My rant about the state of North Carolina - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei View Post
    Better get down to the Commissary to get some cheese for that whine...
    I just walked back in the house with 7 packages of fat free string cheese from Food Lion. I am not joking, i'll even take pictures to prove it!

Quote Originally Posted by Accord View Post
    I just walked back in the house with 7 packages of fat free string cheese from Food Lion. I am not joking, i'll even take pictures to prove it!
    Buddy, Le Jeune is what ya make of it. It's winter so that limits the choices some. Some suggestions of things to do: I assume you are single, Take a 96 with some friends to Atlanta, North to Norfolk, or west to Winston-Salem. Summer: Wilmington has Orton Plantation, USS North Carolina, and numerous restaraunts. Get creative Man. Use the internet to find sh-t to do. There's tons of stuff. Everything doesn't have to involve partying. The internet, and Google is the key. Trust me, you will be surprised how many historical sites, and just plain cool sites there are within a days drive of Jacksonville. SF

Credits
    Savings
    Son, you have what a lot of us, or at least me, had.

You are feeling as though you have let your buddies down.

They are there, you are here.

Do yourself a favor. Get laid, pick up some rank, and go back.

You'll feel a bunch better.

Trust me on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Accord View Post
    I thought the same thing for the first 9 months I was stuck in Oki. Then I actually got out and started LIVING there and I enjoyed it so much that I re-upped for 3 years.

No place is home. But every place is what you make of it.

I thought the same thing for the first 9 months I was stuck in Oki. Then I actually got out and started LIVING there and I enjoyed it so much that I re-upped for 3 years.

No place is home. But every place is what you make of it.
    What Lt said.

Credits
    Savings
    I hated NC until I realized the people were just like the folks up home in PA, just hard to understand. Even dressed the same.
    Find the clubs in Raleigh and Chapel Hill around the college's. Head up to Greenville. Plenty of Clubs around ECU.
    Don't like that, take up golfing. Some great courses here in the Tarheel.
    Have a 4X4. head to Uwarhie National Forest. Great trails. Up in Goldsboro there is a huge area of mud and dirt trails for anything with wheels.
    Recreational shooting. There used to be a range up 17 off to the left. Greenville has a great range.
    Not far off the tourists will be flocking into Myrtle Beach. Plenty of fun for a singal guy.
    Like the Lt. said. It's what you make of it. Beatch and moan, you aren't gonna ever like it. It may never be your favorite place, but it can be a place you have good memories of.

I actually got out and started LIVING there and I enjoyed it so much that I re-upped for 3 years. No place is home. But every place is what you make of it.
    Here is some sage advice. ^^ Quit crying and start trying. If you focus on the bad, it will consume you. If you try to the best of your ability to make lemonade out of lemons (some would say adapt, improvise, overcome, or some such $h!t), you may just learn to enjoy yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 3522 View Post
    Here is some sage advice. ^^ Quit crying and start trying. If you focus on the bad, it will consume you. If you try to the best of your ability to make lemonade out of lemons (some would say adapt, improvise, overcome, or some such $h!t), you may just learn to enjoy yourself.
    Well said. Life is what you make it. I could have fun and enjoy myself practically anywhere because I see no purpose in whining. If you look for shiat you will find it.

Take a diving lesson, get qualified to sky dive, get some education, do some weekend rappelling, do something but buy cheese at Food Lion, get out of the general area where all the Jarheads are at and try to live life a little.

And no offense, but I've been to Miami and it's a shi*t hole, same as Bayone NJ, the armpit of the country,, I'd rather live in Cuba then live in Miami,, wait it's the same place,,,, might not be worse then Lejeune but it aint that far off.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    John, I feel your pain old buddy. I have watched you go from an over motivated Poolee to a well motivated Recruit, then finally a well motivated Marine. I saw the post about your training in SOI, your attemt to get in Recon, and hurt your foot or ankle or something. Then I saw you get into your first Fleet unit, still well motivated and good to go!

I saw a Marine in the Fleet that was even more motivated about finally going to the sand box, the love you'd be leaving behind. I saw your post from the war. But what I saw most was my pup was growing into a hard charging Marine Warrior.

In my day we were in the jungle, we got orders, we loaded on a chopper to DaNang, got on a Freedom Bird and came home to "THE WORLD". We had thoughts of the men we left behind, in those jungles, we felt like we betrayed them because we were here and they were still there fighting a war that wasn't finished yet.

We were young Marines (I was 18) and Pfcs or L/Cpls. The stateside Marines didn't know our experience because we wore our cammies (utilities at the time) so we were treated like every other PFC or L/Cpl by boot L/cpl and Cpls with no combat experience.

While "IN COUNTRY" we were more relaxed, we did our jobs and no one gave a dam about field days or inspections and such, now all of a sudden they do and they do it a lot. We went thru culture shock going over there, then the same thing coming back, go figure!

It didn't matter where they send you in CONUS it was the same old thing! Everyone hated it, the married Marines hated it, the kids hated it. There nothing to do. We were better Marines than the non combat Marines (so we thought)!

Every Marine that deploys goes thru the same thing! Unfortunately some see more than others, God Bless them, but we all have to fit in, in the real world! Right now your real world is Camp LeJeune. It wouldn't be any different if you were at 8th & I or any where else. You have to get over that experience in your own way. Some never get over it, some do! Today there is help for you, if you ask for it, to help you transition back to this side of the world.

Deep inside you are the same FAT KID that lost 80 lbs to join our beloved Corps just a few monthe ago. You are still that same old John, but you have to find that fellow, he's there deep inside you somewhere, I promise!

It don't matter what war or conflict you're involved in, it's the same thing for all of us. Pull your head out of your ass and thank the good lord that you came home alive and well. Your mission isn't over yet Marine, train the young ones with your experience, after all they will be covering your 6 the next time you go over there!

You're what half way thru your enlistment? Work hard, train hard, train your men with your experience, keep them alive and they will look after you.

Don't worry about what state your in, you'd hate any of them if wasn't Florida, right now! Improvise, adapt, overcome Marine!

Semper Fi My Fine brother, and please know you can PM me anytime I can help you out, ok?

Dave

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    DavBlay....Very good! The problems that Marines, and Corpsmen, suffer when they return to "The World", were SUPPOSED to be aided by "Re-Adjustment Counseling", Vet Centers, and the V.A. Trying to "fit back into society", was the goal, BUT.....depending on a Marines' duty, while "in country", has taken THIS LONG, for the shrinks, and Ph D's, to realize, that symptoms of P.T.S.D., have different stages of severity. Finding one's place, in our society, after Combat exposure, is often impossible, without constant counseling, and appropriate medication, to help with depression, and combat guilt. Asking for help, doesn't make you a P***Y! It's just like treating a dam wound, that keeps festering-up, and needs attention, now and then. Jrdh97......fear bullets, mortars, RPG'S, and rockets....NOT getting some personal assistance from the Corps, and the Navy. My best to you....BRO....ALWAYS FAITHFUL.....Doc Greek

Or get away from the the night clubs, off the blacktop, and join the local outdoorsmen. Many of whom are fellow Marines. It's actually quite peacefull and serene when your not force marching 1/2 your bodyweight and engaging ass holes http://www.silvercreek-llc.com/forums/

Better get down to the Commissary to get some cheese for that whine...
    no doubt.

Your getting paid to do a job!! Deal with it.

Not trying to be an azz but maybe if the Marine Corps trained Killers instead if boyscouts we wouldnt have so much ptsd

we are sending alot of mentally weak marines into combat. Anyone can graduate from our revised bootcamp now and there is NO emphasis on becoming a killer. There is no more of the "if you join the marines you are training to become a war machine, a killer in combat, a warrior-not at all anymore, that mentality is gone, shoot you cant even use the word "kill" at basic anymore.

Now its "hey look, im sure glad we can bring our laptops and cell phones to SOI to check our myspace and facebook" what the F$$$ is that? Im not an old fart lol and when I went to soi 9 years ago it was 8 weeks of being in the field learning weapons, patrolling, mach combat ops etc. We got 2 weekends of libo towards the end and that was it. There was no cell phones or laptops allowed. You couldnt even bring a pair of headphones and a cd player.

It was made very clear to us that we were at soi for one reason. To train our minds and body to survive in combat, to not get ourselves or other marines killed and to complete the targeted objective, period. Not to worry about checking my friends request on myspace or calling "suzy rotten crotch back home"

Its all about the training, sure some ppl will be mentally weak after combat and suffer from whatever you want to call it, but if you train the marine, make him a disciplined warrior he will survive combat and thrive as a leader back home after his time in country and be successful.

Maybe some may think Im off the mark but its probably only the New generation of Marines

I was raised around nam vets, korean war vets, my free time was spent in the young marines program sharpening my skills and helping out at the local post's and legion halls. Ive talked to those Marines who were in country during nam and talked with them about the carnage and fear they endured during the fighting. Talking to them about being on a patrol either in platoon or squad depth and being one of the 2 or 3 that made it out alive after an ambush, and guess what? They have no hard feelings, mental dissorders nothing. They thank god for their "TRAINING" that kept them squared away both in combat and mentally at home. They made it very clear that they knew when they enlisted into the Corps their mission was to kill. I sure as hell hope we dont ever have a large ground conflict,it might be a scary sight for us. I say this because there are soooooooo many recruits that write home to mommy, then write to their congressmen about how their DI cussed at them or pushed them. They then revise boot camp toughness with 1st term marriage classed, defensive driving classes and pampering WTF!!! Keep in mind the same recruit who wrote home to mommy because he was cussed at in recruit training may be the same turd that is next you in a fighting hole in some third world country. How would you feel then??

Sorry for the rant but this is my strong opinion and to me a legitimate gripe that should concern us all as Marines, not ahhh the poor boy is homesick and life is soooo bad and send him to the va to see the wizard to get help. Screw that garbage. Go talk to some hard charger veteran and you will find out what a hard life was. Semper fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Accord, remember this; N. Carolina IS a part of Florida; it's where we store our mountains!

The western part of the state has so many Foridians that the locals have hats that say "Hell No I'm Not From Florida, I Live Here". I don't like cold or season changes either, I prefer to live where you can wear shorts and a T-shirt at least 350 days a year. But it is not a life time, no one is shooting at you (yet, that may change if the locals hear you b1tch too much). Lots of historical stuff within driving range. Hell, a lot of people actually choose to vacation up there. Find out why! (it escapes me, but I'm a "sand in my shoes" Floridian too). Take the time to decompress and smell the roses (or Betty Lous, Cindys, or other Lolita types in the AO). Just remember, "This Too Shall Pass!" Good luck! Play Jimmy Buffet songs and cry into your pillow if nothing else! LOL!

Thread Information