring our laptops and cell phones to SOI to check our myspace and facebook" what the F$$$ is that? Im not an old fart lol and when I went to soi 9 years ago it was 8 weeks of being in the field learning weapons, patrolling, mach combat ops etc. We got 2 weekends of libo towards the end and that was it. There was no cell phones or laptops allowed. You couldnt even bring a pair of headphones and a cd player.

It was made very clear to us that we were at soi for one reason. To train our minds and body to survive in combat, to not get ourselves or other marines killed and to complete the targeted objective, period. Not to worry about checking my friends request on myspace or calling "suzy rotten crotch back home"

Its all about the training, sure some ppl will be mentally weak after combat and suffer from whatever you want to call it, but if you train the marine, make him a disciplined warrior he will survive combat and thrive as a leader back home after his time in country and be successful.

Maybe some may think Im off the mark but its probably only the New generation of Marines

I was raised around nam vets, korean war vets, my free time was spent in the young marines program sharpening my skills and helping out at the local post's and legion halls. Ive talked to those Marines who were in country during nam and talked with them about the carnage and fear they endured during the fighting. Talking to them about being on a patrol either in platoon or squad depth and being one of the 2 or 3 that made it out alive after an ambush, and guess what? They have no hard feelings, mental dissorders nothing. They thank god for their "TRAINING" that kept them squared away both in combat and mentally at home. They made it very clear that they knew when they enlisted into the Corps their mission was to kill. I sure as hell hope we dont ever have a large ground conflict,it might be a scary sight for us. I say this because there are soooooooo many recruits that write home to mommy, then write to their congressmen about how their DI cussed at them or pushed them. They then revise boot camp toughness with 1st term marriage classed, defensive driving classes and pampering WTF!!! Keep in mind the same recruit who wrote home to mommy because he was cussed at in recruit training may be the same turd that is next you in a fighting hole in some third world country. How would you feel then??

Sorry for the rant but this is my strong opinion and to me a legitimate gripe that should concern us all as Marines, not ahhh the poor boy is homesick and life is soooo bad and send him to the va to see the wizard to get help. Screw that garbage. Go talk to some hard charger veteran and you will find out what a hard life was. Semper fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    All that work on the thread in the hooch got me this.

Quote Originally Posted by Accord View Post
    I hate this damn state, I feel like i'm living in a post-apocolyptic America, except instead of biologically altered zombies running around, it's a bunch of ignorant, bible thumping, confederate flag waiving, rednecks. I look outside my window at trees with no leaves on it, I drive down endless country roads through corn fields on the way to work which is located in a city that is literally the armpit of this country and I just get depressed. I spent almost a year in a hell hole called Afghanistan and despite seeing horrible things and getting shot at every day, i'd rather spend another year in Afghanistan than another year in North Carolina. I try finding things to do like going to some of the decently sized cities like Raleigh or Charlotte, but still there is just nothing there. When I place an internet order and I put in "North Carolina" under the shipping information, it depresses me. Mabye I feel this way because my home town is Miami and I know that the grass is infact greener on the other side. The only reason I live here is because the United States government is forcing me to, and it is beyond me why anyone would ever decide to live here by choice unless they were either A) born here and don't know any different, or B) make a lot of money by living here. When I turn my local news on, I want to hear real news, not about the prize winning 350 pound hamlet named Jenny who won the contest for fattest pig at the farmers auction. When I went home to Miami for the first time in more than a year I actually cried when I stepped off the plane and saw my first palm tree and felt the 100% humidity touch my skin for the first time. People were actually walking around in shorts and lightly colored pastel shirts, not dungaree's, 25 year old timberland boots, plaid flannel shirts, and neon orange hunting hats. It was beautiful, just beautiful and at that very moment was the first time i've ever appreciated being... alive. The only thing more depressing? The closest state in relation to where I am right now is South Carolina.

Any fellow North Carolinian's (*barf*) feel the same way?

On another note, let's also see how many people i've ****ed off on here.
    Here you go eat your hart out .

http://www.vimby.com/video/music/us/...utm_medium=CPC

"When in Rome",I recall leaving Camp Lejeune for 29 Palms in 1966 ,upon arriving @LAX and a bus ride to Banning we waited for the Banning Bullet (the only public transportation to 29 Palms) and we were all in culture shock when we finally saw 29 Palms,but it turned out to be my favorite duty station!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    After having been on Diego for about two weeks the USS hector pulled into port and cut their crew loose on libbo. The only male onboard was the captain of the ship. 400 waves 100 Marines what's a guy to do? Go fishing? nahh Ride a bike nahh. Go to the e-club and .... well the rest of that story belongs in the hooch Freakin heaven I tell ya.

We had a newly promoted Cpl that had been a lance for 6 years on Duty Nco the day we did formal morning colors with the brits at their compound. Rifles and present arms and the full nine yards. The royal Marines raised their flag and we raised ours simultaneosly. Present arms and all that good stuff. We marched back to the company office and low and behold our newly promoted Cpl had ran our colors up the pole upside down. The first Sgt took that Marines chevrons off and threw them on the ground and took the a duty's chevrons off and handed them to him. The duty was again a lance corporal and the A duty was again a private. True story.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Zebra29er, Well said Marine!
    I tried to be nice in my post but you told it like it is.
    That's how I live my life but I was nice on this form.
    Thanks for your words.
    I'm and old fart and even though you say your not you sure sound like it.
    You were trained right.
    I got out because it was changing so much in 1972.
    But to me a Marine is still a Marine and is the BEST but none of us compare to other Marines that were before us.
    Semper Fi Redman1

Quote Originally Posted by redman1 View Post
    Zebra29er, Well said Marine!
    I tried to be nice in my post but you told it like it is.
    That's how I live my life but I was nice on this form.
    Thanks for your words.
    I'm and old fart and even though you say your not you sure sound like it.
    You were trained right.
    I got out because it was changing so much in 1972.
    But to me a Marine is still a Marine and is the BEST but none of us compare to other Marines that were before us.
    Semper Fi Redman1
    Redman1,I hear you loud and clear.I'm in the dark concerning modern day boot camp,but I know Parris Island In 1965 was brutal, where everyone got roughed up on a daily basis.A tour of duty in Vietnam( 13 months) there wasn't any phone calls home until R&R and Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet.The Marines before us, probably had it worse.

Well I remember a march through the swamp one night in our scivies and full packs in 1960 and getting off the bus and getting an attitude adjustment right off the get-go

Sounds like every other happy Marine i've ever heard!

Quote Originally Posted by SgtThrasher View Post
    "When in Rome",I recall leaving Camp Lejeune for 29 Palms in 1966 ,upon arriving @LAX and a bus ride to Banning we waited for the Banning Bullet (the only public transportation to 29 Palms) and we were all in culture shock when we finally saw 29 Palms,but it turned out to be my favorite duty station!
    Sgt. what outfit at the stumps I was with H&S waiting for my Medical discharge and Drove an ambulance from May till Aug. of that year , and done a lot of rock hunting LOL "The Largest marine Corps Bass in The World" smallest in personal LOL a couple of times I drove the "Cattle Car " to San Diego for USO shows

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I look outside my window at trees with no leaves on it, I drive down endless country roads through corn fields
    To each his own. Everyone has their "place".

For me:

I'd much rather live in rural, farmland, vast forested Country then a dirty city.

Evening driving through a suburban area makes me sick and depressed. Beautiful farms turned into developments. Deep woods which served as habitat for our wildlife- clear cut and turned into a shopping center.

There is no greater dissappointment then to see beautiful Country, home to beautiful wildlife and farms that feed humans, turned into a suburban nightmare or city hell.

However, my views are not one sided. I am not blind to the "opposing" view. I know what I like and why, thus- I understand what others like and why.

To each their own.

Like I said- I'd rather drive down vast Country roads on my way to a small town, then suburban streets on my way to a city. I'd rather interact with Country people, as in my experience, they are more real then city folk. City folk tend to be extremely competetive, ignorant to teh "green" aspect of things and are out for themselves.

Not to mention, they dont know what a REAL days work is.

Country for me- Anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra29er View Post
    Sgt. what outfit at the stumps I was with H&S waiting for my Medical discharge and Drove an ambulance from May till Aug. of that year , and done a lot of rock hunting LOL "The Largest marine Corps Bass in The World" smallest in personal LOL a couple of times I drove the "Cattle Car " to San Diego for USO shows
    We went to 29 Palms to form 5th 155 gun battery(SP), but we were in the 8" howitzer (SP) we had 2 platoons
    training to go to Vietnam.We arrived August 66 and went to Vietnam Feb 68. We were there 17 months and I really liked the base and the liberty options available.We had a great group of Marines and were together a long time and were closer than family.

I did a year at Camp Lejeune and I actually liked it. I can't think of any bad experiences while I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtThrasher View Post
    I went to 29 Palms in May 1973. Flew into Palm Springs from Alaska. That's when I first knew what hot really was! Took the Blue Streak, an old bus, from the airport to the base. What a ride...no air conditioning on that thing! Had some good times at the Stumps, but didn't miss it when I left. When to Ft Monmouth, NJ for some more schooling and then went to Camp Lejuene, which was my first permanent duty station.

Thread Information