Mcmap - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mcmap

all you really learn as a recruit is really just how to break fall...

and to all the poolees remember....MCMAP is based off of combat situations...alot of what you will learn is based on if u have a combat load on which has a lot to do with your stance which is why they call it a combat stance

Quote Originally Posted by THAT AINT IT View Post
    Yeah, you're going to think it's great stuff when the instructor has you "drop the weight" for 20+ minutes because he/she thinks you're not sounding off.
    Oh my God...those bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    I definately agree with 0231. There are two main problems with practicing the moves you see on youtube. One: if you are not trained by a professional, you are probably doing them wrong. You do NOT want to develop bad habits prior to shipping, this includes shooting as well. Best thing to do is wait 'til you get to boot, they will teach you all you need to know (bad habits are hard to break). Two: you could end up hurting yourself (or someone you know). If you injure yourself while in the dep program (broken bone, torn muscle, etc), you will not be shipping out for a while (possibly never). It is easy to hurt yourself with MCMAP, especially if you are not supervised by an experienced instructor.
    That CANNOT be said better. I agree with these Marines, poolees PLEASE do not do anything stupid and try to follow any videos you see. While I'm sure MCMAP is different, I'm trained in self-defense (police academy standards), and unless you are trained by a professional instructor, you could mess up yourself/someone else really bad.

The best thing to do is nothing at all, seriously. We did handcuffing and a lot of strikes/locks. If you do these wrong, you can seriously injure a person via nerves, broken bones, etc. We also did falling, and a lot of other things. It was fun, and I'm sure you guys will get your chance, just don't rush things. Do it right the first time!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by polizei View Post
    That CANNOT be said better. I agree with these Marines, poolees PLEASE do not do anything stupid and try to follow any videos you see. While I'm sure MCMAP is different, I'm trained in self-defense (police academy standards), and unless you are trained by a professional instructor, you could mess up yourself/someone else really bad.

The best thing to do is nothing at all, seriously. We did handcuffing and a lot of strikes/locks. If you do these wrong, you can seriously injure a person via nerves, broken bones, etc. We also did falling, and a lot of other things. It was fun, and I'm sure you guys will get your chance, just don't rush things. Do it right the first time!

I'm shaking in my boots.

For the record MCMAP is not designed to turn you into some frigggin Jon Claude Van Dam who can take anyone in a street fight. It's geared towards close quarter combat situations with full gear on, and is designed to give the Marine options if he finds himself in a situation where he isn't able to utilize his rifle and must go hand to hand.

Anyway, you'll come to find out just how much you'll hate MCMAP when you get to bootcamp. It's not all glamorous when you have 3 D.I.'s in your face telling you to sound off when you execute the leg sweep the upteenth time. The way you expierence MCMAP in bootcamp is similar to how it is in the fleet also. MCMAP instructors or fierce and many of them are intent on making you earn that next belt.

A couple months ago I recieved my gray belt and I can say that was easily some of the roughest 2 weeks of my life. Took me forever to recover from the beating my body took.

Credits
    Savings
    Don't yall go trying to defend MCMAP. At least through gray and tan it is just dumb. I think many brown and black belts who are dangerous have pursued other training on their own time. The belt itself does not mean as much as they let on.

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    I'm shaking in my boots.
    LCpl., why might I ask are you shaking in your boots from my response?

Credits
    Savings
    'Cause you sound like a genuine bad-ass. You're not going to hurt me, are you mister?

Hrm, that was not my intention, nor did I ever claim to be. I was stating the fact that it is ESSENTIAL to be trained by a professional or you will end up hurting yourself or others. I was using my personal experience to relate to the topic. I don't understand how I came off as a "bad-ass." That most-certainly wasn't my intended purpose.

Don't yall go trying to defend MCMAP. At least through gray and tan it is just dumb. I think many brown and black belts who are dangerous have pursued other training on their own time. The belt itself does not mean as much as they let on.
    Must admit, I'm a bit perplexed there Lance Corporal. I wasn't trying to defend the belt. However I was stating that the belt courses themselves are usually physically tough and will put a beating on your body.

I mean aside from all the typical strikes and body hardening, we ran for miles in flaks, fireman carries for roughly a mile, squad pushups, low-crawls with someone on your back, fireman squats, ran backwards up a giant friggin hill, sit-ups with our legs wrapped around another waist as he held our belt, built a house (cant explain), the list goes on and on. Gray belt course was grueling.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by polizei View Post
    Hrm, that was not my intention, nor did I ever claim to be. I was stating the fact that it is ESSENTIAL to be trained by a professional or you will end up hurting yourself or others. I was using my personal experience to relate to the topic. I don't understand how I came off as a "bad-ass." That most-certainly wasn't my intended purpose.

You guys are all too serious. But I guess that's better than being not serious enough, right? Yeah I was just fvckin with you, no offense intended. Have fun!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by biesseb View Post
    Must admit, I'm a bit perplexed there Lance Corporal. I wasn't trying to defend the belt. However I was stating that the belt courses themselves are usually physically tough and will put a beating on your body.

I mean aside from all the typical strikes and body hardening, we ran for miles in flaks, fireman carries for roughly a mile, squad pushups, low-crawls with someone on your back, fireman squats, ran backwards up a giant friggin hill, sit-ups with our legs wrapped around another waist as he held our belt, built a house (cant explain), the list goes on and on. Gray belt course was grueling.

First off, good on you guys for getting crazy with it, but gray belt doesn't have to be that crazy.

We didn't finish but our was going to be one business week. M-F. 2 days tan belt remediation, 3 days gray belt. That is the biggest problem with this program-uniformity. You died to get your gray belt, and most green belts I know, well, you know the type, right? I don't want to disillusion anyone here.

Freakin MCMAP....I should be a green belt x2. Took the course twice. Each time, right before we tested out, the instructor went TAD somewhere else! And when he came back and we'd hit him up about it, he told us he didn't have time.....bastard....

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
    Freakin MCMAP....I should be a green belt x2. Took the course twice. Each time, right before we tested out, the instructor went TAD somewhere else! And when he came back and we'd hit him up about it, he told us he didn't have time.....bastard....

I guess you should have hit him harder...

I guess you should have hit him harder...
    Come to think of it, he was probably just pizzed that I got him in a triangle choke while grappling him....oops......

Thread Information