Gaining weight
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining weight

Gaining weight

Hey Poolees,

I just wanted to see if anyone had suggestions to put more weight specifically muscle. I am about 5'8'' and 130 pounds and just want to bulk up a little more but its tough because I am also trying to get my run time faster. I would appreciate suggestions.

Klynt

What i did to gain weight was eat everything I could, and when I got full I ate a little more. More specifically for breakfast I would to skin 2 potatoes than make homemade hasbrowns, eat 6 boiled eggs, some fruit, and some kind of meat. Than after my afternoon workout I would eat 2 cans of tuna fish. Than later in the day I would eat another snack like a sandwhich. Than i would eat dinner followed by another late night meal consisting mainly of protein. The main thing to know when you wanna gain weight ecspecially muscle is to eat a lot of protein(chicken, fish, boiled eggs, and meat) you will also need a lot of carbs because that is where you get your energy. Than make sure you eat a lot of protein or take a protein shake before you go to bed because that is when your muscles grow. I hope this helps a little for ya.

Credits
    Savings
    I just went to the gym and had a protein shake after....also try eating a little healthier. I went from 120 in 10th grade to 186 in 11th grade and now im a senior and still around 186-190.

DRINK BEER ,,,no just drink some protein drinks after breakfast ,lunch, and dinner, and work out with some weights to build some musle. don't eat alot of food it will get you later in life. i know it has got me.

Thank you all for your responses. I will use all the advice.

I've got the same problem as you. Go to GNC and buy weight gainer, or Mass XXX, either one is good.

It sucks to drink but it gives you 1000 calories easy, do that, lift every other day and eat a bunch and in about two weeks you should have gained around 2-4 lbs of muscle, any more and its just water.

You'll gain weight and then plataeu so you have to keep lifting, but you'll get bigger. I gained 19 lbs in one semester and then have slowly gone up since. Also its genetics. Some people just have the body type to get big quick, others dont.

-Jake

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Back in high-school, me and a good friend of mine started going to the gym daily for a long period of time, my friend took the easy way and got on steroids, I researched alot and found out some ways to gain weight and mass.

Ill just give you a couple of ideas, that i used (I went from about 130 to 155 lbs in not that much time.) Instead of eating just 3 meals a day and eating alot at those times, Eat 6 meals a day, but make them smaller, make everything you eat have alot of protein (Peanut butter, Tuna, Fish, Chicken.) Use heavier weights but perform fewer repetitions, or reps, to build muscle mass instead of trying to get toned. Go out and buy some protein powder and drink a protein shake after your breakfeast and before bed meal. Dont do to much areboics, (maybe one time a week for a quick 15 minutes)

Those are a few tips i can give you that worked great. By the way if i might add, my friend that took roids, sure he got swole, went from about 150 to about 200 in 12 weeks, but now hes back down to around 150-160, with only a little more muscle that he started with, grows hair all over his body and from what ive heard cant keep an erection. and I have kept the 20+ lbs I gained with alot more muscle kept, and better shape.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Not like I would know or it's my place to say this, but I would NOT do
    Use heavier weights but perform fewer repetitions, or reps, to build muscle mass instead of trying to get toned. Go out and buy some protein powder and drink a protein shake after your breakfeast and before bed meal. Dont do to much areboics, (maybe one time a week for a quick 15 minutes)
    From what I've read from other Marines (and I'm guessing you are training for the Marine Corps and not a body building competition), I would run, distance and sprints, do push ups, pull ups and sit ups as your main concentration for training. You want to have more muscular endurance than bruit strength.
    But to gain weight.....eat more calories than you burn.

Just my opinion on the matter, I may be incorrect because I'm not a Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BackhausD View Post
    Not like I would know or it's my place to say this, but I would NOT do
    From what I've read from other Marines (and I'm guessing you are training for the Marine Corps and not a body building competition), I would run, distance and sprints, do push ups, pull ups and sit ups as your main concentration for training. You want to have more muscular endurance than bruit strength.
    But to gain weight.....eat more calories than you burn.

Just my opinion on the matter, I may be incorrect because I'm not a Marine.
    I wasnt advertising to go out and do this, but the guy who started this thread, said he wanted to gain muscle mass and "bulk" and this is the way to "bulk".

Now if he said "what are ways I can work out and train to become better fit for the marines", then I would have suggested different things.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    All I'm saying is that since he is a poolee, I wouldn't advise trying to bulk up.
    I guess I should have been more clear.

This information is very enlightening. Here's my two cents (not even that because I'm just a poolee):

Do it smart! You can go to McDonald's and eat three big mac's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And you'll definitely put on weight. But, eating like that will only harden your arteries and come back to bite you (in the form of a heart attack).

Resistance training is the way to build muscle mass. If you don't really have any experience, it is unbelievably easy to really injure yourself. That last thing any one wants while in the DEP. Go to a gym, get a trainer. Provided you have the means to do something like that.

If not, as a poolee I would definitely have to say that the best thing to do is work on your endurance, like previously posted. Ladder type exercise routines with pull ups, push ups, and sit ups can prove to be very beneficial. And will no doubt help increase your muscle mass. I have seen some of the smallest guys crank out 14-20 pull ups.

Hope this helps.
    Marines please correct me if I'm wrong.

Gee, this sounds harder than losing weight...
    Good luck!

I GAINED 5 LBS IN MUSCLE MASS IN THE LAST MONTH BY JUST EATING PROBIBLY DOUBLE WHAT I USED TO CONSUME, AND DOING PLENTY OF EXCERCISING.

JUST EAT (HEALTHY FOODS BY THE WAY ) AND EXCERCISE.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BackhausD View Post
    All I'm saying is that since he is a poolee, I wouldn't advise trying to bulk up.
    I guess I should have been more clear.
    It's okay to want to improve upon yourself before going in, and if that means putting on a few lbs then so be it. I was actually in a similar situation with my own underweight. I did some research and read some material on weight gain and the tried and true method for many seems to be the 'Go Heavy' method with less repetitions. Although, in the long run, great cardio will probably be the best bet; in boot camp, after boot, and in your later life.

On a side note, going in light means double rations which might not be such a bad thing... Anyways good luck with your program.

Eat raw eggs, It really helps. Now I am not saying crack open a egg and enjoy I am saying do wht ever you want to, get some fruit,sugar free sherbert,ice,orange juice and just crack a egg or two in there(add some protein powder if you want to to,or Endurance or EndurX from GNC). I swear you can't taste the egg do that beofre your major work-out of the day and right before you go to bed.

Thread Information