Expert marksman
Create Post
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Expert marksman

Expert marksman

I have a question on tips for shooting expert at boot camp and some basic knowledge of the process. How many days do you train with the rifle (live rounds) before practicing and how many shots, if any, can you drop and still shoot expert. Also, do you have to hit the middle of the target to accumulate more points or just score a hit on the target?

depends what yard line adn the best thing to get ready for it is dont do anything till you get to the range. Its easier to teach a person who has never held a gun than it is to break a person of bad habits.

To answer your other question, you have snapping in which is usually a week and then you have firing week which you qual at the end.

The black part of the target gets you 5 points, other hits are worth less points, and misses are worth nothing. You shoot 50 rounds at 5 rounds each. You have to reach 220 points for expert. So if you can lose 30 points.

I was a deputy for two years and shot extremely well with my pistol and took the class award for pistol marksmanship so I know I wont have a problem with at least qualifiying but I really want to shoot expert. How difficult is it in boot camp to shoot, is it fairly obtainable or almost unheard of?

I am not saying this to be rude or anything, but it is people with that attitude that end up not qualifying. You have to listen to your PMI and coaches in order to do well. Those that do not have prior shooting experience almost always do better than those that do.

That said, it isn't difficult to shoot expert (in bootcamp or the fleet) if you apply the fundamentals. You've heard the mantra of "front sight- press" many times I am sure. Add breath control, consistent cheek weld, and solid positions and you'll be on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanna serve Stl
    I was a deputy for two years and shot extremely well with my pistol and took the class award for pistol marksmanship so I know I wont have a problem with at least qualifiying
    that may be true for shooting your way. But you have no idea how you'll do once you begin shooting the Corps way.

I was a deputy for two years and shot extremely well with my pistol and took the class award for pistol marksmanship so I know I wont have a problem with at least qualifiying but I really want to shoot expert. How difficult is it in boot camp to shoot, is it fairly obtainable or almost unheard of?
    A good percentage of recruits shoot expert as can be attested by their badges on graduation day. The best thing you can do is assume you know nothing about the skill and listen/apply all that we teach you. Failure to adopt proper technique is the fastest way to fail on the range.

Shooting pistol for law enforcement is very different from learning how to shoot rifle. With pistol, shooting position, breathing, and sight alignment/picture do not affect your accuracy as much as on the rifle range. This should be obvious since the farthest you'll qualify with a pistol is 25 yards and the closest we shoot on the rifle range is 200 yards.

We don't care about your past, good or bad. We will bust you into the sand and create a Marine with your blood, sweat and tears.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was a deputy for two years and shot extremely well with my pistol and took the class award for pistol marksmanship so I know I wont have a problem with at least qualifying but I really want to shoot expert. How difficult is it in boot camp to shoot, is it fairly obtainable or almost unheard of?
    Police pistol shooting is not the same as service rifle shooting. I know this very well having been a Marine (M-14 and M-16), an MP, a police officer, a police firearms instructor at two academies, and a competitive M-14 rifle shooter in the Air National Guard.

Whereas some basics transfer (slght picture/sight alignment). The sights are different between a pistol and an M-16, plus the ranges are much different.

Pistol trigger pull is different as is the grip on the weapon. Shooting positions are very different.

You might be high shooter in your academy class with a pistol, but that doesn't necessarily translate to high shooter in boot camp with an M-16.

As has been said: pay attention to the PMI and coaches. Do as they teach, not as you think it should be.

Thanks for the feedback. I knew that the two were quite a bit different, meaning combat pistol training vs. rifle marksmanship. It just means a lot to me to shoot expert, especially since the Marine Corps places a lot of emphasis in that area.

It should be noted that I didn't say that I didn't think I would have a problem to be cocky...it's just that I thought I already had basic knowledge of marksmanship but I know that I have had nowhere near the training or trigger time needed to shoot well with an M-16. Im going to take the advicea and just forget anything that ive learned prior and try to soak up all the knowledge the PMI and coaches give me and give it my best shot.

It should be noted that I didn't say that I didn't think I would have a problem to be cocky...it's just that I thought I already had basic knowledge of marksmanship but I know that I have had nowhere near the training or trigger time needed to shoot well with an M-16. Im going to take the advicea and just forget anything that ive learned prior and try to soak up all the knowledge the PMI and coaches give me and give it my best shot.
    That's the right attitude. Now go sign up.

I will enlist as soon as possible. I just had ear surgery and it's a 120 day wait to be able to enlist. It sucks but oh well. Gives me a little time to get in better shape I guess.

You'll be fine if you listen to what you are taught. With a week of grass fire and then a week of shooting with coaches at your side the whole time they can turn anyone into an expert if you'll just let them.

hey im darrell im about to be 18 and im solid on joining the marines been a dream of mine to be a marine force recon sniper since 3rd grade my teacher *former marine* got me into the idea an iv been rolling with it ever since, i want to shoot expert when i go threw basic and im already a good shot im from a big military backgrounded family i wanted to get as much information about basic training and shot tips and the do and donts as i can........so tips and advice left here would be much appreciated

or if anyone has a myspace they can add me and i can convese with them on there (it wold be faster)

emails: darrellxhardcore@yahoo.com

much appreciated

-Darrell pugin
    Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by soon to be usmc View Post
    hey im darrell im about to be 18 and im solid on joining the marines been a dream of mine to be a marine force recon sniper since 3rd grade my teacher *former marine* got me into the idea an iv been rolling with it ever since, i want to shoot expert when i go threw basic and im already a good shot im from a big military backgrounded family i wanted to get as much information about basic training and shot tips and the do and donts as i can........so tips and advice left here would be much appreciated

or if anyone has a myspace they can add me and i can convese with them on there (it wold be faster)

emails: darrellxhardcore@yahoo.com

much appreciated

-Darrell pugin
    Semper Fidelis
    Ok really, you're joking right?

Thread Information